PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

nagled
11th November 2013, 08:58 PM
I've been bitten hard by the wordworking bug, and it's sunk under my skin and worked its way into my brain. About 6 months ago I decided to make doors to fill an empty space in our kitchen where I presume a wall oven used to exist. Not knowing what a biscuit join was, and not not being able to afford nice material, I bought an Ozito router for 60 bucks and cut tongue and grove into cypress pine fence pailings from bunnings (which were green as grass and have since shrunk by at least 10%, but never mind that.... its a project begging for a re-work). As it turned out it was the beginning of the end for me!

Since then I've made a toilet roll stack holder, a set of shelves, partially rebuilt a kitchen cabinet, made an end-grain cutting board (hot tip: don't use recycled wood... to many cracks), made 2 sliding mitre sleds (yet to make a square one), restored our kitchen dining table, made a gun rack (my first commission job!), made a marking gauge, made two bongo cajons (thanks Steve Ramsey). And bought... eww... just a jet table saw, triton 2400 hpw router, countless different powered sanders, a drill press, more bits and pieces and gadgets you can point a stick at...

so yeah, im geared up and have just enough knowledge to be dangerous! a complete youtube weekend warrior, i have been given a list of jobs by a suprising supportive wife who is looking forward to new furniture. Next up: a tv cabinet.

nice to meet you all, I've been lurking about reading for a quite a while but not much of a poster. Armed with some Glendfiddich I shall make a couple of posts tonight, however.

coffenup
11th November 2013, 10:17 PM
welcome to the forum
lots of info here and a huge amount of ideas
regards Michael

tdrumnut
11th November 2013, 11:00 PM
Gidday Nagled welcome aboard, may your journey with us be a pleasant one.

crowie
12th November 2013, 07:14 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "nagled".
There are a huge number of members in Australia and across the world.
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers crowie

JJF
12th November 2013, 07:16 AM
welcome aboard

old1955
12th November 2013, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the forum.

nagled
12th November 2013, 08:23 PM
thanks guys!

Evanism
13th November 2013, 01:37 AM
You are doomed! :)

Christos
15th November 2013, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I would like to say that you have embarked on an exciting journey but the reality is you have embarked on a very exciting journey.