PDA

View Full Version : Eye candy

nearnexus
27th September 2013, 07:29 PM
I've got a full sized tripod now, so I can get a bit more artistic with my videos.

Here's the latest effort.

Old lathe magic - my Schaublin 102 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZnFZNCCCU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXGgjDg8p1nJBgHdxPdvkjQ)

Cheers

Rob

Scott
27th September 2013, 10:29 PM
Very sweet lathe you have there, as you said, full of character.

One thing I found annoying with the video was static background noise (not the Minors, Doves and other bird life!).

Great vid though, very enjoyable :)

nearnexus
27th September 2013, 11:21 PM
Very sweet lathe you have there, as you said, full of character.

One thing I found annoying with the video was static background noise (not the Minors, Doves and other bird life!).

Great vid though, very enjoyable :)

Thanks for the feed back.

I hadn't noticed the crackle till I turned up the volume.

I just checked the original clip I uploaded and that was OK, so it looks like it's comming from the YouTube processing at their end.

Nothing I can do about that.

Rob

j.ashburn
28th September 2013, 10:23 AM
I've got a full sized tripod now, so I can get a bit more artistic with my videos.

Here's the latest effort.

Old lathe magic - my Schaublin 102 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZnFZNCCCU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXGgjDg8p1nJBgHdxPdvkjQ)

Cheers

Rob
A very nice machine you have now compared to what it was at the start.There is one issue that can trap the unwary that is the anti clock wise in feed on the cross slide.
Drummond round beds have the same anti clock wise for the longitudinal feed. The Australian version is corrected with the normal clock wise rotation.
Very early Drummonds pre B type had 2 small gears at the tailstock end of the bed to compensate or the correct[well what is correct? what is the norm?]clock wise handle rotation.
Its is a challenge to remember what machine you are using.No room for ''old timers episodes''. cheers and enjoy your machine as we all have in its rebirth. J.

nearnexus
28th September 2013, 01:34 PM
A very nice machine you have now compared to what it was at the start.There is one issue that can trap the unwary that is the anti clock wise in feed on the cross slide.
Drummond round beds have the same anti clock wise for the longitudinal feed. The Australian version is corrected with the normal clock wise rotation.
Very early Drummonds pre B type had 2 small gears at the tailstock end of the bed to compensate or the correct[well what is correct? what is the norm?]clock wise handle rotation.
Its is a challenge to remember what machine you are using.No room for ''old timers episodes''. cheers and enjoy your machine as we all have in its rebirth. J.

The reverse action cross slide feed is something that certainly takes concentration after using a modern lathe.

Schaubllin Yahoo group recon this is wrong on my lathe, but I'm not sure. The shaft and threaded bush may have been replaced at some stage.

The tailstock has been converted to Morse 1 at some stage, which apparently was quite a common modification.

The cross slide feed dials suggest that the screw thread is wrong, as they are incremented clockwise.

Been a challenging and rewarding exercise, and like Ewan I don't really need another lathe, but hey, makes life interesting, and it's only a very small outlay.

I seem to be good at accumulating more old mechanical stuff than I need :)

Cheers

Rob