PDA

View Full Version : What is this for?

Vernonv
19th November 2013, 04:20 PM
I have what looks like a broken bolt in the side of my tool post. So I went looking for what it might be. Here is a pic of a similar lathe. Can anyone identify what that is and what it does?

scottyd
19th November 2013, 04:47 PM
Its there to help you index the tool block. Its a bit of a ghetto way of doing it, the hercus 260's have a little spring loaded pin underneath it for a similar purpose.

Vernonv
19th November 2013, 05:05 PM
Really? Seems a little pointless. I would only have my tool post sitting square maybe 50% of the time.

Oldneweng
19th November 2013, 05:46 PM
I would say it is more a matter of setting the toolpost square for boring, threading etc.

My Nuttall has a hole there threaded in 5/16 Whit.

I noticed you have a stud & nut at the tailstock end of the saddle. Mine has a saddle locking lever here. I guess yours has gone missing or broken at some time.

Dean

scottyd
19th November 2013, 07:11 PM
I would say it is more a matter of setting the toolpost square for boring, threading etc.

I find it pretty handy for boring and quickly setting the post of parallel turning or facing. Threading not so much because the compound slide is usually set to 60º. Ive contemplated taking my hercus' block and drilling more indexes at 30 degree increments to make threading a quick set job too...but its a loooong way down on the to do list.

Vernonv
20th November 2013, 06:59 AM
I noticed you have a stud & nut at the tailstock end of the saddle. Mine has a saddle locking lever here. I guess yours has gone missing or broken at some time.You mean the carriage lock? Remember that photo is not of mine ... I only used it to show what was missing from mine. My Nuttall simple has a bolt head there and I use a spanner to lock or unlock it.

Oldneweng
20th November 2013, 10:58 PM
You mean the carriage lock? Remember that photo is not of mine ... I only used it to show what was missing from mine.

I had forgotten that point Vernon. Mine still has the original lever just like the one on this lathe.

Dean