PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying The Challenge

Christos
8th November 2013, 12:07 PM
Here is another practice bowl made from Silky Oak. I sort of lost track of how many pieces are flying out of the lathe. If we were allocated in life a certain amount of incidents in wood turning were wood travels independently I think I must be close to the limit. I could see a hole develop from what I think was bark inclusion. I can dig this out later as a bit of a feature and was happy to leave it. Turned it around and started on the inside as I got closer to the edge a piece flew out. I used casting resin to fill this void as it really look horrible to me.

I wanted this to look like your plastic breakfast bowl. I am not sure that I have been able to show this as I think the lip was a little too big.

292597 292596

Comments are always welcome.

artme
8th November 2013, 12:18 PM
Nowt wrong with that Christos, I'd eat my cereal from it!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Beedeejay
8th November 2013, 02:19 PM
I sense a bit of a trend with small bits fflying out :oo:,

Im not sure if you have or not but try putting some thin CA glue in the cracks/ knots as soon as you see them let it dry and then go at it, might help stop from loosing them

Some nice pieces btw,
cheers Ben

Christos
8th November 2013, 04:48 PM
Yes I have started to use CA. This one was done before my memory was jarred to use CA in the cracks.

elderly
8th November 2013, 10:37 PM
All your practice is beginning to pay dividends Christos that's a nice looking bowl.
Cheers Frank.

Drillit
9th November 2013, 11:10 AM
Christos,
Good one. I think if you started to go thinner on the rim you might run into trouble with the feature hole.
I think best left alone. You have to know when to call a stop, fiddling can be fatal to the piece (from experience).
:2tsup: Drillit.