PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Mill - Finish Questions

jarradds123
26th October 2013, 10:06 PM
Hi All,

I made my first pepper mills today out of Jacaranda and Blackwood I got from MM, they are 10 Inches high. It is a lot easier making an individual item and not trying to match them. The photo is from my phone so it is not the best.

I am hoping you could let me know what you normally finish your mills with? At this stage I have only sanded to 500g and EEE. I was going to use Shellawax however this is only going to protect the outside. Would Rustins DO be suitable? At this stage I am unable to look at a system for spraying NC lacquer. I am after a finish for the lathe or one that can easily be applied after turning.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers290940

dai sensei
27th October 2013, 09:45 AM
For the inside I use a few coats of UBeaut's Hard Shellac. Outside Shellawax is fine and easy to apply, but these days however I am using NCL for the good ones.

artme
27th October 2013, 10:08 AM
Nice work on those!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think NCL, like neil uses, is a good tough finish. It is not over glossy, is tough and durable.

A WOP would also do a good job.

turnerted
27th October 2013, 04:28 PM
I always use Rustons DO for my grinders.Not sure how it would go over EEE though.
Ted

DJ’s Timber
27th October 2013, 07:29 PM
I use either Shellawax or Shellawax Glow on mine, don't use anything on the internals as I believe the salt/pepper will eventually wear whatever is used on the internals so why bother, never had any recalls or probs following this regime, apart from one which had a iffy gumline in it and I half expected it to eventually split of which I replaced at half price using the original mechanism cause they said they wanted it made from that piece of timber.

jarradds123
27th October 2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I will use a test piece to see how EEE & DO work and also see how the Shellawax finishes.

I will not be able to look at a spraying system for NCL until the new year.

Cheers

RETIRED
28th October 2013, 11:39 AM
You can buy NCL in spray cans.