PDA

View Full Version : Delta vibration

diamonds
26th May 2005, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone, I purchased a Delta 16" from a Woodworking Show about 6 months ago and have been having great fun with it. It does seem to have excessive vibration though and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on things to check. It is currently bolted to a rather solid desk. Thank you all.

David H
26th May 2005, 01:02 PM
Just a suggestion to check your drive belts. Have heard that you can do better reducing vibration by running segmented belts if thats what they call them

Cheers
David H

Iain
26th May 2005, 01:30 PM
If it's only 6 months old it should still be under warranty, take it back to your supplier this time.

Dean
26th May 2005, 02:35 PM
Sounds normal. My Delta 16" jumps around too unless bolted down to something with some serious bulk. You probably need something more solid. Like a cast iron table. Actually how heavy is the desk? It may be solid but still not heavy enough. The more weight in the thing holding it up, the better.

Iain
26th May 2005, 02:41 PM
The worst I encountered was a Proxxon, it would walk around the workshop bench and all, my deWalt has sod all vibration but is the opposite end of the scale.
I also have two GMC's for teaching, the cheaper one vibrates but is not unmanagable and the more expensive unit with the variable speed is not too bad at all.
Now given that Delta are a reasonable unit, and I would suggest better than my 'expensive' GMC I would suggest that there is a problem somewhere and would be querying the supplier.

diamonds
26th May 2005, 06:00 PM
Thank you to all who have replied. I think I will try to find a more suitable (solid) base for it before I take it back to the supplier. I bought it from Carba-tec Bayswater at a show in Tassie-don't know if that will turn out to be grief or not but I made sure that I didn't buy at the lowest end of the bracket as I already took back a GMC and Ryobi. Would there be any benefit to putting some sort of rubber matting underneath it?

Iain
26th May 2005, 07:16 PM
Thank you to all who have replied. I think I will try to find a more suitable (solid) base for it before I take it back to the supplier. I bought it from Carba-tec Bayswater at a show in Tassie-don't know if that will turn out to be grief or not but I made sure that I didn't buy at the lowest end of the bracket as I already took back a GMC and Ryobi. Would there be any benefit to putting some sort of rubber matting underneath it?
No, either you have a major vibration problem or you don't, contact carbatec Qld who are the demi gods and outline your problem.

scooter
26th May 2005, 09:46 PM
Gday diamonds, your saw may well be the same as mine, the 16" variable speed delta with quick top clamp, 40-540 I think it is.

I'd try lubricating the pivot points (towards the rear of the arms) on both top & bottom arms, I did a fair amount of searching on the web before lashing out on mine and there were a few reports of various Delta models being poorly greased when bought.

From memory (it's cold outside...) the side cover just unscrews which exposes the pivots, undo the bolts that hold the arms on and grease away. I think I cleaned out what there was of the old goo & replaced it all with some lithium grease.

Made my saw run quieter & smoother.

Most scrollsaws have a small degree of vibration, the Dewalts & Excaliburs have a different linkage arrangement for the arms and are reputed to be pretty smooth. It does help anyway to have the saw bolted or clamped down to a solid base, if the vibes are still excessive after that & the lubing I'd be contacting the dealer.

BTW, I bought the delta to replace a GMC & the new saw does vibrate less, even though the GMC wasn't too bad in that regard.

Another suggestion, check out how your table tilts and returns to 90 degrees; mine needed a little of the casting under the table filed away to properly sit flat on the stop bolt.

I made the scrollsaw stand from WOOD magazine plans sourced on the net out of roughly 3" x 2" redgum bearers with a 32-odd mm chipboard top, saw is bolted down to this and is plenty heavy enough without being unmanageable to move around if needed.

Good luck with your saw..............cheers...........Sean, from the Snowy River delta :)

diamonds
26th May 2005, 10:28 PM
Thank you Sean. Will check the lubrication-all advice is welcome. Melissa

diamonds
28th May 2005, 11:43 AM
Many thanks to all-especially Scooter and PM from Dean. Even though my saw has only had about 5 hours use so far I removed the pivot bolts intending to get rid of old grease and then re-grease as per manual. Surprise , surprise they were dry as a bone. Many happy scrolling hours to come now. Melissa

sailingamerican
29th May 2005, 06:39 PM
Almost all the scroll saws need oiling. Even the Hawk and Hagner need lube. The new Hawks have thrust berrings and they say you do not need to oil that model. Either you have a direct drive or a very small belt and a link belt will not work they are to big. How hard are you pulling on the blade to insert it before clamping. It might be that you are not letting enough room for the stroke. If it is too tight it might jerk causing vibration. These small machines do not vibrate much. If it is mounted on a heavy desk and noththing works take it back. Delta home line has made a lot of bad products. Deltas professional line is great. Delta made variable speed bench top drill presses that broke and all were recalled. Their llittle shaper tilts when you tighten it and I could go on. I have 4 scroll saws. Not that I want or need that many. Just picked them up cheap. I have 4 sons and when thy come I give them tools and machines. I have 2 Hawks 1 Delta p-20 and an old Atles 24" No vibration in any of them I gave a Dremel to my son and it had no vibration. If the cam is not lined up with the stroke pivit it can jerk but I doubt that would be the problem. hope you find the problem.

diamonds
29th May 2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks-the problem was the greasing. Running well now though.

scooter
30th May 2005, 01:32 AM
Good to hear Melissa, good luck, & don't be a stranger 'round here !!

Cheers...........Sean, sometime fretter :)

oges
31st May 2005, 02:07 PM
No problem with the 16" Deltas we use in our club, will have to check the pivot bolts to make sure they are travelling ok.