PDA

View Full Version : Any Avan people out there?

BobL
12th November 2013, 09:31 PM
We go camping for one or two weeks once or twice a year and have used tents and rented camper vans and various caravans in the past. I go under sufferance and if it was up to me I would not go anywhere, but now that I've retired SWMBO wants us to get out and about a bit more. Usually we go to one place and stay in the one spot but we'd like to be more mobile so she wanted a caravan but due to financial constrains and the fact that we only have a Forester to tow with at the moment we've settled on a used Avan which we put a deposit on this morning. We thought we'd try this for a couple of years and see how we go and if I can stand it we may upgrade the vehicle and then go for something a bit bigger.

Does anyone have one, or have had one, and what should we watch for?

RETIRED
13th November 2013, 06:37 PM
Here might be a start Bob. A'van Caravans Reviews for Australians (http://www.productreview.com.au/c/caravans/m/a-van.html)

BobL
13th November 2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks - I have read a few web reviews and we also know someone who had one for a while but they were not what I considered handy at fixing anything. The one we are getting seem very well looked after, nothing broken and nothing missing and all additions have been done properly.

code4pay
13th November 2013, 07:56 PM
We Had one very good to tow. We bought it new and had to take it back a few times because of final fit out quality issues. The floor near the door had to be strengthened as it flexed considerably under foot. You might think that would have put us off, but the design was great and I would consider one again. We sold it when we went O.S. Came back and purchased an old Viscount pretty happy with it but If I was doing a long trip I'd rather the Avan.

BobL
13th November 2013, 08:48 PM
We Had one very good to tow. We bought it new and had to take it back a few times because of final fit out quality issues. The floor near the door had to be strengthened as it flexed considerably under foot. You might think that would have put us off, but the design was great and I would consider one again. We sold it when we went O.S. Came back and purchased an old Viscount pretty happy with it but If I was doing a long trip I'd rather the Avan.

Thanks C4P. I just picked it up. Towing it with the HIACE diesel van was very easy but I think we will be towing it mainly with the Forester diesel. I've towed full size vans before but with a much bigger vehicle so I was hoping the AVan would not hit the Forester fuel economy too much. This one is 5 years old but is in good nick. The former owner stored it under cover and has the full service history. He's added a few extra things like air con and more power points and had these all done properly etc.

SWMBO will probably end up using it a fair bit to stay at the riding school instead of driving back and forth all the time.