PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of a tool maker's block

Michael G
22nd October 2013, 09:33 PM
I was talking to another forum member today and the conversation drifted to making up angle plates, at which point I confessed to one day wanting to make up a tool maker's block.
I may have the term wrong, but I'm talking about something like these -
290393 290394

or something like
Tool Makers Grinding Cube | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Makers-Grinding-Cube-/290993467347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c08fefd3)
(the grinding cube is mainly for Josh's benefit but shows the general idea)

They do not appear often on Ebay - I've only seen one in the last year (and missed out on that one). There are plans for one in Guy Lautard's TMBR 2, although there does not seem to be a standard pattern for these things - they can be 3" or more in size, cubed or rectangular, have 3 to 5 solid sides and have varying patters of T slots, holes (tapped or plain) and slots in them. Some also have a V channel cut into them so that they can hold round bar. I suspect they were one of those things that toolmakers made for their own use and so size, shape and features varied depending on the maker.
A bit like 1-2-3 blocks they are used in what ever fashion that you like but can be used as an angle plate or to raise something up on a machine table.

Has anyone got one of these beasties? What do you know them as? Pics, dimensions and features please

Michael

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Makers-Grinding-Cube-/290993467347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c08fefd3)

Abratool
23rd October 2013, 01:52 PM
Michael
Yes, Im familiar with Toolmakers Blocks.
They are used for precision set ups, marking off & particularly good for holding work on a Surface Grinder.
Here is a photo of a few I made back in 1960 during apprentice times.
The one on the left is also a Vee block, & the one on the right has been used a lot in conjunction with Toolmakers Clamps (shown) also made at that time.
We used chrome alloy steel SD 51 which was case hardened, then ground & in some sections lapped to a precise 90 degrees. These blocks can also be used with small clamp plates, & screws to fasten work pieces by the tapped holes in the block. They measure approx 4" x 3" x 2"290440
The block in the back ground has magnetic pieces from speakers in radio production (we worked at AWA) & the magnets are held in place by casting solder. The block is then ground. This particular block is handy for holding parts for say marking out on a surface plate with a vernier height gauge.
Hope this is of interest.
regards
Bruce

Michael G
23rd October 2013, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't of thought of a magnet in a block, so thanks for posting that idea Bruce. I was starting to think I'd imagined these things and they were not as common as I though, so nice to see that someone else has heard of them.

Michael

Ueee
23rd October 2013, 08:12 PM
You see custom made blocks on ebay from time to time, mostly in the US. Presumably when an old machinist passes on and no family members want his gear.

I have seen commercial units like Bruce's V block before, not sure where though.

Ew

markgray
23rd October 2013, 10:36 PM
Hi Michael,
I have a few precision blocks that occasionally come out of their boxes.
The small cube is 3 inches square, the precision scraped angle block is an incredible piece of work by Hilger and Watts and the large block is 8 inches cubed with 5 sides scraped and 3 sides with T slots.
Mark

Brobdingnagian
24th October 2013, 12:06 AM
Hi Michael,
You really know how to tickle my brain. :) I know of these type of fixtures, I have a few and I'll take some pic's tomorrow. I have been looking at lots of different versions. There is another one that I can add to the discussion, it is T shaped block with a grid of tapped through holes with eccentric pins for locating work at different angles.

-J

the fabricator
26th October 2013, 04:35 PM
i was given one of these blocks when before I started my apprenticeship ( in 3rd year now ) by one of my dads friends, an ex toolmaker. he gave me tons of stuff, dials, mics, set of mitutoyo gauge blocks, old machine vice. of course at the time I had no idea what the block was used for, and it was rusty. but now its a project I work on whenever I get a chance. it has a series of different sized steps on it and tapped holes ( haven't found out the size yet ) so I take it there was a set of clamps with it at one stage which ill make one day. ill try remember to get a picture of it. they look useful for grinding keys, blocks and flat bars.

Anorak Bob
26th October 2013, 05:06 PM
You see custom made blocks on ebay from time to time, mostly in the US. Presumably when an old machinist passes on and no family members want his gear.

I have seen commercial units like Bruce's V block before, not sure where though.

Ew

The Ebay seller Machinistbox, trading out of Connecticut, frequently has custom made blocks up for auction. Bruce certainly made some neat gear as an apprentice, he may have been looking at a Starrett 567 vee block fifty or so years ago when he made his ?

BT

Anorak Bob
26th October 2013, 05:46 PM
Michael,

It appears that they were known here and in England as Box Angle Plates. Images from '60s catalogues by McPherson's, Eclipse and Verdict. Might aid your search.

Bob.

Brobdingnagian
26th October 2013, 06:24 PM

All of these I use regularly, sitting on top of what I would call a box parallel (5 sided though), most of these are in matched pairs or quads. Funny enough the only thing I don't really use is a standard 1-2-3 block....

-J

Anorak Bob
26th October 2013, 07:12 PM
Show off !! :D

Michael G
26th October 2013, 07:57 PM
It appears that they were known here and in England as Box Angle Plates.

Thanks Bob. I'll keep on looking.

Michael

Oldneweng
26th October 2013, 08:19 PM
Show off !! :D

Exactly my thoughts. Just trying to make us feel inadequate:D!

Dean

Brobdingnagian
26th October 2013, 08:34 PM
Don't hate, I'm sure you all have goodies big and small.

I just thought of another toolmakers block, I think it is called a bench block? normally circular with some different sized holes and a V or two.

Anorak Bob
26th October 2013, 09:12 PM
No hating here Josh. You know I have more than my fair share of goodies.:U

Here's Starrett's No 129 bench block.

Michael G
27th October 2013, 08:40 PM
Pete F sent me these today - more photos to define the sort of thing I was thinking of (in fact, these are exactly what I was thinking of)
(Apologies for the photo quality - my fault as they are screen grabs from the email. For some reason I couldn't save his images)
291090 291091

Interestingly there is not much bracing evident in them so they are not meant as an anvil but more as a fixture.

Thanks Pete
Michael

Brobdingnagian
29th October 2013, 01:41 PM
I have seen them around but non of them seem to have a consistent name.. :(

Semi off topic I have been playing around with an idea after tying to get a really good hold on a part while milling an angle, I thought this idea would be useful to some.

The basic idea is that of a sine bar, but where mine varies is that the movable pins extend out pass the body of the block and rest on the top face of the mill vice. The default indexes are 0±5° and 0±10° with the 5° point being that of a 5" sine bar and the 10° points being that of a 2" sine bar throw in some gauge block and you have all the angles you want.

-J

see attached

Brobdingnagian
30th October 2013, 02:12 PM
I think can identify a possible maker of that block as Obishi

see here (http://www.obishi.co.jp/english/mi/2/138.html)