PDA

View Full Version : Fraction marking punch sets - do these exist?

variant22
2nd October 2013, 12:06 PM
I am trying to track down a fraction punch set for marking sizes on a collet holder for my imperial gear. I have a standard letter and number punch, but I cannot find a set that transfers fractions such as 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc. I know I could use the number punch and the "/" but it will be a bit large and out of scale compared to a "fraction punch". I figure I am searching for the wrong terms and hence not turning them up.. ideas/links?

easymike29
2nd October 2013, 12:25 PM
Columbia Marking Tools Store (http://www.columbiamt.com/store/R-Buster_Hand_Stamps.html)

Gene

variant22
2nd October 2013, 12:43 PM
Columbia Marking Tools Store (http://www.columbiamt.com/store/R-Buster_Hand_Stamps.html)

Gene
Thanks Gene, but unfortunately I am not seeing where on that page I would find the stamps I mentioned. They have customized stamps, but not sets that stamp fractions from what I can see. Ideally I would not want to go down the road of having something custom made, as it is not economical. I figured these fractional sets must be out there and common in the US?

BobL
2nd October 2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Gene, but unfortunately I am not seeing where on that page I would find the stamps I mentioned. They have customized stamps, but not sets that stamp fractions from what I can see. Ideally I would not want to go down the road of having something custom made, as it is not economical. I figured these fractional sets must be out there and common in the US?

What about these? (right at the bottom of that page) - not cheap though.
steel stamps - Marking Tools - symbol stamps and fraction set (http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/steelstamps/steelstamps_special.html)

Oldneweng
2nd October 2013, 07:08 PM
What about these? (right at the bottom of that page) - not cheap though.
steel stamps - Marking Tools - symbol stamps and fraction set (http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/steelstamps/steelstamps_special.html)

Certainly not cheap. Take a look at the stamp holders just underneath the fraction stamp sets. An absolute bargain. You couldn't make them for those prices:rolleyes:.

Dean

variant22
2nd October 2013, 09:17 PM
Certainly not cheap. Take a look at the stamp holders just underneath the fraction stamp sets. An absolute bargain. You couldn't make them for those prices:rolleyes:.

Dean
Yeah, not cheap and no idea about postage. I was hoping they would be a similar price to the letter/number sets out there. I also need more than the 8 fractions. It was for marking out an ER20 collet holder. My imperial set is 11 collets. So unfortunately no dice.

Any other leads?

BobL
2nd October 2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah, not cheap and no idea about postage. I was hoping they would be a similar price to the letter/number sets out there. I also need more than the 8 fractions. It was for marking out an ER20 collet holder. My imperial set is 11 collets. So unfortunately no dice.

Any other leads?

A collect holder is not likely to be subjected to much wear and tear so i'd be looking to use something like an office type label maker.
They are very useful for lots of stuff in a shed.

Grahame Collins
2nd October 2013, 10:10 PM
What about modifying a small cold chisel?
Dress the edge to a small radius and round off the ends. Cheaper than chips and readily available. I think from memory the chisel was about 8 or 10mm long.

I do a bit of stamping on rated pressure vessel info plates and did this for the slash things between the day/month/year thingy.Used a linisher belt on mine,but it could be managed with a Dremel tool ,I should think.

Grahame

Oldneweng
2nd October 2013, 10:13 PM

Any other leads?

Collet holder? As in using a different holder for each collet or just a holder for storage?

Be cheaper to buy metric collets :D and mark them.

I have a Brother labeller. I did a bit of research before buying it. The brother labels are the longest lasting according to my research. We also use one at work and I can say that even in the open it is remarkable how long the lables last. You can also get them in a huge range of fashion colours. Black on metallic gold anyone. I only have black on white in 18mm and 24mm. They are a big part of my shed arranging. On the weekend I labelled my plastic jerry cans so I knew what is kept in them and SWMBO did as well. One had an uneven surface all over. I stuck some thin metal sheet on with silastic for the lable. Same with the shelf of 36 cutoff 5 litre blue ploy plastic containers that will be used to store all manner of things currently stored in rusty milo tins etc. Got a heap of 20 litre blue poly containers to do the same thing to. Probably cut them in half.

Dean

Michael G
2nd October 2013, 10:41 PM
It was for marking out an ER20 collet holder. My imperial set is 11 collets.

Collet sets are usually hardened, so stamping may not work anyway. Rotary or percussive engraver? Etching? (cover with wax, scrape in the numbers you want and apply acid?)

Michael

BobL
2nd October 2013, 11:37 PM
Collet sets are usually hardened, so stamping may not work anyway. Rotary or percussive engraver? Etching? (cover with wax, scrape in the numbers you want and apply acid?)

Michael

The OP is referring to marking a "collect holder".
I doubt he/she means a collet chuck so I therefore assume he is referring to a tray/box/something that holds the collets.

easymike29
3rd October 2013, 02:48 AM

An example from the catalog.

Your Shopping Cart (http://www.columbiamt.com/cgi-bin/sc/order.cgi?rd=1&storeid=*24f424ef14cc20a9a3736040f5af7909d6502056&sbid=SSMSB1380728520.230128&prevlocation=http://www.columbiamt.com/store/R-Buster_Hand_Stamps13-ss2.html)

Gene

BobL
3rd October 2013, 09:47 AM
An example from the catalog.

Your Shopping Cart (http://www.columbiamt.com/cgi-bin/sc/order.cgi?rd=1&storeid=*24f424ef14cc20a9a3736040f5af7909d6502056&sbid=SSMSB1380728520.230128&prevlocation=http://www.columbiamt.com/store/R-Buster_Hand_Stamps13-ss2.html)

Gene

A major problem with 3 character limit is fractions like 9/16 or 11/16 etc cannot be catered for.

Unfortunately Columbiamt also use UPS so the cost for sending just one stamp to Australia is nearly $100!!!!

variant22
3rd October 2013, 01:07 PM
The OP is referring to marking a "collect holder".

"Collet holder" is just another way of saying a rack to place my collets. The photo below depicts my "collet holder". The 3 digit stamp variety is out of the question as it appears that a single 3 digit stamp (not replaceable face) will set me back $38.74 + $93.71 in shipping (for 1). Given I need 11, the shipping jumps to @$237 with the grand total being $663.31. Wow!

Looks like the only real option here is to make the "/" and use a smaller set of 0-9. I will have to be darn careful stamping however..

Here is the one I have partially completed (fractions to be on the right):

BobL
3rd October 2013, 04:16 PM
"Collet holder" is just another way of saying a rack to place my collets. The photo below depicts my "collet holder".
Yep - that's what I thought you meant

The 3 digit stamp variety is out of the question as it appears that a single 3 digit stamp (not replaceable face) will set me back $38.74 + $93.71 in shipping (for 1). Given I need 11, the shipping jumps to @$237 with the grand total being $663.31. Wow!
They couldn't do the 11/32" or 13/32" for you either - too many characters

Looks like the only real option here is to make the "/" and use a smaller set of 0-9. I will have to be darn careful stamping however..

I'd be looking at the label maker - some make really nicely formatted fractions with the numbers directly over each other which makes them easier to read.
It also means if you rearrange your holder you can easily re-label.

Oldneweng
3rd October 2013, 09:23 PM
I forgot to mention that my label maker can be connected to the computer and print about anything you can do on the computer including grapics although at 24mm wide, not very big.

Dean

Michael G
3rd October 2013, 10:40 PM
Looks like the only real option here is to make the "/" and use a smaller set of 0-9.

I think (I would need to check) that the smallest metal stamps I have are 2.5mm high if that is any use to you to borrow. Other than that 3mm/ 1/8" seems to be the next available size.

Michael

variant22
4th October 2013, 11:41 AM
I think (I would need to check) that the smallest metal stamps I have are 2.5mm high if that is any use to you to borrow. Other than that 3mm/ 1/8" seems to be the next available size.

Michael
Thanks for the offer Michael. I will likely just purchase a smaller set and fashion up something to hold the stamps in place as I punch them. I am a bit shocked that these fractional sets do not really exist outside a few cottage vendors. I would have thought Americans would have needed these?

Ueee
4th October 2013, 03:30 PM
If it were me I would mark them decimaly, not in fractions. If I'm working in imp I work in thou not fractions.
The other thing is, they are er collets aren't they? Why do you need imp ones at all if you have a full set of metric ones?

Ew

Stustoys
4th October 2013, 03:44 PM
Why do you need imp ones at all if you have a full set of metric ones?
Coming from a guy with three lathes?(well last I heard he only had three, but who knows :p)

At least two sets of metric by the look of it.

Stuart

variant22
4th October 2013, 04:00 PM
Why do you need imp ones at all if you have a full set of metric ones?

Ew
I don't *need* imperial, but I have a single set. Given they had been kicking around for a while I figured it was time I got the appropriate punch set and put them in their place. I had no idea these punches would be unobtainable in fractions. I was merely looking to mark the holder with the fractions as they are on the collets. That way, when I on odd occasion pull out a 3/16 end mill, I just grab the collet without fumbling around or doing mental gymnastics.

QC Inspector
5th October 2013, 06:57 PM
Have you ruled out going to a trophy shop to see if they can engrave them? A decent laser should be able to do a nice job of marking the tray. Likely not cheap but certainly less than stamps.

Pete

Oldneweng
5th October 2013, 08:09 PM
Nobody has mentioned CNC yet. This is one of the uses I would consider using a CNC machine for.

Dean

pipeclay
5th October 2013, 08:50 PM
Bit old fashioned in this modern age but a texta might work.