PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing for paling fence?

janeb
30th May 2005, 09:42 AM
Hi

First off -- thanks from a newbie for all the valuable advice here.

I am about to take possession of a new house, and one of the first things we need to do is replace the paling fences. No hassle there, but one of the neighbours has complained that the old fence is rotting because the previous owners of our house built up the garden beds near the fence. I'm wondering if there is some type of waterproofing agent or membrane I can apply to the new paling fence to (i) reassure the neighbours that we're doing the right thing and (ii) prolong the life of the new fence.

Thanks for any advice,
Jane

ED T
30th May 2005, 09:57 AM
If you build a treated pine fence (infused with copper arsenate) it will not need much more. If you think soil will build up around the bottom, generously paint this area with creosote oil for some added protection.

Ed T

janeb
30th May 2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Ed T.

Jane :-)

wombat47
31st May 2005, 09:19 AM
Built up garden beds against paling fences will cause the palings to rot. The gaps between the palings also allow for very good (i.e. too good) drainage, making it difficult to maintain soil moisture.

Buy a couple of sheets of metal fencing - cheaper "seconds" if available - and tear into strips the depth of the garden bed plus 10cm or so and dig in against the fenceline so that the top of the strip is just above soil level. It won't be noticable and will keep damp soil off the palings and your water & soil in your garden.

To tear, snip (tin-snips, secateurs, or even old scissors) the edge of the sheet, stand on the sheet and, holding the strip-to-be with pliers near the snip, pull up. It will tear in a straight line quite easily.

julianx
31st May 2005, 11:10 AM
Another more expensive option is to put your posts in then then lay sleepers in front of them to the height you want the garden beds, then put the rails and palings on leaving a 20mm gap between the palings and sleepers.

Dan_574
31st May 2005, 12:19 PM
luckily i dont need paling fences where iam, but if I was ever to do it again I would use colourbond fencing. In my last house we put in new treated pine paling fences and after 4 years they looked crap. The palings twisted and popped nails out and it looked horrible. Colourbond is a lot more expensive but it will outlast the timber and looks 100 %. But back onto the subject even if you use treated pine palings they will rot with a garden bed up against it. if thats the way you want to go, get the fence with the rails on your side and like julian said put sleepers between the posts to keep the dirt off the fence.

Trav
31st May 2005, 12:39 PM
Colourbond is the way to go if you can afford it. Being in Canberra, I know firsthand that houses with colourbond survive fires, houses with timber fences don't!

I don't think it is ever a good idea to have beds hard up against the fence. Any wood, even treated pine, will rot. The moisture will also cause them to warp and look terrible like Dan said.

If you have to pull the old fence out, it will be difficult to get a new one in unless you dig the beds out anyway.

Trav

JDub
31st May 2005, 12:48 PM
Im with Trav on this one.

12 months ago we were weighing up the option re; replacing the fences.

Ended up going with 6ft colourbond and although it was a little more expensive it is well worth it and Im VERY glad I spent the extra money.

I have replaced pailing fence before, having it look great to start with but 12 months down track warps and looks rubbish, treated pine and all.
Get some quotes, you will find that colorbond isnt that much more than pailing anyway IME.

Joel

adrian
31st May 2005, 12:56 PM
I used hardiplank sheets along the base of one of my fences. It works pretty well. It stops surface roots from travelling as well.

janeb
31st May 2005, 02:56 PM
Wow! Thanks to all for the plethora of suggestions. :-)

Jane

JDub
31st May 2005, 03:01 PM
Dont forget that a neighbour should share the cost of replacing any fencing that divides your boundries.

You will find that most (very general) neighbours are happy to pay half of the cost if you are both in agreeance (?sp) of what type of fence you want.

Given that the neighbour mentioned it to you to start with you shouldnt have too many issues in that regard...... I hope.

Joel