PDA

View Full Version : G'day from a tiny fibro shack in Canberra

McPete
29th September 2013, 09:51 PM
Hey all,

Just recently been bitten by the woodworking bug, thanks to that YouTuber-man, Steve Ramsey. Searching for various things on the subject of woodworking lead me here!

I'll probably be seeking guidance from your good selves a lot in the coming weeks, as I attempt my first project in hardwood ever(Tas Oak desktop)... but for this long weekend, I'll just be putting together a little table for behind our front door. Trying to, at any rate.

I'm pretty limited on woodworking tools and experience... Prepare to laugh at my ineptness and lack of proper equipment.

Professionally, I'm qualified as an Instrument Fitter, and presently doing a Diploma of Electronics Engineering, whilst working for one of the big Unis, keeping all their old equipment ticking along.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to asking some silly questions and getting some not-so-silly answers!

Cheers,
Pete

danny.s
29th September 2013, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the forum Pete. I look forward to your posts.

Danny

crowie
29th September 2013, 10:26 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Pete".
There are quite a few members in and around Canberra..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers, crowie

PS - No such thing as a silly question but yes some answers can leave a bit on the shelf.....
besides we all started somewhere at sometime at least as as an instrument fitter you should have a bit of a head start with the tools & know-how...lol..
Have a look at garage sales, deceased estates, farm clearance sales for old good quality secondhand tools to boost your collection....

tdrumnut
29th September 2013, 10:36 PM
Gidday Pete, welcome aboard and may your journey with us be a pleasant one.

Trav
29th September 2013, 10:49 PM
Hi Pete.

Welcome to the forums. There are a few of us canberrans around, so sing out if you need advice or if you want to swing round and cut something on the table saw or run it through a jointer or thicknesser.

Trav

JJF
30th September 2013, 12:57 AM
Welcomeaboard

Evanism
30th September 2013, 03:27 AM
Indeed welcome.

There seems to be a great many people from Canberra on the forums! It's a very good sign.

old1955
30th September 2013, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Pete. Ross

Christos
5th October 2013, 02:22 AM
Welcome to the forum.

McPete
6th October 2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I got the frames and legs on my skinny little table all glued together today, and also got a coat of her ladyship's preferred flavor of white onto the frame, as seen here:

I wish I could say it was by design, but by random luck, I spaced the frames precisely the right width and heigh apart to fit our existing shoe rack perfectly... I'll get that all painted white at some stage so it matches.

The frames and legs are the finest dirt cheap 10MPA 90x35 framing pine, held together with half-lap joints, of varying quality. I've then used 16mm dowels to join the legs and the frames.

Tomorrow, if I can get out in the yard for a bit more (No shed= work in backyard), I'll try to clean up some pallet wood for a top. Her ladyship initially requested that be painted gold, but I've won a concession back to polyurethane.

What I'm particularly pleased with is that I've managed most of this with a bag full of the Ryobi One+ tools (The little circular saw did well here) and a $112 909 table saw from Masters. I wimped out in this final stage and borrowed the big Makita sliding mitre saw from work for the legs. If I had the space to store it, a mitre saw would be next on my shopping list!

Cheers,
Pete