PDA

View Full Version : New job

powderpost
23rd October 2013, 04:49 PM
Have been playing around with some new ideas and techniques lately, unsuccessfully. So back to the old habits for a calming session on the lathe. This pot/piece measures about 225mm diameter and about 150mm high. Made from Queensland maple and some very old growth red cedar. The top was actually left over from another project, I just made a new bottom for it. Finished with sanding sealer and three sprayed coats of lacquer. Comments etc fine with me.
Jim

smiife
23rd October 2013, 06:54 PM
hi jim,
very nice bowl,you should be pleased with that one mate:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Drillit
23rd October 2013, 07:04 PM
Excellent work. Drillit. :2tsup:

Rod Gilbert
23rd October 2013, 07:21 PM
Looks great as appears to be the norm for you're segmented work. What have you used for the dividing lines through you're segments (the light and dark).
Regards Rod.

brendan stemp
23rd October 2013, 07:50 PM
Normally I don't get all that excited about laminated pieces but this one I really like. The pattern really compliments the shape and vice versa. Great stuff.:2tsup:

powderpost
23rd October 2013, 08:17 PM
Looks great as appears to be the norm for you're segmented work. What have you used for the dividing lines through you're segments (the light and dark).
Regards Rod.

Thanks Rod, I use veneer to separate the various elements. The light and dark lines were ash and walnut veneer.
Jim

orificiam
23rd October 2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Jim another master piece, Congrats.

Cheers Tony.:)

Ad de Crom
24th October 2013, 12:43 AM
Jim, very beautiful, perfectly made, just as we expect from you.
That red cedar gives it a nice look.
Ad :2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
24th October 2013, 01:26 AM
The top part has more appeal for me than the bottom half.

artme
24th October 2013, 07:15 AM
Super piece PP!! great pattern design and a very pleasing shape to the eye.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
24th October 2013, 08:53 AM
Nice one Jim. I like the balance of the pattern and colours. It has your customary superb glue lines :2tsup: with a very good finish to boot.

Ilya
24th October 2013, 09:27 AM
She is beautiful!

Tim the Timber Turner
24th October 2013, 10:47 AM
Too much time on your hands again Jim?:roll:

I also like cutting big bits of wood up into little bits.:2tsup:

My problem is trying to glue them back together again.

I get glue over everything and the bits of wood all slide around everywhere except where I want them to be.:~

And that is just with a couple of bits of 4x2, I usually fix this with my nail gun.

I share Brendan's taste in laminated work, but if I had to say something nice, I would say it about this piece.:2tsup:

Cheers

Tim:)

powderpost
24th October 2013, 09:05 PM
but if I had to say something nice, I would say it about this piece.:2tsup:
:?Cheers

Tim:)

:?

Jim

coffenup
24th October 2013, 09:10 PM
nice job the Jim and another fantastic job
Regards Michael

Mobyturns
24th October 2013, 09:59 PM
Jim,

Another outstanding piece from the master. :2tsup: The way you have used the compression grain Qld Maple for the top feature ring sets this piece way up there IMHO. The veneers really show case the edge definitions plus the Silver Ash (?) buttons look spot on. :cool: Hope you have this at Prossy.