PDA

View Full Version : more balusters

chuck1
20th November 2013, 10:01 PM
this lot took me 5 hrs from job sheet to this stage! timber is meranti, thanks for looking :)

Colin62
20th November 2013, 10:09 PM
That's good going :)

SNAFU11
21st November 2013, 04:48 AM
Great job mate..i bet you dream about ballisters:U..5 hrs from job sheet,in 5 hrs i would still be looking at the job sheet LOL....

Mick!!!

Pat
21st November 2013, 04:53 AM
Great job mate..i bet you dream about ballisters:U..5 hrs from job sheet,in 5 hrs i would still be looking at the job sheet LOL....

Mick!!!

Mick, I think that is the difference between those of us that play at turning and those that have to make money out of it.:U

Chuck, what dimensions are the balusters?

chuck1
21st November 2013, 05:52 AM
thanks! the boss doesn't like us standing around chatting! but I don't mind doing that!
these bal's are 42 by 42 and 900 long, the turning is 480 long. had the lathe spinning at 1800 rpm ended up turning 23 and a half had a nice dig in one and it knocked it off Centre and is now firewood!

Christos
21st November 2013, 10:45 AM
How is it to turn. I had one piece that I tried on a bowl and a couple of handles not very good results for me.

chuck1
21st November 2013, 05:51 PM
christos I use freshly sharpened skew and gouges all honed razor sharp, lathe on highest rpm usually 1800 rpm and a two wheel steady for speed and ease!
it's an ok timber to turn, first year at Tafe that's all we turned. not a good Timber to use scrapers on it can go fluffy I find! but it cuts alright! I like to use it for friction chucking as the sacrificial bit, if I make it a smidge loose I can pour a bit of water on it and it will tighten the hold!

chuck1
21st November 2013, 06:06 PM

Mick!!!

there is some procrastination with the job sheets and time wasted due details missing! today I was told to glue timber up for post ( blackbutt) we have two types standard and select grade! made it out of standard and machined it up then leading hand pops over and informs me it needs to be select! so back to timber rack and start again!

Christos
21st November 2013, 07:19 PM
Now I know my tools are not that sharp.

chuck1
21st November 2013, 08:53 PM
the only tools I use off the grinder is a couple of parting tools, but I tend to give them a hone on the odd occasion, cutting the Timber normally gives athe best finish.
I would like to get into demonstrating/teaching one day