PDA

View Full Version : Stripping paint from brickwork

Programmer
31st May 2005, 06:36 PM
I've seen similar questions in this forum before but wanted to ask if anyone has had any new experience with stripping paint from bricks. That is:

Is there a new product/service etc you've seen/used?
Are there an masonary specific strippers in Oz? Overseas?

Cheers,

johnc
1st June 2005, 12:29 AM
I don't see any reason why a hot air gun or normal paint stripper wouldn't work, but am not aware of anything new to rid bricks of paint. Should be a real PITA to get it out or mortar lines and hollows in the bricks.

mic-d
1st June 2005, 09:26 AM
I have used the "peelaway" product to remove paint from bricks and it does a fantastic job. http://www.peelaway.com.au/peelmain.htm

Cheers
Michael

Programmer
1st June 2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks mic-d. I checked out the website. Where did you get it from? It seems the closest to me is Warrugul!! And that's a nice Sunday drive! Anything closer in the South-East? It's also expensive, but if it works, then well worth the time it saves.

Cheers

maglite
2nd June 2005, 01:39 AM
I used a HQ ute once and it did the job.

Quick, painless and minimal paint residue......a lot of brick residue, but you cant have everything!!!

mic-d
2nd June 2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks mic-d. I checked out the website. Where did you get it from? It seems the closest to me is Warrugul!! And that's a nice Sunday drive! Anything closer in the South-East? It's also expensive, but if it works, then well worth the time it saves.

Cheers
Many paint shops have it, but best give peelaway a ring, they may be able to deliver or know a distributor.

Cheers
Michael

seriph1
2nd June 2005, 07:59 PM
could you elaborate on the application? I am intrigued

:D

mic-d
2nd June 2005, 08:51 PM

:D
The stripper is applied by brush etc and the backing paper is then pressed onto the wall. Then all that is required is patience (up to 24 hours) and the paper is peeled off with hopefully all the paint attached. Perhaps a reapplication in particularly stubborn areas will be necessary.

Cheers
Michael

seriph1
2nd June 2005, 10:37 PM
sorry mate ... but thanks for the explanation :D

I was meaning: what the original poster's application ie: house style/period - internal/external brick and so forth

Harry72
3rd June 2005, 02:17 AM
In my house one of the walls I striped off the paint with a benzomatic plumbers gas burner and a wire brush(resipirator is a must), the paint on the motar stipped off the easiest didnt take long to do the whole wall, I repointed the mortar ready to plaster the wall(was originaly an external wall been built around now)only to end up drywalling it.

Woodlice
7th June 2005, 04:10 PM
If the bricks are on the outside and you dont mind a small mess, the easiest way I have found (easier than resorting to chemicals, heat or a scraper) is to use steam at high pressure.

Programmer
8th June 2005, 09:22 AM
seriph1, I'm trying to remove paint from four pillars out front. It's personal preference maybe, but I cannot see why people have to paint every b%^^dy brick they find. There are at least four coats. I am currently using a mixture of heat gun, chemical stripper, wire brush etc etc. It's happening, but it's VERY slow.

seriph1
8th June 2005, 09:59 AM
I agree that it is weird that everything must be painted these days - we seem to go in cycles

have you heard of MODOSTRIP? it is around 10 times stronger than selleys and in my expereince its very good. it is available direct from the importers in Coburg if youre interested .... oh, and the last time I bought it, a 4 litre container was around the same price as the 1 litre Selleys. I was thinking for your particular application of the following - spread a bunch of it on a small area of brickwork then wrap it in packaging plastic (or heavy clingwrap) - leave it for an hour or so then see how it worked - if successful go to town on it big time.

Anyway, Modostrip is imported by MODOSTUC products in Coburg (just behind Bunnings in Sussex STreet) - the owner, a great guy is Mario Fiorentino. Mario knows just about everything there is to know about the stuff as well as being an expert in painted finishes

have fun - and let me know what age your home is and post a pic if you can.

Programmer
17th June 2005, 02:08 AM
Hey thanks. Sorry for the SLOW response. I've been busy with other jobs (including what I'm really 'supposed' to be doing... ssshhh). I'm yet to get back to the bricks and might just give that a try. If it cuts the time even by 30% I'll be around to give you a big sloppy one! Failing that, some post credits.

I'll post some picks when done. But don't hold your breath...