PDA

View Full Version : table saw or mitre saw

Beaton
31st May 2005, 01:48 PM
I’m in the process of designing and fitting out a workshop, the question is for those that have a table saw and a mitre saw, is it worth having both or do you find the mitre saw sits in the corner collecting dust. Also ill be buying a thicknesser mainly be used for jarrah can anyone suggest one that will do the job id rather save and pay for something that is going o do the job for years.

Jack E
31st May 2005, 01:53 PM
Most things you can do on a mitre saw you can do on a table saw, but you can't do most things you can do on a table saw on a mitre saw.
If you can, get both. If not, get a table saw first.
The other option is to get a table saw and then determine whether you will need a mitre saw, ie if there is a job you cannot finish without one.

Of course, you will always want one if you don't get one now :) :)

Jack

E. maculata
31st May 2005, 01:57 PM
G'day Beaton, I'll go along with what Jack said, is the most logical approach.

Beaton
31st May 2005, 02:02 PM
what table saw and thicknesser do u guys own, and what large machinery do you own. One more question what size is your shed, I spose you lay the shed out around your tabe saw being the largest

NewLou
31st May 2005, 02:05 PM
Gidday:)

Yup if you got the coin i'd go the tablesaw 1st without a doubt!!!! Its the most versatile large shop purchase you can buy...................if theres one machine to have the tablesaw is it!!

Regards Lou

B.J.Honeycut
31st May 2005, 02:48 PM
what table saw and thicknesser do u guys own, and what large machinery do you own. One more question what size is your shed, I spose you lay the shed out around your tabe saw being the largest I recently went through the same decision process. In the end I opted for a table saw and haven't regreted it once. It really is a very versatile piece of equipment and with a mitre and crosscut sled can do pretty much all I need it for.

I bought the TSC-10HB from carbatec (http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/_headerwin?id=1144.00). Really good value for money and bought on the recomendation of a number of guys on this forum.

You will need a fair amount of space in both directions depending on if you are ripping or cross cutting. You can put them on a mobile base, which may be handy if space is an issue.

E. maculata
31st May 2005, 02:52 PM
what table saw and thicknesser do u guys own, and what large machinery do you own. One more question what size is your shed, I spose you lay the shed out around your tabe saw being the largest

Ours are just sorted out generic tiawianese 12" t/saw with 50-odd inch fence rails and router table inserted on the right side, generic 12.5' carbatec thicknesser, Emerson/Rigid branded 12" mitre saw, old cast makita mitre saw (about to be sold methinks, due to a lack of interest) and old 3' bed metal lathe, scroll saw, drill press, chainsaw shelves, welders, compressor, lockable cabinet for all the portable powertools, heaps of benches around the walls and one in the middlish area, really just all the usual stuff. Our workshop is actually set up around the benches as thats where most of my time is put into, the machinery is postioned in sorta little workstation areas. Our shed is just the large double garages under the house, does for now. Mind you my car never gets in these days unless the sky is green.

Barry_White
31st May 2005, 05:03 PM
I have a Triton Table Saw and it does pretty well everything that I want it to do except for bevel cuts, but can do them with the Triton Bevel guide.

I also have a Ryobi SCMS and I use it just as much as the tablesaw and could not live without it. I also have an old cast iron Makita mitre saw which I use to cut aluminium.

The mitre saw is ideal for breaking down long lengths of timber as well as doing a lot of repetative cutting such as making components for drawers and consider that the mitre saw is just as important as the table saw in the workshop.

Try cutting a 5.4m length of timber in half on the table saw and see what happens. Try building a house with just a table saw and see how you go.

You can always go for the hand tools but that is only for the darkside woodworkers these days.

So my advise is buy both and you will never regret it.

Gumby
31st May 2005, 05:25 PM
I pretty much agree with everybody. I have a 12" Leda table saw and a cheap GMC mitre saw. The mitre saw was very handy cutting mitres on 5m lenghts of skirting boards etc. It just sits on the bench and I do a lot of the initial cutting on it, then move over to the table saw for the final cutting to accurate length on a crosscut sled or whatever I need for the job. The mitre saw, although cheap cuts quite well and is a very convenient tool. i didn't have one for some time but am certainly glad I bought it. I may look at getting a finer blade though, because it's pretty aggressive with the standard blade. And if you buy one, don't get carried away with the GMC laser beam stuff. It's not worth the effort. You can hardly see the bloody thing anyway and it isn't all that accurate. it's handy but that's about it.

Beaton
31st May 2005, 05:48 PM
How do you find the gmc Gumby, my mate has a ryobi and he dosn't get a straight cut, might just be s dud. Should i spend the extra and get the sherwood 81/4 for $250.

Gumby
31st May 2005, 05:52 PM
I find it Ok and very close to being accurate but then again, I haven't really got too serious about setting it exactly. Since it's adjustable, i'm assuming i could do it but that's not really what I expect from it. For under $100 I can't fault it. Why not buy one and try it out. The have a 30 day satisfaction money back guarantee so you could see how it goes and if you don't like it, upgrade then.

Beaton
31st May 2005, 06:10 PM
What and howoften do you guys use a jointer?

Ashore
31st May 2005, 06:16 PM
Gotta go with Barry on this one
With a Triton to start you can do just about anything
As for the mitre saw pay the pennies and when you do, get a good compound sliding mitre saw. I went with a makita LS 1013 its quick and easy to change blades and light enough to be portable. I still have the triton but my next purchase will be a table saw.

As to your other question on shed layout there are numerous books with ergonomic layouts work flow etc..., my shed evolved as I got more good stuff, as I am about to change sheds I went to the trouble of building a scale model so I can get this one better laid out .
A good tip is to get all your work surfaces the same height, benches , saw table etc... Apart from that look at the safety aspest and give each m/c enough room to work safely in.

But the final result is to suit what you do , if you don't use a bandsaw much it dosen't need as much work area , if your making bandsaw boxes or use it every day then its working space becomes a prioraty.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9264&stc=1

A picture is worth a thousand words, and so it should be it uses up a thousand times the memory.

Beaton
31st May 2005, 06:23 PM
That is very flash mate and a great idea, the size of the shed i'm thinking of building is 7x7 think that is a fair size i could goalittle bigger if i need, any ideas would be great.

Gumby
31st May 2005, 06:24 PM
What and howoften do you guys use a jointer?

Often. :D

You can't really get timber flat and square without a jointer and a thicknesser. There are ways if you onlky have a thicknesser but the ideal is to get both or at least a combination machine. Much to the disgust of some in here, you'll find lots of info on this subject if you search these forums. try ML 392 for beginners. that will give you lots of info on a lower end combo which sells for around $900. If you look at the coffee table i just made in the pics section, you'll see that it was done from recycled carport beams and floor boards. Without my ML 392 it just would not have come out that well. It's all flat and perfectly square.

I think the workshop essentials are:
Table saw, Jointer, thicknesser (either separate machines or one combo depending on space and cost), Band saw and good dust extraction. From that point you can add things as needed, and belive me, you WILL add things. :D

Ashore
31st May 2005, 06:54 PM
the size of the shed i'm thinking of building is 7x7 think that is a fair size i could goalittle bigger if i need, any ideas would be great.
I started with a 6 x7 meter double garage
Built a second one for the car and bike
Now the cars outside as the second ones all storage wood other gear I don't want effected by dust etc
looking at one with a loft next

No matter how big it ain't ever big enough, tools multiply inversely to the space you have.
My advice stay 7x7 and with the money you save buy better tools that will last a lifetime, and you'll be happy with, rather than tools that just-do

. He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.

Jack E
31st May 2005, 07:10 PM
I just put my new Sherwood 6" long bed jointer together today. Instructions were as usual useless but it is together none the less. Works a treat and in conjunction with a thicknesser will be able to produce DAR timber.
I don't have a thicknesser as yet but use Mr Snrubs 13" GMC and it is great. I am waiting for one to be on special somewhere!
I also bought a TSC10HB which I have not assembled yet but helped Mr Snrub with his yesterday, a great bit of kit. I am currently using a TSC10LB which will be for sale soon if anybody is intersted, although it is in Townsville.
You will need (at least want) a DC to operate in conjunction with these and luckily I bought a 2hp one of those aswell (tonights project as SWMBO is working till 10 o'clock).

I guess I am trying to say definately get a table saw, try to push to a jointer and thicknesser (or a combo if that floats your boat), and think seriously about a 2hp DC.

Barry White is right about cross cutting long boards on a table saw, to do this safely you will need a CMS / SCMS. I have the new Makita LS1214 which can crosscut to 305mm but if you are just cutting framing or other timber of smaller capacity get the $100 GMC. Or you could get a mitre box and use a hand saw :) :)

Good luck,

Jack.

BTW, I don't have a shed but am taking over the bottom of the house which was supposed to become the media room (it is quite a large room), the sacrifices we make :D :D :D

Kiwibrucee
31st May 2005, 07:13 PM
That is very flash mate and a great idea, the size of the shed i'm thinking of building is 7x7 think that is a fair size i could goalittle bigger if i need, any ideas would be great.
I think that no matter how big you go you will always want a bigger shed, Especially if you store Timber in your workshop as well, then again I guess not everyone hoards as much junk as I do.:D
I currently have a 6 x 9m shed and a fair bit of wall space is taken up with timber and sheet goods, so if you have the room my advise would be to go a bit bigger now while you have the oppotunity.

Bruce T.

Beaton
31st May 2005, 08:22 PM
How does the combo compare to the 2 single machines, do you have to change any settings or does it simply change over. And doesitdo the same job.

Gumby
31st May 2005, 08:31 PM
the combos do both jobs but there is the inconvenience of changing modes. I find however that you use the jointer mode and then thicknesser mode , rarely needing to change back again for any given job. . It's not a big drama anyway. It can be done in a couple of minutes. The advanatage is that they save space and are cheaper. I couldn't justify the expense of two separate machines. With the ML 392 you get 250mm cutting width in both modes, which is ample for most home jobs.