PDA

View Full Version : Pens for Christmas 2013

Simomatra
31st October 2013, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone

I am collecting pens again this time for Christmas, although we are pulling out of Afghanistan, there will still be troops there for some time yet

I will need to have them by the end of November

Mort
5th November 2013, 10:28 PM
Hi Simomatra. I thought our fearless leaders said we would all be out by Christmas?

PenTurner
7th November 2013, 10:03 AM
Mort, as Sam mentioned in his post, that even though we are out by Christmas officially, there still will be quite a few there for a while yet; also, there are other places of deployment, ships at sea, etc, that we target with the pens as gifts of appreciation for their service. Amos:)

Simomatra
7th November 2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks Amos I think there will be still way over 200 people still there this Christmas but Afghanistan is not the only place we have troops deployed, lets tell then they are special.

Touchwood
8th November 2013, 09:31 PM
Hi, I will once again do some for the Christmas post ....maybe they will be resin filled with mosquitoes as we have loads to give away at the moment!!!!!

JD

Grommett
8th November 2013, 09:46 PM
I'm up for some

Simomatra
8th November 2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks Michael, beside me you are #1

David Mitchell
9th November 2013, 10:34 PM
Hi Sam,
I will send you some more pens
Regards
David:2tsup:

Simomatra
10th November 2013, 06:49 AM
Many thanks Jenny and David, Jenney even email must have to fight the head wind as yours is showing sent before Michael's but was not there yesterday

m.t
19th November 2013, 07:29 PM
i sent mine friday u should have them soon :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Simomatra
20th November 2013, 06:15 AM
Thank you will post pictures when they get here

Simomatra
22nd November 2013, 12:05 PM
i sent mine friday u should have them soon :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I have not seen them as yet have received from Grommet and Sundowner though pictures soon

m.t
22nd November 2013, 07:30 PM
I have not seen them as yet have received from Grommet and Sundowner though pictures soon
aust post :~:~:~

Simomatra
23rd November 2013, 01:04 PM
Pictures of pens received first 10 from Michael aka Grommet

The next 20 are from Graham aka Sundowner

sundowner
23rd November 2013, 02:47 PM
Need to mention all blanks were donated by Mapleman & Sam. Thanks Graham

Simomatra
24th November 2013, 11:40 AM
OK got my act together and here is a baker's dozen, I hope to get some more made this week

Simomatra
25th November 2013, 01:08 PM
Hi Malcolm the Australia Post pigeon finally made it here with your great bunch of pens and sleeves :2tsup::2tsup:

m.t
25th November 2013, 07:47 PM
Hi Malcolm the Australia Post pigeon finally made it here with your great bunch of pens and sleeves :2tsup::2tsup:
thanks your welcome :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Touchwood
25th November 2013, 10:48 PM
Hi Sam
I am putting a bakers dozen in the mail - express post - tomorrow. It will still take a couple of days but should not take the 10 regular post can take!!!

fingers crossed

:fingerscrossed:

JD
from over here in 'Wait Awhile'

Simomatra
27th November 2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks jenny will let you know when they arrive

Simomatra
28th November 2013, 11:06 AM
Jenny the pigeon flew well just received them beautiful as usual

Simomatra
28th November 2013, 02:13 PM
Some more I have made, this brings the total up to 60. The red ask blanks were supplied from Adam at Australian Turning Timbers

Touchwood
29th November 2013, 12:36 AM
the pigeon flew well

there must be so much inequity in what the pigeons are fed .... what about pigeon rights!!! :o

Glad they arrived safe and sound and JUST before the dead line :B

16 more days until the end of work for a LONG while YAY :2tsup::2tsup:

JD

Simomatra
29th November 2013, 11:59 AM
Enjoy your holidays Jenny

Simomatra
3rd December 2013, 03:19 PM
Just arrived some pens from David Mitchel, many thanks David

Simomatra
11th December 2013, 08:43 AM
Well finally, the pens will be in the mail this morning, I have had trouble getting a contact in Afghanistan but now we have two so I split the pens up and they are off to the two contacts. Both contacts have looked at what we have done and wish to thank everyone for all their much appreciated efforts.

Quote from email

I took the liberty of having a look at the Facebook page and was very impressed at the quality of product and the intent of the venture. There is no doubt that the effort gone into this says a great deal about the calibre of people contributing to it. Please pass on my thanks on behalf of everyone at HQ JTF633 for the work being done.

Thank you all have a Merry Christmas

Touchwood
12th December 2013, 12:36 AM
Thanks must also go to Sam for once again coordinating this event. Pens for the Troops has been going for a few years now and without the coordinators (and there have been only a few) if would not be possible.... so thank you :brava:clap2::brava:clap2:

Lets hope that the gesture at least brings a lit of happiness to these people far from home at Christmas.

JD

:santahat:

Simomatra
12th December 2013, 07:17 AM
Thank you Jenny its my pleasure its the least I can do for our troops.

Simomatra
28th December 2013, 08:25 AM
The first box was received and we got this email back name and address withheld.

Congratulations to all that took part, there was also another parcel that went to a different address so hopefully it has also arrived.

I am now accepting pens and donation for Anzac Day 2014

Gday Bruce,

I would like to thank you and the Pen Turning Section of the Woodwork Forums Australia on behalf of all deployed troops for your efforts and very thoughtful gifts. The pens you have presented are beautifully crafted and greatly appreciated by all recipients. I only received your box today. I sent out an email about your pens and most of them have already been collected. I also provided a copy of your letter to each recipient and trust that they will also contact you with their appreciation.

While the formed body deployments of Australian troops have officially ended, there are still over 400 Australian military personnel working in embedded positions throughout Afghanistan and the Middle East. A large number of them are in very influential positions which is a testament to the good light in which our military personnel are viewed by ISAF and especially the US.

I will still be here for ANZAC Day 2014, so you are welcome to use my address at that time. I will attempt to provide you with a follow on contact before I do eventually head home.

Please convey my best wishes to all who have contributed to your very generous gifts and wish them the very best for the coming New Year.

Simomatra
3rd January 2014, 07:19 AM
This email arrived this morning as you can see they were well received

Dear Bruce,

I am writing, by email ironically, to thank you for the pen that I received as part of the Pen for the troops campaign. It was such a delight to hear that pens had arrived, and when Brad sent out the email i went to his office to get some for the Aussie Team i work with. Mine is beautiful, as they all are. They were quite the envy of the American Troops who we work with.

Thank you so much for the idea, and the thoughtfulness of the gift, and I am sure that I , along with others, will appreciate them for a long time to come.

Warmest regards

Name with held

Simomatra
23rd January 2014, 04:16 PM
The second set of Christmas pens have finally arrived and I rec a quick email of thanks from the Padre as below names etc removed

Just a very quick Email to let you know that the pens have arrived. It is easy to see that a great deal of love has gone into these pens and I am sure that the recipients will appreciate them and the thoughts behind them. Please pass my thanks on behalf of everyone who receives a pen to the men and women who have donated their time and talent. I will personally write to Bruce in the coming days and thank him for his thoughtfulness.

Regards,

That is great news, I only asked the post office about tracking them this morning. As you can see they are much appreciated many thanks to all involved

Simomatra
6th February 2014, 04:50 PM
Just received this picture and email of thanks from Padre Duncan

Grommett
6th February 2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks to the Padre.