PDA

View Full Version : Silky Oak Clock

Christos
1st November 2013, 12:01 PM
I had some Silky Oak from a friends tree that was cut down a little while ago. So I thought I would try and make a clock. Actually this is the fourth time that I had attempted to make a clock. I still have the other attempts stored and I know I will get to them eventually :rolleyes: but this one that I am presenting for your comments and suggestions.

It is always good to have a template of the mechanism to ensure that this will sit flat in the recess. I ended using a scraper to remove the rest of the back and towards the edge a slight undercut. I have placed in on the wall to see if that works and yes to my surprise it does.

The numbers are just stuck on and so far I am not convinced that I need all of them. What do people think?

291608 291609

wheelinround
1st November 2013, 12:48 PM
Its running slow its 1246 ATM :p

Christos thats a nice bit of Silky, grain and colour good finish :2tsup:

Christos
1st November 2013, 03:00 PM
You know this is really weird. The clock is not running and I upload the thread at the similar time to the setting of the hands. :o

A Duke
1st November 2013, 03:43 PM
We know it's not running, there's no battery. (If you hadn't mentioned it I would not have checked)
Nice clock, I think you have the right number of numbers as is.
Regards

TTIT
1st November 2013, 10:54 PM
I had some Silky Oak from a friends tree that was cut down a little while ago. So I thought I would try and make a clock. Actually this is the fourth time that I had attempted to make a clock. I still have the other attempts stored and I know I will get to them eventually :rolleyes: but this one that I am presenting for your comments and suggestions.

It is always good to have a template of the mechanism to ensure that this will sit flat in the recess. I ended using a scraper to remove the rest of the back and towards the edge a slight undercut. I have placed in on the wall to see if that works and yes to my surprise it does.

The numbers are just stuck on and so far I am not convinced that I need all of them. What do people think?

291608 291609Nice and simple :2tsup: I would just put black dots to replace the other numbers. . . . . actually I prefer to use dots all the way around so it doesn't matter which way up you put the clock :U

SNAFU11
2nd November 2013, 03:44 AM
Christos it looks great there mate...a nice piece of silky :2tsup:

Mick!!!

Drillit
2nd November 2013, 09:07 AM
Christos,
Terrific bit of silky. In my case I need all the numbers, ha ha. Drillit.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
2nd November 2013, 10:33 AM
nice work mate

I'd go with TTiT's dots instead of numbers

chuck1
2nd November 2013, 07:47 PM
I like it! I've been toying with idea of dot but timber ones out of contrasting Timber! good way to use up off cuts!

bassmansimon
2nd November 2013, 09:03 PM
Hey Christos,

Great minds think alike. I made a very similar looking clock today - I promise I didn't copy you!!

Will photograph and upload later, but I had the same issue with the numbers. I purchased a set of these (https://www.timberbits.com/set-of-12-arabic-numbers.html) but they didn't stick to the finished timber very well, and in my opinion it didn't suit the clock. So now I have no numbers. I will probably just glue on some dots or lines at 12 and 6.

I would like to add proper contrasting timber plugs, but this will be a job for a future clock, not this one.

Simon.

bowl-basher
2nd November 2013, 10:32 PM
I made one some time ago for my sister and used Claret ash as the dots with larger ones for the primary numbers and slightly smaller ones for the intermediate numbers the timber was desert oak
Regards
Bowl-Basher291868

artme
2nd November 2013, 10:56 PM
Noice!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Got an Ikea clock that needs improving, and several lumps of wood to do the job!!

Christos
3rd November 2013, 07:47 AM
I am thinking dots for the other numbers and keep the numbers for the majors.