PDA

View Full Version : Screw size for boat?

dieselcj
1st June 2005, 05:49 AM
Howdy,
I am putting together seats for my 1969 13' Whaler.

The benches and console are being constructed with 1" thick planks of Ipe fastened together with small wooden pieces parallel to them.

I am debating what size stainless steel screws to use. I will pre-drill, then sand and coat all pieces with Sikkens Cetol Marine before screwing them together.

I was thinking 1 3/4" #8 SS screws would be nice for the application, what do you think?

Also, what size pilot do you suggest? I searched around various websites and it varies from 1/8" ro 3/32nds.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/1009846/1117428813285_Air_show_and_whaler_wood_026.jpg

Thanks,
John

Daddles
2nd June 2005, 01:14 AM
G'day John,

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the problem. Just use what's available and appropriate ie, not too long, not too short (just makes it to the other side) and as for pilot holes, I always go for whatever drill allows me to dig the screw in without breaking the screw and without stripping the hole. Usually, that's a drill about the same size as the unthreaded part of the screw (just compare them by eye). Methinks I'm missing something but I can't see what. :confused:

Cheers
Richard

Daddles
2nd June 2005, 01:20 AM
BTW John. We want . Boat . We want piccys of da boat. Lots of piccys. Nice piccys. As long as there are shavings on the floor of the shop (it's okay, you can use designer shavings, I do, even if Midge doesn't)

Cheers
Richard