PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited - lathe chuck

nearnexus
18th October 2013, 04:21 PM
Included with the early Schaublin 102 lathe I restored, was a totally clapped out 3" three jaw chuck.

Usual surface rust, and on the back was stamped 527B, so I did a Google and found nothing.

Pulled out the jaws and wire buffed the face to find the thing is stamped with the Birmingham Small Arms Company name and the three rifles.

Couldn't find any reference to BSA making lathe chucks this size. Churchill Machinery did tie in with BSA but they only made large lathes and were marketed under that name.

Anyone else seen a BSA chuck before?

Rob

TED C
18th October 2013, 08:02 PM
Rob,
BSA made single spindle automatic lathes, while a 'normal chuck' is not used on these machines who knows what other machines/attachments they may have manufactured.
Regards
Ted

nearnexus
18th October 2013, 08:38 PM
Rob,
BSA made single spindle automatic lathes, while a 'normal chuck' is not used on these machines who knows what other machines/attachments they may have manufactured.
Regards
Ted

Thanks Ted.

I looked at Tony's UKLathes site and found nothing, so I sent him a photo of the chuck stamping to see what he thought - might be interested.

Be interesting to see what his reply says.

I've pinged him a few times in the past and he's always interested in new information.

Rob

argeng
18th October 2013, 09:01 PM
I have a small BSA 4 jaw, 5 or 6 inch would have to dig it out to check. I tend to grip it in my larger chucks.
Well made.
Cheers
Bruce

nearnexus
18th October 2013, 09:01 PM
I just had a closer look and it says "BSA Tool Ltd" with the three rifle emblem.

Seems this was bought out in the 80's and is now USA based with a similar name, doing CNC.

Rob

nearnexus
19th October 2013, 08:56 AM
Got a reply from Tony at LathesUK.

He had absolutely no idea that BSA made lathe chucks.

Was very interested.

Rob