PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this wood ?

barryr
29th May 2005, 02:05 PM
the following picture is of a perfume applicator from the timbecon website , can anyone accurately identify the wood for me and if at all possible suggest a retailer ? Sheoak maybe or hairy oak ?

thanks , Bazz

Ianab
29th May 2005, 03:12 PM
Could be figured sheoak. Normal sheoak doesn't have that figure but occasionally it's found in a tree.

have a look at some pics
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/sheoak.htm
A close up.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/sheoak/sheoak,%20lacy%20red%20pen%20blanks%20wet%201%20s100%20q60%20web.htm

Sorry I dont know where you would get any, but thats what I think it is, hope that helps.

Cheers

Ian

DanP
29th May 2005, 04:07 PM
Banksia maybe?

Ivor
29th May 2005, 04:23 PM
Here's a couple of woods that are similar- allocasuarina and a hakea. My guess is that the handle is from the family Proteaceae which includes banksias and hakeas as well. They all tend to have those type of rays but they are very variable.

MathewA
29th May 2005, 04:39 PM
its what we up here call lacewood. Also known as silky oak - it comes from Aus

Iain
29th May 2005, 04:43 PM
I would have gone with sheoak, I have some pieces (very small) that look like that.

DanP
29th May 2005, 04:45 PM
I have a Banksia pen blank in the shed. I'll take a pic and post it soon.

JackoH
29th May 2005, 05:37 PM
As it is in Timbecons cattledog it is most likely to be allocasuarina
fraserana. Western Australian Lace Sheok. That's what it looks like too. :cool:

barryr
29th May 2005, 06:32 PM
thanks all , I have actually emailed Timbecon as well but was impatient in trying to find out .

I know it's an Aus wood and the Silky Oak could be it . I'm making a pool cue for a friend who had his stolen recently and he wants the same wood again as it was only one we've seen .
The pictures from hobbit house look close but it was a quite dark brown wood , slightly darker than the picture I posted but identical grain pattern . very attractive .

Tony Morton
29th May 2005, 10:23 PM
Hi Barry
Looka like beefwood to me nice dark colour and lace like grain I dont know botanical name.
cheers Tony

E. maculata
29th May 2005, 10:35 PM
Yeap Lace wood one of the oaks/casaurinas' from memory, got a 60 year old sample somewhere looks exactly like that. :)

powderpost
29th May 2005, 10:38 PM
Beefwood is also a casuarina. Lace wood is a septic name for Silky oak. Could also be macadamia.

Jim

barryr
29th May 2005, 10:46 PM
The guy it's for reckons the cuemaker told him it was "Teak Eucalyptus" or something like that which I told him I'd never heard of . I've sent Djarilmari the same pic by email asking if they have any .

Iain
30th May 2005, 08:36 AM
Another generic for the list :D

PAH1
30th May 2005, 10:01 AM
Beefwood is generally listed as Grevillia striata or G. parallela. To me the timber looks more like one of the banksias, starts off red and then goes that sort of red brown. Allocasuarina's (new name for the she oaks) are actually in a separate unrelated family to the proteacea (grevillia's banksia's etc).

barryr
30th May 2005, 11:33 AM
you'd think with all these wood workers here there would be a definitive answer . The pattern is exactly like Aussie lacewood but the color is way darker and brown rather than orange.

PAH1
30th May 2005, 11:47 AM
you'd think with all these wood workers here there would be a definitive answer . The pattern is exactly like Aussie lacewood but the color is way darker and brown rather than orange.

Yeh, but unlike many places on earth we have large groups of plants within the one genus eg Acacia-960 species and almost all of them are endemic to australia and many of those have very similar timber (you would hope so if a classification system meant anything). I think it is a banksia because the rays are not large enough for it to be a typical She oak, all of the examples that I have seen have much larger rays more interspersed with real wood, like the photo that was supplied by Ivor. Banksia rays however are smaller and more frequent, more similar to Cardwellia or Grevillia rays (given that they are in the same family this is not surprising). The colour also seems a bit of a clue because it is ageing to that muddy brown, the she oak that I have come into contact with ages to a deep brick red rather than the muddy brown colour. Having said all that I have only used the Eastern varieties and the western ones may be different, but I still think it is a Banksia or at least a proteacea type of timber.

The identification of timber from samples was regarded as the worst course that ANU foresters had to complete, very very complicated and small details changed what sort of thing you were looking at completely.

barryr
30th May 2005, 01:33 PM
Just got a reply from Timbecon and they tell me it's Sheoak !

thanks all.

PAH1
30th May 2005, 02:22 PM
Just got a reply from Timbecon and they tell me it's Sheoak !

thanks all.

Oh well you have my sympathy, the sheoak that I have is dark red with rays up to 5cm long, I did warn that timber ID from the wood itself is a pain.

barryr
30th May 2005, 03:16 PM
Oh well , I guess it's gonna be a case of find the closest piece to it that I can and work with that , whether I use Sheoak or one of the similar varieties brought up here !
Now the real fun , finding somewhere that not only has it but has some for me to pick from for color/pattern .
I'll await a reply from Djarilmari I guess , they claim to have heaps of Aussie treats to choose from !
If not , I guess I'll have to wait for the WWW show to eventually hit Adelaide and hope I get lucky there .
I do have to go to Otto's shortly so if I'm even luckier he may have some .
Geez , I'm asking for an awful lot of luck aren't I :eek: .

PAH1
30th May 2005, 03:23 PM
There are a lot of people who stock it, it just comes down to the price that you want to pay.

E. maculata
30th May 2005, 07:36 PM
The identification of timber from samples was regarded as the worst course that ANU foresters had to complete, very very complicated and small details changed what sort of thing you were looking at completely.
;) I'm sure it'd certainly be the least popular and bleedin difficult, sometimes it comes down to only smell, or even burning the timber and looking at the ashes.
When anyone else gets it right from 100% of the time I'll eat a sheoak (just call me cocky) :)

barryr
31st May 2005, 01:53 AM
There are a lot of people who stock it, it just comes down to the price that you want to pay.
can you tell me the name of any suppliers who stock small amounts of this , I only need roughly a 20" x 1.5" turning square , or alternately a 14" and a 6" piece x 1.5" square or even a few (4) slats of 1.5" x 1/2" to 3/4" x 20 would do , just enough for the one cue butt !
Cost isn't too relevant when buying small amounts , especially as I'll just charge the guy more for the cue if it costs more to make , he just wants the same look as he was use to .

PAH1
31st May 2005, 09:31 AM
Barry

You can try these people, my experience would be that they are not the cheapest, but they do not sell garbage.

Trend (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au)

Alternatively, the already mentioned Djarilimari, but I have no experience with them, Mullumbimby wood, OK but they have just moved and that may be why they are a bit difficult to contact

These guys are in adelaide so my be worth a first port of call

Bukartilla (http://www.bukartilla.com.au/a1timber.html)

PAH1
31st May 2005, 09:36 AM
;) I'm sure it'd certainly be the least popular and bleedin difficult, sometimes it comes down to only smell, or even burning the timber and looking at the ashes.
When anyone else gets it right from 100% of the time I'll eat a sheoak (just call me cocky) :)

True I think, to my knoledge there is only one person who can do it near 100% reliably in Australia at FFP in melbourne, and he has the largest reference collection in the southern hemisphere. Aparently he charges about $300 to identify a sample.

The students were not allowed to burn anything and had to do it all by eye and microscope, interesting course structure though, no lectures, free access to the lab with its largish collection of reference timber, students were responsible for making their own key and the exam was identifying unknowns.

alf t
31st May 2005, 12:58 PM
Pah1 is correct with the beefwood. It is Grevillea Striata. The wood shown is typical of the colour of WA sheoak that has aged. A lot of it tends to get a jarrah colour after a few years.
The grain of the sample is very much like our native pear that grows down Busselton way. I have some that has been cut about 18 months ago. It would probably fit your requirements in size and very attractive in grain. A bit more red than the sample. If you want a blank, let me know and I will cut some off for you. It will cost you the freight only.
Alf

oges
31st May 2005, 01:56 PM
I thought Beefwood also, but generally i know stuff all about identifying timbers :rolleyes:

barryr
31st May 2005, 02:51 PM
cheers Pah1 , unfortunately as I said in another post Trend are too slack to get back to me even though they said they would and Bukartilla (A1 specialty timbers) - I drove all the way to Hahndorf last week , a major cruise through the Adelaide Hills for me , only to find it's a small cottage , 1 of the 2 guys retired due to ill health and the other comes and goes freely and couldn't be found . The friendly girl running the mineral side of things at the cottage suggested I just keep ringing at different times of the day until I get hold of him , which I said wasn't gonna happen - I think he should take his website down as it's not the comepetent business people use to talk about and I'm probably not the only one to be sucked in to that long cruise for nothing .
(as is fairly obvious , I have a very low tolerance for slackly run businesses)

having said all that , thanks anyway .

ps: does anyone here on the forums sell this type of stuff in smallish amounts ?

barryr
31st May 2005, 02:54 PM
Alf T , just noticed your post a generous offer but I would feel better giving you post and some more for the wood (my father drummed it in to me as kid that I should pay for everything)thanks , Barry.

oges
1st June 2005, 09:33 AM
..I drove all the way to Hahndorf last week..

But its a nice place to look around, visited there when I was in Adelaide a few years ago. Small restaurant there with German cook, food and beer wha tmore could you want :D

barnsey
1st June 2005, 10:08 AM
The Australian Oaks come in so many forms and diversities. And I too have next to no knowledge of the species by visual identity but it sure looks like it with those radials!! :confused:

I have a couple of blanks - half limbs - that are about that colour/grain but they are only about 10 - 12" long so if thats a help let me know and I'll try and cut to your requirements.

Jamie

barryr
1st June 2005, 12:26 PM
But its a nice place to look around, visited there when I was in Adelaide a few years ago. Small restaurant there with German cook, food and beer wha tmore could you want :D
What more could I want Oges ? The timber guy who advertises timber to sell me some timber - but yeh , it was a nice drive , the sister was down from Queensland so at least it wasn't a total waste of time .

Barnesy , thanks for the offer , but already had a couple of other members help me out with this . again , thanks anyway .

Bazz

oges
1st June 2005, 01:31 PM
True, must admit I never noticed a wood place there but going on what you said it probably explains why.

barryr
1st June 2005, 01:37 PM
Yeh it was pretty disappointing as they use to have a great reputation , these days they rarely even answer an email . Unfortunately nothing lasts for ever . No doubt for anyone close enough to drop in regularly it could be a good source .

alf t
1st June 2005, 04:10 PM
Barryr and Pah1. I will be cutting the Xylomellum Occidentale tomorrow morning and will try to get it off in the afternoon.
Alf

barryr
1st June 2005, 08:57 PM
thanks Alf , very much appreciated

violincrafter
4th June 2005, 10:11 PM
It may be Snakewood? The turned profile is different to the blanks! Its a turners wood on a grand scale! Its generally used in knife top quality handles.

http://www.gilmerwood.com/photo%20html/Snakewood_photo.htm

http://www.knifescales.com/Snakewood1.html

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/squares_htm/exotics/snakewood.htm

barryr
4th June 2005, 11:33 PM
Nah , it was definitely not Snakewood , at least definitely not the South American species (Surinam Snakewood) in your links (haven't seen the Aussie stuff which is a different species totally) . I've got an antique cue made with a genuine Snakewood butt that's over a hundered years old in my collection , nothing at all like it .
It was definitely an Aussie wood , Sheoak , Banksia , whatever !

violincrafter
5th June 2005, 06:15 PM
Ok thanks for correcting me! If its banksia is it the seed pod part? Very interesting timbre must look into the good Aussie stuff for some nice turning material.

Cheers!

violincrafter
5th June 2005, 06:48 PM
I just came across this PDF file on banksia pods. Im not sure if its this timbre but if it is then are the cavities filled with clear resin of some kind before hitting the turning spindle? Rather interesting as I have not used Australian timbers.
http://www.pennstateind.com/library/Banksia-Nuts.pdf

This file might take a little while to down load

Violincrafter

barryr
6th June 2005, 11:46 AM
nah , not the pods either , just the timber .

nice clock though !

violincrafter
6th June 2005, 03:27 PM
Just surfin the net and came across this!

http://www.hotrodders.com/t61258.html

I seriously believe its sheoak! It looks fabulous stuff! Must get some soon.

PS The poster is an Aussie GUY! Gee gone around the world in 99 days and got to this forum on hotrods. Pure classic chance! lol

Violincrafter

barryr
6th June 2005, 04:39 PM
yeh that's what it looks like but darker . As a few of the lads pointed out on the first page of the post though a number of Aussie woods are similar .... and one of em is posting me some :D

Harry II
6th June 2005, 07:46 PM
I'll go beefwood too: Grevilea somethingorother

barryr
10th June 2005, 10:40 PM
wrong again guys

The winner is - Alf T with Xylomelum Occidentale (woody pear).

He sent me some and it's the right stuff (had the fella the cue is for check it out this arbo and his grin said it all)
Thanks again Alf .

barryr
10th June 2005, 10:42 PM
wrong again guys

The winner is - Alf T with Xylomelum Occidentale (woody pear).

He sent me some and it's the right stuff (had the fella the cue is for check it out this arbo and his grin said it all)
Thanks again Alf .:)