PDA

View Full Version : Burl Clock

bowl-basher
23rd November 2013, 01:38 PM
Hi All
I don't get the chance to do much these days so jumped at the chance to try out the Mens Shed new Cougar 350VS
This slice of Mallee burl is 480 x 420 and was found at the WWW show in Sydney earlier this year
I have kept the turning to a minimum to let the grain and a loverly bit of spalting speak for them selfs
The finish is currently 5 coats of F/watson scandinavian oil ( not sure if I am happy with this I may take it apart,sand back and give it a few coats of satin WOP)
Look forward to your comments
Regards
Bowl Basher294461294462294463

coffenup
23rd November 2013, 08:03 PM
two words
LOVE IT
regards Michael

Ad de Crom
23rd November 2013, 08:32 PM
Beautiful Graham, with real numbers instead of round dots.
My grandson would say, look Grandpa, that's not a fake clock as you have made​​.
I then had a table clock made for my daughter with round dots instead of a clock with real numbers.
This clock deserves a place on the wall in the house, I think it's very beautiful.
Ad :2tsup:

SNAFU11
24th November 2013, 04:55 AM
Nice job there Basher,nice piece of burl mate:2tsup:

Mick!!!

TTIT
24th November 2013, 10:33 PM
Nice looking clock Basher :U Looks like it might want a heavy-duty hook to hang on though!!!

...............The finish is currently 5 coats of F/watson scandinavian oil ( not sure if I am happy with this I may take it apart,sand back and give it a few coats of satin WOP)
Look forward to your comments
Regards
Bowl Basher
I reckon 5 coats of FW Scandinavian will look much the same as a couple of coats of WOP if the oil isn't buffed off soon enough! I used that stuff for about 10 years until I got sick of the poly in the Scandinavian not buffing off properly so that you have some glossy patches and some not so :~. Now I'm using Kunos there's no going back :no::U

bowl-basher
25th November 2013, 11:25 AM
Nice looking clock Basher :U Looks like it might want a heavy-duty hook to hang on though!!!

I reckon 5 coats of FW Scandinavian will look much the same as a couple of coats of WOP if the oil isn't buffed off soon enough! I used that stuff for about 10 years until I got sick of the poly in the Scandinavian not buffing off properly so that you have some glossy patches and some not so :~. Now I'm using Kunos there's no going back :no::U

I would really
have liked to give it 3-4 spray coats of precaterlised 30% gloss lacquer but beggars can't be choses:(:(:(:(

smiife
25th November 2013, 07:58 PM
hi BB,
love the RM burls,i think you have done a great job
am not a fan of shiny on burls,just think satin looks better
that's just my personal preference,
clock looks great ,well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup: