PDA

View Full Version : Um

Anorak Bob
13th October 2013, 11:51 AM
Whoa! Hold on! :o I'm not about to trespass into the hallowed environment of the toolroom and cause outrage. Been there.

Um is the title of Carl Zeiss' 1962 192 page "booklet" illustrating their range of metrological instruments. I had been trawling Ebay looking at scopes when this booklet popped up in the bar at the bottom of the page showing related items. Buy it now for 9 dollars and 6 dollars postage from Sydney. I already had a couple of Zeiss brochures and liked the quality of the graphics and photos they contained. Early sixties restraint. So when the booklet arrived I was more than happy. Page after page of the stuff.

My plan is to carefully photograph each double page and to copy the high resolution images on to a CD for dispersal. Stuart is responsible for my renewed interest in things optical. All started with his acquisition of the Kitten Kamera.:U Stuart heads the mailing list. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

BT

Brobdingnagian
13th October 2013, 11:58 AM
Count me in...

BobL
13th October 2013, 12:12 PM
Great service Bob, and please count me in. but given copyright issues maybe this should be moved off line?

Abratool
13th October 2013, 12:28 PM
Bob
Yes please.
I scrolled through the photos & a few things caught my attention.
The year 1962 .... a great era
3 wire thread measuring.
The magnificent machinery.
Carl Zeiss.... Also make wonderful telescopic rifle scopes.
And more
Thanks so much for the offer.
regards
Bruce

Stustoys
14th October 2013, 10:49 AM
no no yes no yes yes yes yes yes yes yes no no no yes yes yes yes.

See I'll leave some for you guys.:D

Stuart

p.s. thats a wish list you know :P

Ueee
14th October 2013, 10:57 AM
Yes please.....

Ew

BobL
14th October 2013, 11:46 AM
Good to see this thread back.

FWIW I have offered to PDF the pics.

matthew_g
14th October 2013, 01:10 PM
Absolutely count me in, I love anything to do with metrology, So anything I can add to my collection I will.
Thanks for the offer BT.
Matt

Anorak Bob
14th October 2013, 05:10 PM
Bob, Bruce, Ew, Josh, Matt and Stuart,

The CDs have just been posted. I've also sent one off to Michael G.

Bob, this may well be the extent of the interest. No point PDF-ing the 100 photos if they aren't going anywhere.

BT

welder
14th October 2013, 05:13 PM
I am interested :doh:

Steamwhisperer
14th October 2013, 05:20 PM
I would've loved a copy Bob.
Only thing I can't work out out is why this thread only appeared this afternoon. Dammit

A slow Phil

Anorak Bob
14th October 2013, 05:25 PM
Andre, I do have one CD mailer and one stamp left. If you email me your postal address I will send you a copy tomorrow. :)

This thread received a like from Jan in Holland. So Jan, if you are happy with the quality ( might be better because I used a tripod ) of the resized images above, I could send you ten images at a time via email. Quicker than me getting to the post office again. If you are interested, send me your email address. If you prefer the 232mb version send me your postal address.

bobdotthomasatinboxdotcom

BT

Anorak Bob
14th October 2013, 05:34 PM
I would've loved a copy Bob.
Only thing I can't work out out is why this thread only appeared this afternoon. Dammit

A slow Phil

Not as slow as me!

The thread was pulled within an hour of me posting it yesterday. There was a concern that copyright infringement may have taken place. I wondered* where it had gone too. Big Shed Fred informed me of its whereabouts.

I will ensure that you receive a copy pronto Phil.

BT

* a censored version.

Abratool
14th October 2013, 05:45 PM
Bob
I will repay you, for this kind effort, thank you so much.
Cannot think what you may need, as you seem to have a lot of beaut stuff?
regards
Bruce

Anorak Bob
14th October 2013, 07:10 PM
Bob
I will repay you, for this kind effort, thank you so much.
Cannot think what you may need, as you seem to have a lot of beaut stuff?
regards
Bruce

Bruce,

I'll be happy knowing you blokes are sharing this small treasure with me. That's enough.

Bob.

Steamwhisperer
14th October 2013, 09:31 PM
Not as slow as me!

The thread was pulled within an hour of me posting it yesterday. There was a concern that copyright infringement may have taken place. I wondered* where it had gone too. Big Shed Fred informed me of its whereabouts.

I will ensure that you receive a copy pronto Phil.

BT

* a censored version.

Many thanks Bob.
Appreciative Phil

jhovel
15th October 2013, 01:58 AM
Hi Bob,
your generosity seems to have no bounds!
I would love a copy too.... :)
Thanks again for the great presents and the hospitality received on my recent visit!

Anorak Bob
15th October 2013, 09:23 AM
Hi Bob,
your generosity seems to have no bounds!
I would love a copy too.... :)
Thanks again for the great presents and the hospitality received on my recent visit!

It was a pleasure for both Vicki and me to share your company Joe.

I will post you the CD today.

BT

Brobdingnagian
15th October 2013, 12:20 PM

The CDs have just been posted. I've also sent one off to Michael G.

Bob, this may well be the extent of the interest. No point PDF-ing the 100 photos if they aren't going anywhere.

BT

You're a Veritable star Bob!

Kraehe
17th October 2013, 11:49 AM

BT

Hello Bob,

I would love a copy too, if this is still possible please.

How do I get reimbursement to you?

Thank you.

K.

Kraehe
17th October 2013, 11:54 AM
Bob,

I note one of the pages depicts a "Large Toolmaker's Microscope". At one stage Zeiss made two models, a large and a small. I have one of the small models in the process of cleaning and recommissioning :U. Have you ever seen any info on the "Small Toolmaker's Microscope"?

I do have some information already. If you or anyone here is interested, I am happy to copy and post it.

Take care,

K.

Anorak Bob
17th October 2013, 12:51 PM
Hello Bob,

How do I get reimbursement to you?

K.
You don't. Send me a PM or an email to the bob. address posted previously (preferred) with your postal address and I'll get onto it.

Bob,

I note one of the pages depicts a "Large Toolmaker's Microscope". At one stage Zeiss made two models, a large and a small. I have one of the small models in the process of cleaning and recommissioning :U. Have you ever seen any info on the "Small Toolmaker's Microscope"?

I do have some information already. If you or anyone here is interested, I am happy to copy and post it.

Take care,

K.
I'm interested and I reckon the owner of a growing collection of colposcopes would be too. :U

Stustoys
17th October 2013, 01:05 PM
I'm interested and I reckon the owner of a growing collection of colposcopes would be too. :U
I am interested. Though whether my collection is growing is yet to be determined :(

Stuart

Kraehe
18th October 2013, 07:44 AM
You don't. Send me a PM or an email to the bob. address posted previously (preferred) with your postal address and I'll get onto it.

Thank you. I have sent an email to the bobdot address.

No problem. Might take me a while to get copying organised though. I hope you guys are patient. :)

Colposcopes?

K.

Stustoys
18th October 2013, 09:50 AM
Colposcopes?

Short range bird watching Binoculars?

Colposcopy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colposcopy)

"Not to be confused with colonoscopy (http://www.woodworkforums.com/wiki/Colonoscopy)" lol

Two on the current three have camera ports, hence the name "kittycam" (spelling?
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/things-i-buy-141217/

Couldnt find any pictures of the Zeiss.

Stuart

Kraehe
18th October 2013, 10:34 AM
Short range bird watching Binoculars?

Stuart

hahaha...:U

Thanks for looking for Zeiss info.

K.

Stustoys
18th October 2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks for looking for Zeiss info.
I think I may have mislead you.
I currently have three colposcopes, one by Leisegang in the thread above, one by Zeiss and one by Frigitronics(which has issues and may well be going back to the sellinr, I might put a thread together about it the next couple of days)

I'm sure I put some pictures of the Zeiss on the forum but I havent been able to find them.

All cleared up?

Stuart

Anorak Bob
18th October 2013, 11:58 AM
I think I may have mislead you.
I currently have three colposcopes, one by Leisegang in the thread above, one by Zeiss and one by Frigitronics(which has issues and may well be going back to the sellinr, I might put a thread together about it the next couple of days)

I'm sure I put some pictures of the Zeiss on the forum but I havent been able to find them.

All cleared up?

Stuart

Stop looking Stu. Here are some photos taken whilst visiting the klinik.:D

BT

Kraehe
21st October 2013, 01:28 PM
Cool scopes!

K.

Ueee
22nd October 2013, 08:48 PM
Mine turned up today BT, thank you.

I just realized i left it in the shed :doh:

Ew

Stustoys
22nd October 2013, 08:57 PM
Mine to.
Thanks BT :2tsup:
So many pretties.(and I assume some useful info, but I wouldnt know as I'm still looking at the pictures lol)

Stuart

jhovel
26th October 2013, 10:51 AM
My copy arrived yesterday. Thanks Bob! Very interesting reading.

Cheers,
Joe

Anorak Bob
26th October 2013, 11:50 AM
Joe,

I will photograph and post the entire Einbaumikroskop brochure. Might be interesting to you and anyone else conversant with German. There is also the optical dividing head brochure which is less of a challenge because it is in English.:)

Phil, Matt, Andre and Darren. Let me know if your CD doesn't arrive shortly. I would have thought Australia Post delivered more swiftly than it obviously does.

Another thing. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Swiss WILD Heerbrugg brochure. 18 A5 pages dealing with lens aberrations, illumination, astigmatism, achromats, apochromats :?, eyepieces and more. Might sound a bit arcane but it describes how various types of glass are used in lens construction to correct imaging imperfections. If anyone is interested, I've scanned the brochure and I can email the scans.

BT

Brobdingnagian
26th October 2013, 01:35 PM
I'm a bit curious, could you use the installation microscopes with the template oculars to do on machine measurements?

-J

Anorak Bob
26th October 2013, 03:46 PM
I'm a bit curious, could you use the installation microscopes with the template oculars to do on machine measurements?

-J

J. It looks to me like it was used for thread profile comparison. Maybe Joe can verify it's use?

Anorak Bob
26th October 2013, 04:33 PM
290876 290879 290878

Steamwhisperer
27th October 2013, 05:14 PM
Joe,

I will photograph and post the entire Einbaumikroskop brochure. Might be interesting to you and anyone else conversant with German. There is also the optical dividing head brochure which is less of a challenge because it is in English.:)

Phil, Matt, Andre and Darren. Let me know if your CD doesn't arrive shortly. I would have thought Australia Post delivered more swiftly than it obviously does.

Another thing. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Swiss WILD Heerbrugg brochure. 18 A5 pages dealing with lens aberrations, illumination, astigmatism, achromats, apochromats :?, eyepieces and more. Might sound a bit arcane but it describes how various types of glass are used in lens construction to correct imaging imperfections. If anyone is interested, I've scanned the brochure and I can email the scans.

BT

Hi Bob,
I got a ticket in the mail but the P O was shut and now I am in South Aus. for 3 weeks.
I'll grab it when I get back.

Phil

Kraehe
1st November 2013, 02:18 PM
Hi Bob,

Sorry, I have been away a few days. The CD has arrived! Thank you!!

Regards,

Darren.