PDA

View Full Version : My Latest "Puzzle Box"

Pauls_49
28th May 2005, 10:36 PM
Hi again everyone. This is my latest bandsaw accomplishment. I seen this design on my trip to tassie and whilst searching around on the net I actually found the cutting plan for it.

I used sassafrass timber, and found it rather hard to cut on my bandsaw, its certainly not a soft timber to cut. But the end result was most rewarding.

amgsir
28th May 2005, 11:11 PM
Thats pretty neat, looks like it takes a lot of thought to make it even with plans

well done

Pauls_49
28th May 2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks for your comments. Actually I didnt get the plans from the "net", but merely the shape of the cuts etc. No measurements etc, so to speak.

amgsir
28th May 2005, 11:37 PM
That just makes it more impressive and I bet the "puzzle" was making it!! :cool:

Sir Stinkalot
28th May 2005, 11:39 PM
Any chance of a heads up to where we can find the plans?

ptc
29th May 2005, 11:48 AM
Fantastic !!
I bought some blades from Henry Bros,
and i've got plenty of Wood.
but as yet to start on my first box.

Forest Gump
29th May 2005, 12:20 PM
Great work, Pauls_49

What type of blade did you use or what would you recommend. I just bought a BP-16A and need some blades.

I plan to make small items like boxes, whirligigs and toys etc.

Daniel

Pauls_49
29th May 2005, 05:27 PM
Regarding the blade I am using. I am still using a 1/8th inch 10 tpi. I tried to get a 3/16th but the dealers I use couldnt access them. Regarding the plans I'll have a bit of a look and see if I can find the site where I first located the "shape".

My bandsaw is around 22 years old now, but I do use a "guide" that I purchased some time ago which gives me a more exact cut and I do tighten my blade to twang like a guitar string.

Take it easy,

Paul

RufflyRustic
30th May 2005, 10:01 AM
Very nice work, Paul. I love the Box and puzzle together.

Cheers
RufflyRustic

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
30th May 2005, 11:07 AM
Paul
I sent you a PM on plan for these 2 puzzles
http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/puzzl1.jpg

Forest Gump
30th May 2005, 11:46 AM
Paul

What type of guide do you use. I found a guide on Timbercons site, is it anything like the thumbnail shown.

Daniel

Pauls_49
1st June 2005, 09:56 PM
Yes, that is very similar to the guide that I bought, a steel/chome wheel with a small groove in it, to hold the blade in place. I paid around the $80 for it, that included two 1/8th inch blades.

I also bought a cheapish ripping guide also for around the $25 mark. It seems to work well on some timbers and other timbers it runs off the line. Then again as I said my bandsaw is around 22 years old now.

Take it easy now,

Paul