PDA

View Full Version : Globe in spherical box

Rod Gilbert
25th October 2013, 04:16 PM
Here is a segmented globe and box that I turned a while ago the box and stand are jarrah and the globe is silver ash with jarrah lines the map outlines are burnt on the fin around the middle silver ash and burnt N S E W and lines . The base is simply curved to the top so that the box will sit in what ever position you swivel it to. The base and box are 4mm thick I couldn't decide on how to make the base but fate took care of that for me the base was the first lid which I had finished forgetting to do the rebate to the edge to fit the base as I tried to do the rebate got carried away and the lid exploded hence some trimming and the base appeared turned the stub that I had left to re-chuck to turn the handle concave to accommodate the curve of the box.
Regards Rod.

turnerted
25th October 2013, 04:32 PM
That looks a challenging job.Must have kept you amused for a while.Well done.
Ted

A Duke
25th October 2013, 05:25 PM
That is fantastic.
Regards

artme
25th October 2013, 05:43 PM
RBF!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hermit
25th October 2013, 06:06 PM
Outstanding work Rod. :2tsup:
Looks fantastic.

dai sensei
25th October 2013, 08:01 PM
Love it :cool:, well done :2tsup:

powderpost
25th October 2013, 08:29 PM
Very clever, there is some accurate turning there. Nice outcome for a "design" opportunity too. :2tsup:
Jim

Rod Gilbert
25th October 2013, 08:41 PM
Thank you all for the kind words.
The centre of the spherical box is the bottom edge of the silver ash fin the pivot points are 3mm brass rod with the top end being a brass tube with the 3mm rod inside with a old pen spring allowing to remove the ball.
Regards Rod.