PDA

View Full Version : proserpine turnout pics

mkypenturner
5th November 2013, 07:36 PM
hi guys , well another turnout at prossy has come and gone and just wanting to share some pics of proof of it did happen mostly pics of the instant gallery with a few of the tent

mkypenturner
5th November 2013, 07:42 PM
more pics

mkypenturner
5th November 2013, 07:47 PM
yet more pics

smiife
5th November 2013, 08:00 PM
hi mky,
thanks for showing the piccy's
very interesting,looks like some great turned pieces
there:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
5th November 2013, 08:12 PM
That looks like Jim's thumb. :think:

mkypenturner
5th November 2013, 08:18 PM
yep thats right master threader

Pat
5th November 2013, 08:27 PM
Ken's stuff still blows me away!:2tsup:

dai sensei
5th November 2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the photos :2tsup:.

Oh well, next year :rolleyes:

Scott
5th November 2013, 08:32 PM
Cheers, thanks for sharing your pics Troy, much appreciated :2tsup:

mkypenturner
5th November 2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the photos :2tsup:.

Oh well, next year :rolleyes:
really hope so neil , i was really looking forward to catching up and playing and learning the casting stuff first hand

RETIRED
5th November 2013, 09:15 PM
Bummer that I couldn't be there. :kickcan:

mkypenturner
5th November 2013, 09:38 PM
i got told why you missed it , sorry to hear

Mobyturns
5th November 2013, 09:45 PM

Bummer all right, we missed you. Hope all is settling down now.

Mobyturns
5th November 2013, 09:57 PM
To add to Troys Proserpine post,

Some photos taken by David English of Mt Isa. David was interested in trying out his newly learned photo skills to try and capture the action while turning some of my small linear laminated bowls. I reckon he did a great job. (ps I have David's permission to post these images)

brendan stemp
5th November 2013, 10:55 PM

care to share?

mkypenturner
5th November 2013, 10:56 PM
care to share?
prob not

Evanism
6th November 2013, 12:30 AM
Keen to know how 2 of 11 (the orb with peircings) is done.

I'm sure it's a simple trick....but I can't pick it

Mobyturns
6th November 2013, 07:09 AM
yet more pics

Yeah that was me (2nd pic) giving Ken Wraight a few pointers on how to turn and improve his spindles. :p (in my dreams)

It was really good to catch up with Ken again as we only get to meet up maybe twice a year face to face. I truly appreciate his and Helens effort in driving all the way up for the Proserpine Turnout. Sad a few regulars couldn't make it this year but still a great event and lots of good mates from past years and plenty from the Mackay club.

Great weekend all up and a credit to CJ, Ron, Steve, John, Blue, Sherry, Marcus, and all the Prossy crew. :brava

:2tsup: If you've been in the past you have to seriously consider going again as the new managers of Camp Kanga are terrific people doing a fantastic job. Just watch out for the kick in the bottom of the triffle desert parfait glass. :2tsup:

Mobyturns
6th November 2013, 07:19 AM

This is a magnificent technically "near impossible" piece & far from simple. Each "ring" is only 0.75mm thick. Ken has developed many variations of Hans Weisflog's delicate offset turning techniques and has really become a world class master in his own right going off in his own direction. :cool:

There will be many expert turners around the world scratching their heads about how he managed to keep this one intact through the turning process.

wheelinround
6th November 2013, 08:15 AM
Ken's stuff still blows me away!:2tsup:

While you just blow your stuff away :q

DaveTTC
6th November 2013, 08:39 AM
Looks like an Awesome time

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Christos
6th November 2013, 08:34 PM
I like the look of these bowls.

powderpost
6th November 2013, 09:52 PM
Yep, that is my thumb.
Just got home from Proserpine, we spent two days in Townsville catching up with friends from the past. Just realised that even though I tool the camera, I never even took one photo..:rolleyes:. Was another excellent event, a great tribute to Con and his crew. A big undertaking for just a small band of dedicated people.
Jim

Mobyturns
6th November 2013, 10:34 PM
To add to Troys Proserpine post,

Some photos taken by David English of Mt Isa. David was interested in trying out his newly learned photo skills to try and capture the action while turning some of my small linear laminated bowls. I reckon he did a great job. (ps I have David's permission to post these images)

Ah ha! I wondered where it got to .....

coffenup
7th November 2013, 08:51 PM
Yep, that is my thumb.
Just got home from Proserpine, we spent two days in Townsville catching up with friends from the past. Just realised that even though I tool the camera, I never even took one photo..:rolleyes:. Was another excellent event, a great tribute to Con and his crew. A big undertaking for just a small band of dedicated people.
Jim

Jim
next time your thumbs up to get photographed tell it a joke so it will smile for the camera please
regards Michael

Tim Creeper
8th November 2013, 09:35 PM

I'd like to know too. Praps someone can start a new thread about it.:rolleyes:

Scott
8th November 2013, 09:46 PM

It's easy, once it's explained to you, like Ken did with me ;)

Firstly, turn the outside shape (orb) then, at a specified depth turn the rings at a certain depth. Next, with a small, compact router attached at centre height on your tool rest, carve the 4 vertical lengths down the orb. Next, select a contrasting timber, cut to the width of your vertical lengths and glue into the grooves with araldite. Turn the outside to your final dimensions. Lastly, hollow out the inside and all shall be revealed.

Ken called that piece 'improbable' because he didn't think it would work. Just goes to show :)

DaveTTC
8th November 2013, 10:15 PM
Must say I'm new to these turning and woodwork events so keen to learn more about them and maybe get one up and running myself

Dave

The Turning Cowboy