PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange / Black Locust (??) Burl

dai sensei
10th November 2013, 06:23 PM
Whilst on my travels (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f125/all-way-around-aus-176921/) I called in to see my brother at Murchinson. He had cut down a tree for firewood about 8 months ago and offered some to me if I wanted it. He described it as yellow timber when cut, straight grained, definitely not a eucalypt but hard. It was a big tree and most of it had been cut into firewood sizes in a big pile. It didn't look anything spectacular but I noticed there was a burl :U, so found a bit more room in the trailer to fit it in :rolleyes:, even though it had a few odd chainsaw marks.

Well I am at 's at the moment and I decided to get the burl out and slice it up to determine what it was. To my delight I found it was Osage Orange :2tsup: (edit - well maybe not, perhaps Black Locust - see below posts). I managed to get 2 bowl blanks, 1 long (75x75x350 in left hand top corner of photo) one short pepper grinder blanks, enough large pieces for 4 cast std pepper grinder blanks, a few handle & bottle stopper blanks, quite a few pen blanks and some more part pen blanks for casting.

I also got a slice from the large bowl blank when I levelled the base, this photo shows the true colour best.

I immediately rang my brother to ensure he hadn't burnt it during the current cold snap and was relieved to hear he hadn't. He said the biggest length amongst the pile was probably only a metre, but I am seriously considering emptying the trailer and getting a lot more, although would need to sell it as I can't store it here nor take it with me.

It has been raining a fair bit over the last few days, so decided to fire up one of 's lathes to rough out the bowl blanks.

The bigger bowl is just under 300mm dia, so I can finish them both on my little travelling Woodfast. I will need to wait a while for them to dry a bit more before finishing them, maybe by the time I get to WA :U.

I also found an old broken chisel handle in 's bin that was ringed Gidgee :doh:. I already have heaps of pen blanks, so decided to made a thumper stick, for when I catch one of the huge fish on my travels :;. The fiddle was amazing.

Cheers

Grommett
10th November 2013, 06:48 PM
Thumper?

​It's a priest Neil. It administers the last rites. AKA Captian Snooze. Godd pickup.

smiife
10th November 2013, 07:06 PM
good find there neil
safe travels
cheers smiife:2tsup:

tdrumnut
10th November 2013, 07:07 PM
Luverly bit-a-wood there mate and some thrifty milling to boot.

DSEL74
10th November 2013, 07:42 PM
I thought it was a Bed Snake Bat!

gmoss
11th November 2013, 09:01 AM
Whilst on my travels (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f125/all-way-around-aus-176921/) I called in to see my brother at Murchinson. He had cut down a tree for firewood about 8 months ago and offered some to me if I wanted it. He described it as yellow timber when cut, straight grained, definitely not a eucalypt but hard. It was a big tree and most of it had been cut into firewood sizes in a big pile. It didn't look anything spectacular but I noticed there was a burl, so found a bit more room in the trailer to fit it in.

At 's I decided to get the burl out and slice it up to determine what it was. To my delight I found it was Osage Orange.
I immediately rang my brother to ensure he hadn't burnt it during the current cold snap and was relieved to hear he hadn't. He said the biggest length amongst the pile was probably only a metre, but I am seriously considering emptying the trailer and getting a lot more, although would need to sell it as I can't store it here nor take it with me.

You are no doubt aware that Osage Orange is probably the best timber for making bows. Pity the cut tree does not include longer lengths so you would sell it for a small fortune as it is reasonably rare in Australia. We have an Osage Orange tree here at an old homestead site near Hall with the local bow makers occasionally cut of limbs.

Graham

tea lady
11th November 2013, 09:29 AM
How did I miss snaffling that ringed Gidgee handle? :doh: I have rescued that several times when tried to throw it out. :rolleyes: Glad it did nat remain in the bin this time either. :U

Christos
11th November 2013, 09:37 AM
Great update on the find and that includes the one from 's bin. This begs the question if is throwing out (rubbish wood) Gidgee what type of highly prized wood is he keeping?

tea lady
11th November 2013, 11:33 AM
Great update on the find and that includes the one from 's bin. This begs the question if is throwing out (rubbish wood) Gidgee what type of highly prized wood is he keeping?That bit was to small for his lathe. :D
(from memory also I think it is cross grained. Came as a handle on a bowl gouge, which "tapped" and broke off. So don't do the last rites on anything to hard with that priest. :S )

dai sensei
11th November 2013, 06:48 PM
You are no doubt aware that Osage Orange is probably the best timber for making bows. Pity the cut tree does not include longer lengths so you would sell it for a small fortune as it is reasonably rare in Australia. We have an Osage Orange tree here at an old homestead site near Hall with the local bow makers occasionally cut of limbs.

Graham

Yes Graham I was aware. I was advised here on the forums when I scored 6 logs of it I ages ago half way between Canberra and Sydney. They were 1.5-2m long & ~300-400 dia, but they were badly cracked, as they had been out in a paddock cut for ~20 years. I sliced them up into 50mm slabs to make rocking chairs out of. I often get bow makers begging me to part with some of the better slabs.

That bit was to small for his lathe. :D
(from memory also I think it is cross grained. Came as a handle on a bowl gouge, which "tapped" and broke off. So don't do the last rites on anything to hard with that priest. :S )

Yep, that's the one :wink:

issatree
11th November 2013, 07:57 PM
Hi Neil & Others,
I have Looked & Looked at that Burl, & I'm hoping that it is the Photo, that has spoiled the colour.
I've been turning O/O today & mine is Very Very Yellow, nothing as pale as you 2 pieces are.
The 3rd. Photo certainly has the colour, but maybe that is what a O/O Burl looks like.

O/O will go very dark after a few years in the Daylight. I have a Acorn Sewing Tidy done back in the early Nineties, & it is quite dark now.

I keep my Shavings for the Ladies who Dye Wool.
Some will know that Older Our Army Uniforms are the result of the O/O Shavings, as it comes out Khaki ??.
Still, a great job on both of those pieces.

dai sensei
11th November 2013, 11:05 PM
I have Looked & Looked at that Burl, & I'm hoping that it is the Photo, that has spoiled the colour.
I've been turning O/O today & mine is Very Very Yellow, nothing as pale as you 2 pieces are.
The 3rd. Photo certainly has the colour, but maybe that is what a O/O Burl looks like....

Nah it is the photos. Not the yellowist OO have seen, but the third photo is the best colour match to the real colour of this burl.

robo hippy
12th November 2013, 07:02 AM
Osage is a wonderful wood. If I had to guess from the pictures, I would have guessed black locust. It is a more yellow/green color. Osage, is also known as hedge apple, or hedge trees, and another variation comes from French bo d arc or hill billy bo dark meaning bow wood. I guess the biggest difference would be in the fruit. Osage has a baseball to softball sized fruit that looks like a green brain, all wrinkly. The Black Locust has seed pods almost like peas, though the seeds are a lot smaller. Both are hard and rot resistant. Both oxidize out to a nice dark amber color. Good wood score.

robo hippy

bench1holio
12th November 2013, 08:39 AM
I would of said black locust burl too....especially with that black line around the white wood. maybe just the photo.

dai sensei
12th November 2013, 07:07 PM
Hmm Black Locust, can't say I know the timber, but looking at Google images it could well be. is also thinking you could be right. There is a distinctive black line between the heartwood and the whitish sapwood, plus yes it is a greeny yellow timber not the bright yellow I am used to for OO.

Assuming you guys are on the money, is it worth going back for more of the straight grained trunk/branch pieces to flog off?

issatree
13th November 2013, 01:49 AM
Hi again,
I think I'm right, but Black Locust is also known as False Acacia.
Well, that is what I was told, & a very nice timber it is.

bench1holio
13th November 2013, 07:54 AM
Neil, I've never bothered with the straight grain stuff, but the burl and figured pieces come up a treat.

robo hippy
16th November 2013, 08:30 AM
Black Locust (Robinia psuedoacacia). It is good wood. Makes excellent tool handles. I bit rigid/hard for salad bowls, and sells in fits: some times I can't give it away, and some times I can't keep any of it on the shelf. The greenish color doesn't always sell well, but when oxidized/ambered from sun and oxygen exposure, the color is great. It burns very well also, but seems to take about 2 years to dry out enough to burn properly.

robo hippy

Paul39
21st November 2013, 02:04 PM
Here are some some locust pieces from North Carolina, USA timber.

The first is from straight grained , second from a stump that had been weathering for years, and third from straight grained. The local locust is just a bit less dense than hickory.

As Robo Hippy says it is wonderful burning wood. I like it for turning tool handles as the weight helps to reduce vibration.