PDA

View Full Version : High Density Foam??

Jaydub
31st May 2005, 12:19 AM
I have installed some new french doors, but i am now left with a 10cm gap on one side between the frame of the french doors and the brick veneer on the outside (besa blocks). I have heard that you can get this high density foam, which when rendered will look excatly like the surrounding brickwork. Can anyone indicate if this is the right way to go? And if so, where do you get this high density foam from and how do you install it? Cheers

ian
31st May 2005, 12:56 AM
I think normal practice would have been to close-up the gap before the new doors were installed. What is the door frame attached to on the side where there is the 10cm gap?
If removing the doors is not an option, my initial reaction is to stand some 75mm thick Hebel blocks on their ends and glue them to the besser blocks. You probably have to backup the glue with long anchors through the Hebel blocks into the besser brick.
If you go through the CSR site (www.csr.com.au) you can access the Hebel Technical Manual that outlines how you would attach a door to a Hebel block wall and the materials you would use to close the gap. IMO it's not a bad place to start.

Ian

seriph1
31st May 2005, 03:12 PM
man, I hope you mean 10mm! If so, plumber's foam would be "OK" but why not place a beading strip along it and pain it the same colour, or render that?

have fun

Jaydub
31st May 2005, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately the gap was existing and i didnt fancy my brick work skills to close it up. The bricks (besa blocks) are only a veneer, but the door is fixed to the inside timber frame (which I did close the gap on).

The reason for filling the gap is only cosmetic/weatherproofing. Removing the doors is not an option at this stage.

I had a look at the CSR website and Hebel blocks do appear to a solution. Two stockists within 5 minutes from home.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

seriph1
1st June 2005, 12:15 AM
CSR Hebel is a great product.

BTW do you mean the 10CM cavity between the blocks and the internal wall? .... and, are the Bessers 100mm thick, or they the 250mm thick ones?

Jaydub
1st June 2005, 12:44 AM
No the 10CM cavity is between the beser blocks and the outside edge of the french door frame. The Bessers are 100mm thick.

seriph1
1st June 2005, 12:50 AM
I think I get ya (apo0ls for being so bloody vague) .... so when you stand outside you can see the internal stud wall frame? If so, packing it with hebel is a great solution I reckon