PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this chuck

artful bodger
30th September 2013, 05:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there can identify what make of screw chuck this is?,as I'm after some replacement screws for it.
I was lead to believe it might have been a vicmark however when I ordered some replacement screws they are a fair bit bigger than the original one (see picture) and don't have the same fastening nut in the middle.
Its a half inch thread that holds the screw into the chuck and the screw that attaches to the timber looks to be about a 12 gauge woodscrew that is approx 30mm long.
The diameter of the faceplate part is 75mm.

John T
30th September 2013, 05:29 PM
hi it looks like a woodfast screw chuck the same as mine .john t

artful bodger
30th September 2013, 05:46 PM
hi it looks like a woodfast screw chuck the same as mine .john t

I was just looking at the woodfast catalogue, it says their ones are 85mm dia. This one is 75mm.

RETIRED
30th September 2013, 06:29 PM
Record Power Screw Chuck CWA61 from Stiles and Bates (http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/product.php/section/6326/sn/CWA61)

artful bodger
1st October 2013, 10:47 AM
Yesterday I spoke to the guy I bought this off (20 odd years ago), he said it was an old Vicmarc that was subsequently followed by their 3 in 1 chuck.
Contacted vicmarc this morning and was told they no longer make the chucks or the replacement screws.
I know it's drawing a rather large bow, BUT, Don't suppose anyone out there would have spare ones of these kicking around they would be willing to sell?.

Jim Carroll
1st October 2013, 10:50 AM
Sent an email to you as we have one in stock

artful bodger
1st October 2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks Jim but I was actually after the smaller of the screws.

Paul39
3rd October 2013, 03:46 AM
Artful,

Get Jim's, and when using it on a smaller blank put a 3/4 inch disk of plywood over the screw to shorten it.

artful bodger
3rd February 2014, 06:02 PM
Just to put this thread to bed. Ended up buying 6 of the larger screws at about $20 each. Then took 5 of them to a machinist who turned the threads down from 10mm to about 7.5mm for about $75. The replacement ones which I believe fit the Vicmark 3 in 1 chuck have 2 flats that don't fit the obsolete screw chuck that I have so had to grind the 2 flats into 6 so that they do fit.302853 As I use this chuck for door handles which my architect client has an ever increasing number of designs and sizes I am able to use spacers that have been made up from aluminium as well as ply wood to suit the particular designs. 302854 This handle is only 60mm diameter and 29mm high, so buy using a coulpe of the aluminium spacers it will give about 16mm of thread to hang onto the job.302855 This one is 120 dia and 40mm thick so one of the spacers can be removed to give more thread into the workpiece.302856 While these little guys are only 32mm in diameter and 50mm long, notice the smaller diameter spacer (this enables you to turn and sand between workpiece and faceplate). For the larger diameter handles (so far the largest is 300mm) the 10mm replacement screw is used.302857 Plywood spacers have been made to allow for the different designed handles.302858 or302859. The door handle turnings are now full steam (well 3/4 steam) ahead again. This lot is 32, 120 dia ones in European oak and a few smaller types in Tas oak that were completed today.302860 I use a pencil gauge and calipers when making them to get em as similar as possible. This batch took approx 24 hours to make. Which might seem like a long time to the "ace turners" out there but I have to make sure that each one is as good as possible. My client goes over them with a "nuclear powered microscope" looking for defects. He finishes them and puts in the metal threaded inserts that fasten em to the doors and then sells them to whoever buys them.
Its nice to have lots of replacement screws on hand now. So no need for the panic button to be pushed next time one breaks, which they eventually are bound to.
As Peter Cundall would say...."Thats your bloomin lot".

Paul39
4th February 2014, 11:40 AM
Artful,

Very nice solution.