PDA

View Full Version : Dean smith grace lathe

markgray
23rd October 2013, 10:45 PM
The DSG 13x42 is slowly being brought back to life. Needed a major clean and some new cross slide nuts but otherwise it is not too bad290536290537290538. Some guards to go back on and will nearly be ready to fire up.
I need to find a new oil gun to fit the grease nipple type oiling points. Does anyone know where you can buy such a thing.

gawdelpus
23rd October 2013, 11:30 PM
The DSG 13x42 is slowly being brought back to life. Needed a major clean and some new cross slide nuts but otherwise it is not too bad290536290537290538. Some guards to go back on and will nearly be ready to fire up.
I need to find a new oil gun to fit the grease nipple type oiling points. Does anyone know where you can buy such a thing.

From memory you don't need a pressure oiler for these types, an ordinary pump oil can should do it :) I do recall a sort of double action pump can as well , which was a single cylinder you placed over the nipple and pushed down , it was a long time ago though :( Dean smith and grace used to be the rolls royce of Centre lathes ,and were made to last well , that looks like it will handle anything you can throw at it hehe, cheers ~ John (retired fitter and turner )

Anorak Bob
24th October 2013, 12:06 AM
Mark,

If you do find you need a push type pump oiler, Abnox offer one to suit. - Abnox - Hand Push Pump 120 cm3 3196300 (http://www.abnox.com/htm/616/en/Hand-Push-Pump-120-cm3.htm?Product=17012)

I have a couple of Wanner ( Abnox were Abnox Wanner a while back ) oilers that suit the ball nipples on my Schaublin. They work. I bought them cheaply on Ebay UK. - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/wanner-pump-oiler-refurbishment-160503/#post1563644

Bob.

Brobdingnagian
24th October 2013, 12:15 AM
Looks good in its new home.
There is also Albert Kuhn, they have most things lube delivery related. attached catalog, sorry but its in German, but prices are ok, their price list is online somewhere you might get some good ebay saved search terms from it such as "Öl Stoßpresse". :)

-Josh

Michael G
24th October 2013, 06:55 AM
Just check that some well meaning idiot hasn't pumped grease into those nipples...

Michael

RayG
24th October 2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Mark,

Nice to see such a great machine find a good home! :2tsup: if I was ever to abandon my dream of getting a Schaublin, a DSG would be pretty close next choice

Look forward to seeing some more pictures!

Regards
Ray

Abratool
24th October 2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Mark,

Nice to see such a great machine find a good home! :2tsup: if I was ever to abandon my dream of getting a Schaublin, a DSG would be pretty close next choice

Look forward to seeing some more pictures!

Regards
Ray
Ray
Agree, "Dean Smith & Grace", beautiful quality lathes.
regards
Bruce

markgray
24th October 2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I had a couple of hand oiler pumps but they have the ends for the
flat type oiler ports. Anyway managed to take one off
and covert a grease gun end to fit and it seems to work quite well.

Mark