PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Laurel

Handy Andy14
21st October 2013, 04:36 PM
Hey guys was wondering if anyone had some camphaloral that they dont want?

Christos
21st October 2013, 05:19 PM
You can make your second bowl from another type of wood other than Camper.....

I might suggest that you keep an eye out in the wood section of the forum. TIMBER (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/)

or even in the market place under the free/swap sub-section. Market Place/Auctions (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f275/?c=8)

orraloon
21st October 2013, 05:46 PM
Get to know a few tree loppers. Other trick is when you hear a chainsaw in the street just wander up and ask for a lump or two of whatever wood is going. If you offer the owner of the tree a turning that usually works.
Scrounging wood is an essential skill for a turner.
Regards
John

torchwood
21st October 2013, 07:02 PM
Scrounging wood is an essential skill for a turner.
Regards
John
A prerequisite I'd say. :cool:

artme
21st October 2013, 07:18 PM
Yep. Firstly become a member of The Grand Amalgamated Union
0f Scroungers and Recyclers, then you can become a true turner!!:D:D:q

crowie
21st October 2013, 07:40 PM
G'Day Andy,
Could I encourage you to add what town you are in, in the beautiful big state of Queensland.
That might help in you timber request.
Good luck and keep up the good work.
cheers, crowie

mat_au
21st October 2013, 07:58 PM
yep also keep an eye on ebay and gumtree look under firewood ive got some nice wood and just sent them a message and traded them a bowl from their wood

Beedeejay
21st October 2013, 10:32 PM
Where abouts in QLD are you Andy?

Cheers Bens

Handy Andy14
22nd October 2013, 08:39 AM
Hey guys I live in redcliffe

whitewood
23rd October 2013, 07:27 AM
Hi Handy Andy,

Camphors are a weed in the Tweed / Murwillumbah and further south. If your prepared to travel that far you should be able to get as much as you want. Either green from cutting down a tree or dried but cutting up a standing dead tree.

Whitewood

Handy Andy14
24th October 2013, 08:50 AM
Cheers guys thanks

Beedeejay
25th October 2013, 12:02 AM
Hey Andy,
if you haven't already, check out then wodworking club in redcliffe
Redcliffe & District Woodcraft Society Inc - Moreton Bay Regional Council (http://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/app/cad/default.aspx?ref=1510)
This link has some contact details, I'm not sure if they will work I( I just did a real quick google search)
im sure someone there will be able to help you out,
otherwise if you come done the coast at all the GC Woodies have a little bit of Camphor that they sell, PM me and I can put you in touch with some of the members
cheers Ben

Wayne Blanch
25th October 2013, 04:03 PM
Hey Andy,
I have a piece or two of Camphor that you could have if you are interested. It is only rough cut and has some cracking, (not too bad though, I have turned a several largish 30+cm diameter bowls successfully from this lot of timber.) You should be able to get bowls up to about 35cm diameter (depending on design and your lathe I guess.) I live in Birkdale so not terrible close to you but your welcome to some if you like. If you are interested email me and we can set up a time. I have some health problems so I spend most of my time at home, so most I will probably be able to fit in with you.
Regards
Wayne

frohmuller
22nd May 2014, 07:40 PM
Hey guys was wondering if anyone had some camphaloral that they dont want?
I have approx 3t of Camphor Laurel wood for Free. ( from tree in backyard)