PDA

View Full Version : New Mens Shed on the Central Coast NSW

Aussie redback
29th May 2005, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone,
I am the coordinator of the Mens Shed Project here on the central coast (Umina) would appreciate your help we will be building it mid Sept 25 x 25 mt and is fully paid for to lockup stage. 3 workshops, one metal, one multi and one wood.
Would appreciate any tips especially due to the fact I have been donated 6 timber boats of all sizes
What would be the best layout for a 'general woodwork' shop and then a wodwork shop especially for wood boats.
As I said, all impute gratefully received, you can e-mail me,
Regards,
Derek

Daddles
30th May 2005, 12:11 AM
Well, if you're mucking about with a boat, particularly if you're building one, you need to have room for the boat itself, with working access all around it, plus room to work on a lump of wood the length of the boat. If you're working with plywood, you will be handling a piece of timber 4' wide and as long as the next largest multiple of 8' because the ply comes in 4x8 sheets and to get a plank, you need to scarf sheets together to get the length. So, if you're working on a 20' boat, you'll wind up with a sheet of ply 4'x24' (a bit under actually). That and the boat takes up a lot of space.

Good solid workbenches that allow you to clamp a plank the length of the boat to them and work on them. This can be done with the traditional work bench, provided you have two of them in line.

You'll need storage for sheets of ply/chipboard/mdf 4'x8' plus a storage for planks of timber and the off cuts.

To build the Yellowtails (14') and then, later, the 20' Motor Cruiser at TAFE, we needed a bench the size of the scarfed sheet with a sacrificial top on it. We also used this bench for the lofting board which is the same size as the boat. In addition to that, we needed the work benches mentioned above to work the planks. We could have done it all on one set up but that would have been a right, royal pain in the bum.

Table saw, thicknesser, buzzer and band saw were all used extensively in building those boats, as was a jigsaw and circular saw. The cordless drills were permanently in our clumsy paws. You need about a million clamps. I'd say you need to provide these even for repairs to old boats.

Space is what you need to aim for, space to move long bits of stubborn timber. And like everything, what you are doing will expand to completely fill the available space. But you knew that. Consider making things as mobile as possible ie, being able to drag benches around or power tools. That way, you can customise the shop to the job. The twenty footer we built took up an amazing amount of space and the storage for the materials was scary (try frames every half metre, and we were only getting one frame out of a sheet of chipboard).

Best of luck with it. When are you setting one up around the corner from me?

Cheers
Richard

Matchwood
24th September 2007, 08:52 PM
...sounds interesting.

Shed for new men? New shed for men? Place for men to shed..?

Or just a place for blokes?

Could you elaborate?

Boatmik
26th September 2007, 11:45 PM
If you are making benches and so on it is really nice to make them all the same height - and maybe the same height as your sawbench. Means that work areas can be extended in dozens of different arrangements.

Biting Midge put me onto that. I don't know where he stole it from!

MIK

Lumber Bunker
27th September 2007, 11:42 PM
Derek,
Mens sheds are booming, with the Umina Shed and the new Kincumber Shed, men will not know what to do with themselves.

If you what to see a good workshop layout. Come into our store at west Gosford. We've had coments like "This is the best layout i've seen" from other customers, in the past.

We can also help you with setting up, as we have with the Kincumber shed.

Drop in any time and introduce your self, and i'll give you the tour.
Check our web site for opening times etc.

Good luck.

As rat says to mole
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.''

pawnhead
28th September 2007, 12:23 AM
We can also help you with setting up, as we have with the Kincumber shed.

Drop in any time and introduce your self, and i'll give you the tour.
Check our web site for opening times etc.

Good luck.He hasn't logged on since posting this thread over two years ago now. He's probably got it set up by now. I doubt he'll be around anymore, but he may still read his email notifications if he has it enabled. :wink:

warrens
4th March 2008, 01:47 PM
Could you please give me the address and opening times of the shed at umina please.
Thanks
Warren

wheelinround
4th March 2008, 02:28 PM
Could you please give me the address and opening times of the shed at umina please.
Thanks
Warren

go here and put your details in http://mensheds.com.au/index.php?id=locator

here you go

Here are the 10 closest locations to your address. Name AddressSuburbStatePhoneDistanceContact Name Umina Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);) Bourke RdUminaNSW 02 4342 39591.51 kmDerek MorrisonKincumber Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);) Avoca DriveKincumberNSW 02 4368 42428.45 kmWally MorrisonHornsby Woodworking Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);)Sinclair AvenueThornleighNSW 02 9634 603732.28 kmPhilip HirshbeinMosman 'Hal Shed (javascript:void(0);)72 Prince StMosmanNSW 02 9953 385634.86 kmGlen HarringtonLane Cove Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);)17 Fig Tree StLane CoveNSW 02 9418 845936.08 kmRuth Van HerkNorth Sydney Community Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);) Russell StWollstonecraftNSW 02 9953 312636.32 kmAnthony MeggittTelopea - Our Shed Community Project (javascript:void(0);)16 Shortland StTelopeaNSW 02 9896 107340.05 kmPaul LearyMary Mackillop Outreach Centre Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);)1B Thomas StLewishamNSW 02 9568 024744.28 kmBob NelsonWestmead Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);)75 Hawkesbury RdWestmeadNSW 02 8213 869944.95 kmRon FoxMarrickville Men's Shed (javascript:void(0);) Sydenham RdMarrickvilleNSW 02 9568 024745.59 kmGary Greinke