PDA

View Full Version : Ny thoughts on Carbatec fm230 Dust Collector?

Jock_Jock
1st June 2005, 11:28 AM
Having just used my thicknesser for the first time in earnest I find I need a dust collector as well as my cyclone/vac combo. Our local joinery shop has the FM 230 at the moment. There isn't a great choice in Hobart for this sort of gear. It would only be used with one tool at a time.
All comments greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jock

lesmeyer
1st June 2005, 11:38 AM
Jock,
I had the FM230 for use with a 6 inch jointer. When I purchased a 15 inch thicknesser, I was told to rather use the FM300. I then traded in the 230 for the 300 and it works very well. However, I must say that the FM230 does have good suction. I suppose it just depends on which thicknesser you are using.
Regards
Les

Jock_Jock
1st June 2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks Les
I have the (Shudder Shudder) Carbetec ctj 340 12 1/2 inch. I just put about 12 metres of 135*35 old oak through and was amazed by the amount of shavings.

Would the fm230 work ok with this thicknesser?

Thanks for the prompt response
Jock

noodle_snacks
1st June 2005, 12:13 PM
Jock Jock, Moonah Machinery on dewent park road, dewent park (about a block away from K&D) have dust extraction machines equivilent to the carbatec FM-300 and the next size up (with bags either side of the moter. Last time i was there i think the FM-300 was $300

Jock_Jock
1st June 2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks for that Noodle
I'll take my catalogue and go and have a look.
Cheers
Jock

Gumby
1st June 2005, 01:37 PM
I'd recommend the larger size. I have the 230 and its OK on the jointer but I think it could be a lot better. I'm probably going to sell it and buy the 2HP now that i want to attach a table saw and run some fixed ducting. Previously I had about 2m of flex and just hooked it up as needed. If you do go with the 1HP, then make sure the ducting isn't too long and you have a resonably straight run from the machine to the DC. No corners etc.

Ashore
1st June 2005, 01:45 PM
Jock Jock

Everyone needs a dust collector but I found using one with a thicknesser filled it up too quick , and as it doesn't produce dust as much as shavings I built mine in with a shoot and collection box thats easy to empty.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9281&stc=1http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9282&stc=1

A picture is worth a thousand words, and so it should be it uses up a thousand times the memory.