PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Bowl

Christos
1st November 2013, 11:16 AM
I ended up with a few bowl blanks and have started to use them to practice. This is one that I made about two months ago and I was getting a lot of tear out even after sharpening the tools. I could not get rid of the tear out and not wanting to sand for hours I ended using a dye to highlight it. I sanded as normal going up through the grits and got the surrounding area smooth before applying the dye. Then sanded again after the dye was dry.

I used Ubeaut water dyes, the yellow and finished with Ubeaut Shellawax Glow.

Please feel free to comment if you like it or if you feel I need to do something else in the next piece.

SNAFU11
2nd November 2013, 03:57 AM
You have been busy Christos,i bought the same dyes but have not used them yet,the bowl IMO looks really good with the yellow..well done:2tsup:

Mick!!!

Pat
2nd November 2013, 05:57 AM
Christos, you are a glutton for punishment. Oregon is notoriously difficult to get a tear out free surface from. It's to do with the growth cycle rings . . . harder,softer,harder etc.

Drillit
2nd November 2013, 09:04 AM
Christos,
Agree wih Pat - dodge oregan, the chisels seem to jump on the ridges and when sanding
you can finish up with little hollows between the darker layers. As my old mentor would say,
good practice for dog bowls is oregan. Drillit.