PDA

View Full Version : Silky Oak Bowl

Christos
1st November 2013, 11:44 AM
Yep another bowl but this time not from the stock of bowl blanks but from a friend that had a tree cut down some time ago. There were a lot of thin pieces from this tree and you are not going to get any big bowls. I was using this to practice in making a bowl. It does have a lot of figure when you move the bowl but I also think I could have cut and shaped it a little bit different. I guess next time.

The wall thickness starts from 7mm and goes to 15mm towards the bottom curve. I was not as consistent as I should have been another next time. :)

Feel free to comment and offer suggestions.

291605 291606

Pat
1st November 2013, 12:54 PM
Christos, we all start there. More practice you get the more confident you are.

turnerted
1st November 2013, 04:54 PM
Some nice Silkyoak there.
A suggestion.Try to get a rounder,more gradual transion from the wall to the base of your bowl.With the sharp change of direction from wall to base you are just making hard work for youself. Try to resist the urge to to try and get the maximum volume bowl possible from your blank . Form is more important than size.
Ted

chuck1
1st November 2013, 08:42 PM
nothing like a successful pratice!

SNAFU11
2nd November 2013, 03:52 AM
Your bowl looks good mate..

Mick!!!

Pat
2nd November 2013, 05:53 AM
Christos, here's a little Camphor bowl with a smooth transition.

wheelinround
2nd November 2013, 08:39 AM

Its in one piece also :q looks smik Pat colour will pop when finished.:2tsup:

Drillit
2nd November 2013, 09:00 AM
Christos,
The important point here is that you are hooked on turning. The more you do
the better you get, me thinks. So I encourage you to keep at it. You will learn
from good pointers on this Forum and I always say a woodturning club is a must
after you have had the mandatory lessons. I dont think that there is a turner in creation
who has stopped learning. At least this one has not. Drillit.

Sawdust Maker
2nd November 2013, 10:37 AM
Nice bit of wood - lovely grain

and I agree with Ted on form but sometimes we need the deep bowls like you've made :2tsup:

Christos
2nd November 2013, 06:40 PM

Pat we all know that you tend not to turn anything small. :q I got to try one with a little bit more curve for the inside.

Pat
2nd November 2013, 07:24 PM
Christos, I beg your pardon, today I was busy turning spinning tops <30mm diameter. That Camphor bowl is only around the 200mm x 50mm mark.

You are more than welcome to wander down the coast for some practice.

The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing.

Christos
2nd November 2013, 07:39 PM
I do enjoy this hobby. I also know I have to start getting rid of them giving them away as I have limited space.

wheelinround
3rd November 2013, 09:38 AM
I do enjoy this hobby. I also know I have to start getting rid of them giving them away as I have limited space.

Me also

Christos I am not sure how many of these fellows know your having to travel to use your lathe that in itself must be ARPIA from one side of town to the other. Its good to have that time I guess and a break from the hum drum about the house.