PDA

View Full Version : King Size Single Bed Plans

meerkat
27th May 2005, 06:03 PM
Hi,

my 13 year old is almost hanging his feet over the end of the bed and I want to make a king size single bed for him.

Anyone got any plans or dimensions etc that I can use ?

Thanks

Rusty
27th May 2005, 10:49 PM
I've been trying to avoid logging on after a recent bout of lunacy (literally) but I can't resist...

There has either been a very recent thread about this or I have recently done a search on a similar topic, I can't remember which. Anyhow, the good oil is that you would be best served by finding a bed/plan you like, copy it, and adjust the dimensions to suit the mattress you intend to buy. Apparently different manufacturers have different ideas of what size, for example, a "king single" should be.

Can't help you out with plans; when in doubt I like to do a google image search. I also recommend a search of the boards, cos I know that a king single bed has been made in the last month or two by a darkside aligned member. Oh, alright, it was Derek. I'm too Fridayed to find the link, sorry, man.

Good luck,
Rusty.

Ashore
28th May 2005, 01:17 AM
Ezy beds these days consist of angle iron sides bed head and end and slats mattress on top
My limited advive go to the smith family etc.. and buy a bed without mattress
use the angle iron sides & slats and make a bed head and base
now the designs for these are many and varied but get the fixtures first
then ask for designs for bed head etc..
Remember the standard size mattress is the size to work off

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

maglite
28th May 2005, 01:39 AM
I was in the same position as a teenager......tall kid....small bed.
My kingsize single was 7ft2 long and 4 ft wide.....made to order.
If grows out of this......i will manage him for a flat 10%:D
I hope this helps.

Steve

Coldamus
28th May 2005, 10:46 PM
Anyone got any plans or dimensions etc that I can use ?

Thanks
As rusty said, exact mattress dimensions vary slightly between manufacturers but here is a list that I got from a major Aussie manufacturer - can't remember which one.

King: 6' x 6'8" = 183cm x 204cm
Queen: 5' x 6'8" = 153cm x 204cm
Long Double: 4'6" x 6'8" = 138cm x 204cm
Double: 4'6" x 6'2" = 138cm x 188cm
Wide Single: 3'6" x 6'2" = 104cm x 188cm (3/4 Bed)
King Single: 3'6" x 6'8" = 104cm x 204cm
Long Single: 3' x 6'8" = 90cm x 204cm
Single: 3' x 6'2" = 90cm x 188cm

I have a king single ensemble but am sorry I bought it - too hard to find decent quality linen such as Sheridan to fit. There's not the same range available as with King and Queen doubles.

regards
Coldamus

custos
15th July 2005, 10:35 AM
I've made king singles for both of my kids (Tassie Oak frame with pine slats, see photos). You probably don't need a plan... I just made it up as I went along. Buy your matress first, then plan your dimensions around the matress to get the right height and size. Allow 2 cm extra in length and width to make making the bed easier. To attach the rails to the headboard you can buy appropriate hardware from Bunnings etc. to make dissassembly easy -- king singles, fully assembled, are hard to move around tight corners.

I also made matching trundle beds for friends sleepovers. The trundles can be standard size and they fit easily under the king single dimensions.

helen2701
27th July 2009, 09:24 PM
Hi Custos,
Would you be interested in making an extra bed ?
Helen

thumb trimmer
27th July 2009, 11:50 PM
As a few of the other guys mentioned ... get the mattress first ... it'll prevent a lot of cursing and swearing later.
Also, as mentioned previously ... make it up as you go ... with the one (BIG) exception of planning how you are going to get the bed into the room.

Good luck.

Ricardito
14th August 2009, 11:08 PM
Hi all!
I am in the exact position as my son touches the end of his bead sometimes his feet are sore when he wakes up in the mornings.
I thought to stretch his bead a little more but I am new to carpentry Quite willing to learn but may be leave it for later.
Anyone here makes beds of contacts please?
I would be grateful to you

Thanks

mattwolf
18th August 2009, 10:29 PM
I've made king singles for both of my kids (Tassie Oak frame with pine slats, see photos). You probably don't need a plan... I just made it up as I went along. Buy your matress first, then plan your dimensions around the matress to get the right height and size. Allow 2 cm extra in length and width to make making the bed easier. To attach the rails to the headboard you can buy appropriate hardware from Bunnings etc. to make dissassembly easy -- king singles, fully assembled, are hard to move around tight corners.

I also made matching trundle beds for friends sleepovers. The trundles can be standard size and they fit easily under the king single dimensions.

Custo bed looks awesome do you have a Plans/Blueprint for what you made or any tips on how to make it

thumb trimmer
19th August 2009, 10:35 AM
Ricardito. I've just recently built a King Single for my step daughter (who is taller than both her mum and me).
A mate of mine was getting rid of an old timber queen size bed for free; alternatively check around your area, or check the local newspaper.
As it was in my budget ($0), I took the bed off my friends hands, trimmed down the end pieces and slats to size, cleaned up the timber, made new fittings for the bed bolts and built new legs ... voi-la ... a relatively simple construction for a king single bed.

So look around for other beds which you can use for parts or ideas.

Good luck.

Ricardito
22nd August 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion
In fact the bed frame is in excellent condition and since my wife say that the frame (At my son's feet) is not needed I though to use this top spare timer to extend width and lenght buy using dowling plugs.
What do you think?
Pardon my lack of woodie lingua

thumb trimmer
27th August 2009, 10:02 PM
Ricardito,

dowelling the bed (to extend) may be a little risky ... it 'may' (or may not) be strong enough. If you wanted to extend (rather than shorten a larger bed, like I did), I'd be tempted to use threaded steel rod or bolts which can be used to pull the joint together.
I guess I'm somewhat from the school of over-engineering where possible.

also ... FYI ... a pic of the bed I've made, during construction.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=2859

mattwolf
1st September 2009, 09:48 PM
Looking good thumb trimmer really coming along

Ricardito
1st September 2009, 11:36 PM
Ricardito,

dowelling the bed (to extend) may be a little risky ... it 'may' (or may not) be strong enough. If you wanted to extend (rather than shorten a larger bed, like I did), I'd be tempted to use threaded steel rod or bolts which can be used to pull the joint together.
I guess I'm somewhat from the school of over-engineering where possible.

also ... FYI ... a pic of the bed I've made, during construction.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=2859

yes that's exactly what I want to make just a simple frame with the right size slats then I attach the bedhead although narrower it will still hold the pillows in place.
How is this frame joined in the corners apart from threaded steel rod or bolts?
But Where would I find reasonable good pine timber currently is contoured round edges (routered) but I would not mind going for straight edges I just sand them a bi so they won't be sharp.
Would Bunnings have suitable pine for a bed frame?
Or other suppliers in Melbourne?
Thanks

thumb trimmer
2nd September 2009, 09:38 PM
yes that's exactly what I want to make just a simple frame with the right size slats then I attach the bedhead although narrower it will still hold the pillows in place.
How is this frame joined in the corners apart from threaded steel rod or bolts?
But Where would I find reasonable good pine timber currently is contoured round edges (routered) but I would not mind going for straight edges I just sand them a bi so they won't be sharp.
Would Bunnings have suitable pine for a bed frame?
Or other suppliers in Melbourne?
Thanks

Ricardito,
As I mentioned earlier, I got the bed as a Queen sized bed from a mate of mine, and cut it down to king single.

SWMBO says that I often over-complicate things, so I went with the KISS principle (keep it simple stoopid) on this one.
The corners are simply butted, then attached using bolts through to 'cross-nuts' inserted from the inside of the side boards. Three on each corner should be strong enough.
The slats are then screwed to a battern on the inside bottom edge of the side boards.

See my 'king single bed' album on my profile to see a couple more photo's. I've made legs which raise the bed up so that I we can create storage undert the bed. I also plan to build a side table which will be attached to the side/end of the bed.

Regarding timber... if you keep an eye out, you can get some half decent stuff from council clean up weeks; sometimes a bed or two is put out to be collected. I'm not sure if you have these in VIC, but they could be an option. Alternatively, Bunnings may have some of the pine, but probably not in the sizes that you want or need. A better option would be to look up timber yards in your area, or if you know anybody who is a a builder/carpenter, they'll likely know where you can get some from.
If I had the chance to do over, and if I had a slightly bigger (only slightly bigger) budget, I probably would have used Oregon (aka Douglas Fir). The grain looks a treat (for a reasonably cheap timber).

Good luck.
TT