PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee's TS sliding extension table.

Sturdee
27th May 2005, 08:24 PM
When I bought the TSC-10HB some of you wondered what jigs I might build for it. This is the first one.

The Triton sliding extension table for the workcentre is the best accessory they made, and in fact was the main reason why I continued with the MK3 workcentre for so long.

The ability to handle large sheet goods without roller stands is what I missed on my new TS. Although I am investigating on how to build a vertical panel saw for convenience I still would like to have a sliding table attached to the TS.

So I’ve built a jig to bolt onto the TS, which allows me to connect the Triton sliding extension table to the TSC-10HB.

The jig is made by gluing together two sheets of 16mm chipboard with a cutout to allow normal access to the blade bevel handle as well as a rear support cross piece. This is then bolted through the 3 main predrilled holes along the side of the saw and by replacing the rear bolt with a longer one and with a small bolt drilled through the steel plate that secures the on/of switch.

To this jig I screwed the normal extension table securing brackets. Now I can add and remove the extension table easily.

Photo 1 is the front view of the jig.

Photo 2 is the back view.

Photo 3 is a close up of the cross piece.

Photo 4 shows the jig bolted onto the TS.

Peter.

Sturdee
27th May 2005, 08:27 PM
These photos show various views of the extension table in place with the final photo shows the table hanging against the wall out of the way.

Peter.

Sturdee
27th May 2005, 08:29 PM
Of course the measuring scales on the extension table do not work out as with the workcentre. There is a 228mm difference. So I altered one of my previous spacer jigs to exactly 228mm. (Note it changed colour from orange to white :D :D :D It took only 4 passes in the drum sander to remove the paint). Now I can set the fence of the extension table at the right measurement, put in the spacer block and cut long pieces accurately.

Photo 1 shows the fence set at 800mm.

Photo 2 shows the spacer block in place. Note the actual measurement on the scale.

Photo 3 shows it ready to cut a piece at 800mm.

Peter.

knucklehead
27th May 2005, 08:53 PM
Well Sturdee your timming in perfect. Just returned from a wrestling match with a sheet of 19mm ply and a TSC 10-HB. Decided that a sliding table would be a great improvment. So I am very interested in the progression of your project.
This is probably the first of many questions...
What is the capactity of the sliding table? The Triton table original could take 1200mm sheet and cross cut to 1200mm. Looks like the cross cut will be more like 1800mm on yours.

Harry72
27th May 2005, 09:49 PM
Hey Sturdee, whats one of those Triton Maxi(ETA300)sliders cost?

Sturdee
27th May 2005, 10:27 PM
Mine is one of the original Maxi table which allowed a full 2400mm * 1200mm sheet to be cut into two of 1200mm *1200mm.

Without using the spacer block and the fence on the leading long side, with the clamps holding the sheet down securely, you could now cut them into any size once you allow for the left hand side to overhang the sliding table. With the fence as in the photo and without the spacer block the width to cut is approx 1400mm.

As the next project will be to build a router table onto the right hand side between the fence bars, that will provide support for the overhang of large sheets.

Harry, I'll have a look at Bunnings to see how much they are but from memory about $ 300 which is cheaper than the one from CT perth.

Peter.

boban
27th May 2005, 10:52 PM
Very good sturdee.

With the number of TSC10-HB's now purchased, I think you'll start a trend.

A cheaper option than many of the other sliding table add ons. But you could have just bought an Altendorf ....

Sturdee
27th May 2005, 11:08 PM
A cheaper option than many of the other sliding table add ons. But you could have just bought an Altendorf ....

Especially if you still have the Triton sliding table as many new TSC-10HB buyers are Tritoneers deserters. :D

Of course if I bought an Altendorf I wouldn't have the fun of building new jigs.

Peter.

journeyman Mick
27th May 2005, 11:29 PM
...............A cheaper option than many of the other sliding table add ons. But you could have just bought an Altendorf ....

:D :D :D

Mick

rodm
27th May 2005, 11:41 PM
Top job again Peter.
Haven't you got a bed at your place? :D :D

routermaniac
27th May 2005, 11:55 PM
good thinking peter, your mentality of using whatever is around to get the job done instead of indiscriminately throwing money at a project is one that I also share. Good to see that this the maxi table is still an asset, I have found mine invaluable in handling large sheets by myself.

I will be doing similar once we move and I have place to upgrade the triton to the tsc.

I see you have made a new fence for the sliding table?, mine is aluminium and I have occasionally felt that the included clamps were a bit flimsy, your improvisation with the vertical clamps is a good one. What did you use for the fence? is it MDF? Also what did you use to edge the chipboard bracket that holds the whole thing together?

Well done once again

regards,

Marios

vsquizz
28th May 2005, 12:16 AM
But you could have just bought an Altendorf ....
Then you could bolt the Triton extension into the Altendorf Slider:eek: :rolleyes: :D

GMC may not like it though.:p

(Lots of smartarise comments spring to mind)

"Hey Peter, you finally found a use for a Triton";)

Cheers

boban
28th May 2005, 12:26 AM
Did I forget to mention that without an Altendorf, your only a backyarder with substandard work.....its the only real saw out there for those who are truly successful.

Do a search ($$hit did I say search) on Altendorf and Unisaw and youll see what Im getting at.

Vasco
28th May 2005, 01:12 AM
Well done Peter,
I can see a whole lot of Triton sliding extension tables being bougt by non Triton owners. Very good improvision.
Regards Vasco

Trent The Thief
28th May 2005, 01:56 AM
/snip....

The ability to handle large sheet goods without roller stands is what I missed on my new TS. Although I am investigating on how to build a vertical panel saw for convenience I still would like to have a sliding table attached to the TS.

/snip...

Peter. Hi Peter,

Give a look at Shopnotes #4. It has plans for a pretty good shop built panel saw. It uses MDF sheets, pipes, etc. It's pretty much like the panel saw setup you'd find in a DIY home center.
http://store.yahoo.com/backissuesstore/sn004.html

ShopNotes #48 also has plans for a panel cutting guide. This one is built from 1x stock. It is a fence system on a frame. This one is available separately as a downloadable PDF from PlansNow.com (http://plansnow.com/panelcutguide.html)
http://store.yahoo.com/backissuesstore/sn048.html

Sturdee
28th May 2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the responses.

It didn’t occur to me that some of you might go and buy a Triton sliding table for adding onto a TS, but I posted it more for those fellow Triton deserters :D who already had one of these sliding tables. It was to show that rather than flogging them of cheap they could continue to provide good use.

So may be a description of these sliding tables might be appropriate.

Triton makes two sizes, the Maxi (Bunnings price $ 323.15) and the Mini ($ 262.20). Triton’s website describes the main differences, mainly being size of the table and the length of travel. Also the Mini can be used with their router tables, but if you build a router table into the RHS of the TS you wouldn’t need the small one anyway.

Like most things from Triton it is a self-assembly job, but has an easy to follow manual. Once built it is very accurate and remains that way but regular checking and recalibration is recommended. The table has an inner rail and securing brackets, an outer rail with removable leg supports a large aluminium fence and the actual sliding table.

The table has a special groove along all sides that the fence slides in. That’s why it can be used for ripping, crosscutting and angle cuts. Also the table can quickly be switched from sliding to a fixed position.

I think it is the best accessory that Triton made and was the reason I stayed with the WC for so long.

The jig I made is for the Maxi and is 945mm * 235mm * 32mm which doesn’t protrude beyond the switch box and only protrudes 110mm to the rear, which is less than the fence. For the Mini the size needed is 760mm * 235mm * 32mm.

To some specific questions:

The surface on the top of the jig, the side of my fence and the spacer block is a high gloss smooth white Laminex, which can be polished and reduces friction and doesn’t wear out in use thus retaining accuracy.

I purchase these small pieces as needed from a laminate supplier/joinery. This type of Laminex is not only the best for woodworking jigs it is also the cheapest and readily available.

My fence on the sliding table is one of my jigs. I found that the original fence, although good for angle cuts, was unwieldy for normal use. Also mine has easy to use lock down clamps. It’s made of hardwood 800mm * 80mm * 30mm with slots cut in on either side on the WC (TS) and the ends closed in by gluing in a small piece of timber.

I got some of the small square plastic bits that keeps the fence in the groove from Triton and used longer bolts so I can switch between fences as required.

Mini mini sliding table. Previously I made a mini table (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7811) for use with the router table, which I will now rejig and refinish to use with the TS.

If there are more questions please let me know, as the answers can be included before Dean places all this info on his TSC-10HB user information page of his website. (http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/articles/TSC-10HB.htm)

Peter.

Sturdee
28th May 2005, 08:00 PM
Do a search ($$hit did I say search) on Altendorf and Unisaw and youll see what Im getting at.

No need to tell me to do a search :D , as I remember that post. Rather be a backyarder and own my tools than be a " professional " :rolleyes: and be in hock.

Anyway it is not the tool but the operator's ability that makes a good woodworker and of course the ability to " Do a search " :D

Peter.

Sturdee
28th May 2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks Trent for the links to those plans. However the wall panel saw that I will be building is a fixed one against the whole length of my garage wall with the saw sliding up and down an alum channel.

I've collected enough roller wheels to slide the sheets on and am now trying to source the right type of alum channel. Plenty of channel but they are all designed for standard OD sizes. I want the ID to be a size to fit the saw panel that I'm making.

Peter.

rick_rine
13th September 2005, 09:25 PM
the brochure I have is not for a HB but a TSC-10LB . tilting arbour

1.5 horses
aluminium sliding table
Any idea of the difference .
Looks o.k. but a bit expensive . Expected more for my money .
Rick

Gregi
15th October 2012, 11:37 AM
When I bought the TSC-10HB some of you wondered what jigs I might build for it. This is the first one.

The Triton sliding extension table for the workcentre is the best accessory they made, and in fact was the main reason why I continued with the MK3 workcentre for so long.

Peter.

Sturdee, a few months ago I found your sliding extension table and on the weekend did the same. Your plans worked a treat, and I am now the proud owner of a sliding table too.

Thanks.

bzyk123456
24th June 2017, 04:28 AM
better quality photo, please

Sturdee
24th June 2017, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately a few years ago the photos posted on the forum were lost never to be seen again.

Also the sliding extension table for my TS is now in deep storage as at this stage I don't need the ability to cut large sheets.

If I ever need to get it out of storage I will post some photos. May be others who did the same mod can post some.

Peter.

Big Shed
24th June 2017, 08:04 PM
Peter, you may remember I did copy your design with some modifications for mu tablesaw, a Carbatec TL10S (alas no longer available)

Like you, I lost all the pics from that thread but I have been able to find them on my computer and have now added them to my old thread, which can be seen here.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f13/sturdees-triton-slding-table-mod-53840#post559517

I have just recently sold the Triton ETA300 as we are in the process of selling our property and downsizing so it had to go.
I put it up for sale here on the forum but no bites at all, finished up putting it on Gumtree and sold it within 24 hrs to a chap just 2 kms down the road from me who had been looking for one for some time for his Triton 2000.

Big Shed
24th June 2017, 08:49 PM
Peter, I realised that I had downloaded your pictures at the time, here they are

Sturdee
24th June 2017, 09:57 PM
Thanks Fred for the photos, good to see some of them back. :2tsup:

My problem was that I had a hard disk crash and those old photos could not be recovered.

Peter.