PDA

View Full Version : Snow Gum

phillywood
23rd October 2013, 11:45 AM
Any one ever turned anything out of this tree timber, I was looking at the pictuers of it and man it looks like it should be beautiful timber for turning?
And if you did , do you still have some of that wood?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd October 2013, 12:56 PM
If you mean Euc. Pauciflora, then yes I have tried turning it and no, I don't have any more to hand.

The piece I had was prettily grained but prone to splintering, much like Blue Gum (E. Saligna) although not as dense. Not the best choice for a beginner turner but worth persevering with, IMHO. I'm not actively seeking more, though.

Well... I believe 'twas E. Pauciflora; I only have the vendors word for it. (The Woodsmith, a fairly well-known dealer in my area at the time.)

wheelinround
23rd October 2013, 04:07 PM
:D Yes its beautiful to turn was given a small piece (http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/snow-is-all-gone.html)and this is what was made its was then presented to a forumite believe he's still got it

Finial was redone after this photo didn't get a chance to take another.

No don't have any more.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aoknvTezfhA/SpD_D8ehmMI/AAAAAAAAAVY/PS9G61ZSMUQ/s1600/IMG_3909.jpg

Ray153
23rd October 2013, 04:15 PM
Any one ever turned anything out of this tree timber, I was looking at the pictuers of it and man it looks like it should be beautiful timber for turning?
And if you did , do you still have some of that wood?

Yes, I have made a couple of pens from it over the years, I have some left but am waiting for the right idea to come. I'm not ever going to part with it willingly, I believe its removal from certain areas is prohibited.

Turns a little splintery at times but does finish nicely. The stuff I have is a little prone to borers, particularly in the first 10mm inside the bark.

Ray

rsser
24th October 2013, 01:51 PM
Nice piece Wheelin.

Several times I've walked past a particular Snowgum burl in the alps and wished I had a folding bowsaw with me. But it was in a NP so that would've been a no no.

It's called pauciflora cos for a gum it's light-on re flowers.

It survives fires as it can regrow from the root. Those in the Vic Alps that got done over in 2003 now have sprouts of 1-2m.

So that suggests, if added ID info was needed, that it will have close growth rings.

dai sensei
24th October 2013, 03:45 PM
Currently in the high country at Jindabyne NSW surrounded by the stuff :2tsup:. So many look dead though :?. I assume recent rough years weather wise have taken their toll.

rsser
24th October 2013, 04:22 PM
After the fires in the noughties many will look dead. But look more closely.

Like other gums they've evolved to deal with fire.

wheelinround
25th October 2013, 08:48 AM
Nice piece Wheelin.

Several times I've walked past a particular Snowgum burl in the alps and wished I had a folding bowsaw with me. But it was in a NP so that would've been a no no.

It's called pauciflora cos for a gum it's light-on re flowers.

It survives fires as it can regrow from the root. Those in the Vic Alps that got done over in 2003 now have sprouts of 1-2m.

So that suggests, if added ID info was needed, that it will have close growth rings.

Thanks Ern I just wish I had taken another photo after the finial was fixed up might have to ask the new owner too send me one.

The Snow Gum was picked up off a property around Adaminaby outside the NP zone. The fellow I got it off hasn't been back down to get me some more.

wheelinround
25th October 2013, 08:57 AM
Currently in the high country at Jindabyne NSW surrounded by the stuff :2tsup:. So many look dead though :?. I assume recent rough years weather wise have taken their toll.

Jindy is outside NP zone

phillywood
25th October 2013, 03:13 PM
:D Yes its beautiful to turn was given a small piece (http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/snow-is-all-gone.html)and this is what was made its was then presented to a forumite believe he's still got it

Finial was redone after this photo didn't get a chance to take another.

No don't have any more.

Wheelin, thanks for sharing the pic. it looks very nice.