PDA

View Full Version : Need someone in Western Sydney to turn me some Shaker drawer knobs

waveink
23rd November 2013, 04:58 PM
Hi folks,

I am building a cabinet/chest of drawers and need someone to turn me 8 drawer handles/knobs in the following design:

I have the timber (coachwood) and would like them with a stub/tenon on the back for insertion into a pre-drilled hole. I am, of course willing to pay in money or timber. Please contact me if you're interested and we can discuss further details.

pete

RETIRED
23rd November 2013, 06:45 PM
If no one can do them for you in Sydney, I will be in Sydney after next weekend and will do them for you. Where in Sydney are you?

chuck1
23rd November 2013, 09:39 PM
Damn I'm to far away down in the shoalhaven!

waveink
23rd November 2013, 11:04 PM
Not sure yet but will let you know.

Hey , that sounds great. Tea Lady has also generously offered, but if I can save the time for postage back and forth that would be great. I am in Parramatta, but am pretty mobile. Where in Sydney will you be ending up?

pete

If no one can do them for you in Sydney, I will be in Sydney after next weekend and will do them for you. Where in Sydney are you?

waveink
25th November 2013, 11:04 AM
Hey ,

on second thoughts I'm going to send the stuff down to Tea-Lady. I don't want to mess about with your travels, and the post is a very efficient system - they'll probably be there and back before I need them anyway. Thanks again.

If anyone is in contact with the Tea Lady (Anna-Maria) can you let her know her PM box is full. I've just tried to send her a message and it won't accept it.
cheers all!

pete

Avery
25th November 2013, 01:05 PM
What about

Western Sydney Woodturners - About Us (http://www.westernsydneywoodturners.com/)

at Seven Hills.

RETIRED
25th November 2013, 06:27 PM
No probs. I will be in Kingswood next Tuesday and possibly Wednesday.

waveink
26th November 2013, 04:36 PM
Hi Anna Maria,

I tried to respond the other day, but your inbox was full. has offered to turn these, but he is travelling at the moment, and rather than mess him about, I would love to take you up on your offer.

Can you please send me your mailing address.

How would you like the timber, in 8 small pieces (plus a couple of spares) or in longer strips,or one bigger piece for you to cut. If I'm cutting, do you want them a little oversized or a lot oversized? I am thinking that the two knobs for the front of the cabinet will be in the area of 35mm x 10-12mm and the smaller ones in the 25mm x 8-10mm range, but I'm sure your eye and experience will be a better judge of proportions at the time of turning the I will be. Each knob will also need an additional 6mm diameter tenon in the back - 12mm or so long.

Please let me know what is a good payment for the turning, and how best to repay you.

Thanks again for your help with these,

Pete

waveink
2nd December 2013, 07:25 PM
Bump! Anyone in touch with Tea Lady?

dai sensei
2nd December 2013, 08:52 PM
's on his way to Sydney, probably not to late to reconsider his offer :rolleyes:

nz_carver
2nd December 2013, 08:56 PM
I sent waveink a pm Robbos stopping of at mine whenesday

waveink
3rd December 2013, 04:39 PM
OK, I have been convinced that I'm not inconveniencing or his travels so am keen to have him turn the handles for me. I have spoken to nz_carver and have his workshop address, now I just need to get in touch with to arrange a time to meet him at the workshop. I'm going to send him a PM, but if anyone see or chats with him please let him know. Thanks.

tea lady
3rd December 2013, 05:31 PM
Its always more fun to watch the things being turned. :U Will empty my PM box too. Ten messages ain't very many.

waveink
4th December 2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks to for the turning and Dave (nz_carver) for the workshop, I now have my Shaker knobs. They look great too - now to find the time to fit them to the cabinet! I think I see a spare hour on Sunday somewhere!!

Thanks again guys.

pete

nz_carver
4th December 2013, 05:14 PM
Not a problem mate any time

tea lady
4th December 2013, 05:36 PM
So where's the pics? :D

BamBam53
4th December 2013, 08:16 PM
It didn't happen unless there are pictures :no:

Sawdust Maker
4th December 2013, 08:23 PM

Christos
4th December 2013, 09:34 PM
Well done on the little door knobs. :U

And yes I did pay attention the last time you were in Sydney.

RETIRED
4th December 2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks Peter, the pleasure was mine.

Thank you to NZ carver for having me. Thanks for coming over Nick and Peter. Always enjoy flapping the gums with other Forumites.:D

tea lady
4th December 2013, 11:31 PM
:cool:

nz_carver
4th December 2013, 11:51 PM
Just got home to my place after a day at the workshop it was a bit of fun
the lathe is fast asleep trying not to think about the facet it got used for spindle work
i miss having the workshop

Mobyturns
5th December 2013, 09:45 PM

Hey there are some videos at the top of the page you may want to watch. :rolleyes:

:busted: I'll go hide under a rock now. :-

powderpost
5th December 2013, 09:57 PM
Hey there are some videos at the top of the page you may want to watch. :rolleyes:

:busted: I'll go hide under a rock now. :-

:fineprint: :D

RETIRED
5th December 2013, 10:20 PM
:p