PDA

View Full Version : HSS tool holders for QC toolpost

Grahame Collins
1st November 2013, 09:50 AM
I want to make some HSS tool holders for some 1/4" HSS sticks I bought off Evil Bay.

The BXF QC change dovetails all have a 16mm aperture height.

I have got some 16mm square Cold rolled bar.

The plan is to dock it to 100mm lengths and bore them to a diameter to suit the HSS 1/4" diagonal measurement. The tooling will be locked in the 16mm square by grub screws which I will drill and tap for.

Is there a better way way given I have no mill to slot the 16mm?

Grahame

Stustoys
1st November 2013, 10:20 AM
Why not mill it in the lathe?
Just set the holder 1/2 the cutter dia higher than you want it center height to be at in use and you're almost done.
You could if you felt the need weld a plate over the side to give you a square hole. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont depending what I think the load and its direction will be.(so for the lathe not likely, for the shaper likely)

While a square peg in a round hole works, its not exactly rigid.

Stuart

Ueee
1st November 2013, 10:40 AM
Depending what sort of tool you are mounting, you can just clamp the hss in the holder, that's what I do for my champhering and thread cutting tools. For general cutting tools it may not be held well enough, but I would go to 3/8 or 1/2 hss for those anyway.
The only other problem may be that you can't get the holder high enough on the post, if so just pack the hss up a bit.

Cheers,
Ew

th62
1st November 2013, 10:42 AM
I made a tool holder from 16mm bar using my lathe as a mill. I just clamped the 16mm stock in the tool post and used packing under the tool post to get the stock to the required height. I don't have parallels so I used HSS blanks and feeler gauges. For other milling jobs I've used an angle vice, using packing under the stock between the jaws to get the stock to the right height. Obviously a vertical slide would be better; unfortunately, the Hafco slides are rubbish and I haven't seen any others except for Seig.

Retromilling
1st November 2013, 11:36 AM
This is my solution to holding full length HSS. It allows the QC tool holder to still be used for other kinds of tooling .
Allows the HSS to be removed and replaced quickly when re sharpening and reduced waste . Threads up fairly close to a shoulder . You could angle the holding cut up a bit on some if you prefer.291601291602291603291600

Grahame Collins
1st November 2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys,
I think that Stuystoys and RetroMiller have got me pointed in the direction I need to go in.

I do favour support for the HSS tooling in the manner that Retromilling has shown as I believe that the more unsupported a tool is, the more is likely to chatter.

A bit of a 'duh" moment here.I had forgot that I now have a set of ER 40 collets & chuck for the lathe in the tool cupboard. I am like that. I buy stuff and squirrel it away and forget it is there.

It should be possible to just place a blank 16 x 16 square in the QC holder and cut it using a 1/4 slut drill and movement of the cross slide. Having no slit saw tool I will cut them with the hacksaw.

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Grahame

Steamwhisperer
1st November 2013, 05:16 PM
It should be possible to just place a blank 16 x 16 square in the QC holder and cut it using a 1/4 slut drill and movement of the cross slide. Having no slit saw tool I will cut them with the hacksaw.

Using a what kind of 1/4" drill Grahame. Lol

Phil

Retromilling
2nd November 2013, 11:48 AM
My slut drill is bigger than 1/4" though . :D

scottyd
2nd November 2013, 07:09 PM
Is a slut just a very open slot?!?

(Might wanna look at that typo there mate!!!)

Oldneweng
2nd November 2013, 07:46 PM
You are going to make me blush soon.

Dean

tanii51
2nd November 2013, 09:04 PM
Wheres the mods when they are needed:doh::D
we all make typos im sure
:roll:

Grahame Collins
3rd November 2013, 12:57 AM
Maybe its wot I said when the 6.35mm slot drill turned into a 6mm one.
I don't recall buying a 6mm as I bought the 1/4"specifically for the job.

Had to dial in the QC tool holder upwards by 0.35mm.Rough as guts but it worked.

Grahame