PDA

View Full Version : New member from near Houston, TX

SinclairP40
31st October 2013, 01:50 AM
I really live in Richmond, a small town 30 miles from Houston - but who has heard of that? I have been doing woodwork since junior high school - during this same period Paul McCartney had a band called 'Wings'. I am a nurse, have worked in computers for several years, ride (And work on) bicycles and motorcycles. I have done a little turning and would like to do more - I have an AMT lathe I got for Christmas several years ago that looks like a copy of a Jet - but all the quick releases are broken. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix that let me know - I am not sure its worth doing as some of the lathes I am looking at (Like the Nova) are much better made but are over $1,000, so maybe it is... Am working on redoing some old speakers - have finished the cabinet repair and am working on redoing the crossovers. So, like most of you - I have varied interests and do different things! I also need to know the best way to clean up an old level - I have found the old tools to be of higher quality often times than new ones, and have a Stanley No. 30 I would like to make look better - it works fine, just dirty looking with the black Japaning? around the bubbles worn a good bit.

crowie
31st October 2013, 07:46 AM
G'Day & Welcome "to the Great South Land" & to a top forum "Sinclair".
There are quite a few members from Texas & the USA on the forum as well as across the rest of the world..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

PS - Try adding a new thread in the old tools or hand tools section for the questions as you should get more readers and answers....

old1955
31st October 2013, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the forum Sinclair.

tdrumnut
31st October 2013, 01:48 PM
Gidday Sinclair, welcome aboard and may your journey with us be a pleasant one.

JJF
1st November 2013, 08:24 AM
welcome aboard

Christos
5th November 2013, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the forum. I might suggest asking the wood turning question in this sub-forum.

WOODTURNING - GENERAL (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/)