PDA

View Full Version : Key-way bar

maņana
17th November 2013, 09:35 AM
Hi, could anyone tell me if the bar that metal turners use to make the keys used on shafts would be suitable for use as woodturning tools such as scrapers or parting tools etc. I held a piece on the grinder for a fair time and it didn't burn or blue - it is pretty hard steel. Excuse my ignorance - but - to me, steel is steel.
Mick C

BobL
17th November 2013, 10:37 AM
Keyway stock is usually made from steel about the same hardness as the shafts the keyway is used in. I doubt it will be as hard or as tough as HSS which is what is normal used for turning. BUT you have nothing to lose, grind up an edge and try it out.

Paul39
17th November 2013, 12:33 PM
I agree with BobL. Anything free or cheap, that is easy to sharpen works pretty well. Also, you could buy carbon or high sped steel blanks at an engineers supply.

I have made a thin cut off tool from a bread knife. The knife was V shaped so I dulled the sharp edge and ground the tip with about an 80 degree relief and had a go. It worked fine and is easy to sharpen when dull.

See post # 13 here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/wood-turning-tools-178702/

TTIT
17th November 2013, 10:29 PM
Key steel is not hard enough to use as a cutting tool - it's only one or two steps above mild steel :shrug: I used a length of 20mm square key steel for the shaft of my boring bar bacause it was a little harder but still machineable on a small lathe and could be drilled and tapped easily.

powderpost
17th November 2013, 10:36 PM
I have silver soldered pieces of machine hacksaw blade to key steel to make tools for wood turning.
Jim

maņana
18th November 2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for their input - it is the reason that I, and all the other Forumites, Post queries - to draw on the knowledge and expertise of people with different skills to our own. I now know not to proceed with making actual cutting tools out of the key-bar.
Thanks to all
Mick C