PDA

View Full Version : Yew hollow form

Dalboy
27th October 2013, 03:39 AM
Not been doing a lot in the way of turning as I am a good 3/4 of the way through making a car rocker. While the paint is drying I am making three tea light stand for dinning table(still need varnishing) again waiting for glue to dry, so I thought that I would turn a piece of yew that I had sitting around with a fault in it.
Below is the end result as stated made from Yew and stands 5" tall 3" across also managed to get wall thickness down between 1/8" to 3/16"

Rod Gilbert
27th October 2013, 07:09 AM
Very nicely done Dalboy did you have much movement while turning with that fault virtually the full length of the piece.
Regards Rod.:2tsup:

Drillit
27th October 2013, 08:55 AM
Very nice. Love the texture and shape. Drillit.

dai sensei
27th October 2013, 09:41 AM
Nice piece, I am amazed it held together :o

artme
27th October 2013, 09:55 AM
Like that!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I too am surprised that it held together.

crowie
27th October 2013, 10:09 AM
That's got to be 10 out of 10 Derek; the grain/figure are beautiful and the split almost the full length - master classes please!! Cheers, crowie

Dalboy
27th October 2013, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for the great comments. As I said this really was just a bit of light relief while things were drying.

Nice piece, I am amazed it held together :o

There was no problem with it flying to pieces the whole piece was quite sturdy. Once I had turned the outside (after picking out any loose bits) I wrapped the thickest part with 1" wide masking tape as well as the neck, leaving the rest not taped.

This made it a lot easier to turn the inside as once I had got to the stage where the walls were getting about 3/8" thick you could see the ghosting of the tool inside. This made it a lot easier to see how thick the walls were.

Christos
2nd November 2013, 07:15 PM
I really like this piece, thank you for sharing.

While waiting for the paint to dry. :U

rsser
5th November 2013, 04:00 PM
Enterprising work. Well done.

One of the things I learned from for this kind of job is to use non-stretch tape like packing or sellotape.

Maybe that's what you used; masking tape can also just be sticky paper.