PDA

View Full Version : A half dozen Pepper grinders

gawdelpus
5th October 2013, 06:12 PM
Not my usual style ,but had an order of half a dozen 8" pepper grinders ,I really didn't want to do them as very time consuming and I have other more enjoyable things to be doing (pens) for instance hehe.
These are crush grinds and the grind adjustment is in the base ,on a ratchet so only alters when you want it altered. The top just pulls off it has a spigot with an "O" ring compression fit to keep it in place ,and easy removal for refilling. These mechanisms have a manufacturers warranty of 25 years, so not your usual run of the mill units. The job was to keep them simple and very plain so thats what they got, finish was a wipe over with BLO, and when dried a few coats of "Glow" so the units will in time take on the owners patena I think it's called. There's a couple of silky oak .A rosewood and Red cedar, A NG Kwilla and a WA pink Meranti . Finished today picking up tomorrow :) hope he likes them , But doesn't want any more lol. Cheers ~ John

tdrumnut
5th October 2013, 07:36 PM
Nice work John, I'm sure he will be happy with them.

turnerted
8th October 2013, 04:53 PM
Nice batch of grinders.
I have always wondered about this 25 year warranty and how one would make a claim . I would always replace a defective grinder I sold ,be it Crushgrind or any other brand .Am I expected to retain receipts for 25 years and keep track of when each mechanism was used ?. The chances of me still being around in 25 years is remote.
It seems to me for this to be a meaningfull warranty , Crushgrind should be supplying a warranty certificate that could be given to the purchaser telling them how to mke a claim.
Any thoughts?
Ted

rsser
8th October 2013, 05:01 PM
Keep your receipts for the units. For a claim you'll be dealing with the local dist'r.

The maker doesn't offer this kind of guarantee unless they know the unit will be up for it. That's the real guarantee of quality.

FWIW I had a NZ-made backpack with a lifetime warranty. Only had to ring the local dist'r and describe the fault it had developed and they directed me to a local repair place who fixed it without questions.

gawdelpus
8th October 2013, 05:07 PM
Nice batch of grinders.
I have always wondered about this 25 year warranty and how one would make a claim . I would always replace a defective grinder I sold ,be it Crushgrind or any other brand .Am I expected to retain receipts for 25 years and keep track of when each mechanism was used ?. The chances of me still being around in 25 years is remote.
It seems to me for this to be a meaningfull warranty , Crushgrind should be supplying a warranty certificate that could be given to the purchaser telling them how to mke a claim.
Any thoughts?
Ted
Ted I am with you 100% on this, like you I may well not be around if a warranty issue comes up ,and trying to keep track of the paper work for these things would be a nonsense. We have retailers in Australia for some of the crushgrinds .the newer one piece units I am not so sure of. I suppose like most we just bite the bullet and do any replacement work for these things on our own expense. Maybe one of the suppliers could take it up with the manufacturer to issue a warranty detail certificate ,to be dated on installation ,or sale . If as they say they warrant it for 25years,then they should back that up . Cheers ~ John

dai sensei
8th October 2013, 05:45 PM
I have around 50 Crushgrind mechanisms around, all types and sizes from various retailers, all waiting for their pepper grinders to be made. I had a cousin that showed me hers that had broken, the ceramic mill had chipped, but I had no idea who sold me the mechanism. Luckily the chunk was a decent one, it stood out on what ever they were about to eat, I wouldn't like to think what it would have done to someone's teeth as the bit down :o. I just replaced it with another.