PDA

View Full Version : goblets to drink out of

turnerted
25th November 2013, 08:53 AM
G'day
Saw this something like this on the web so decided to make a few and see if they sell at our next club sales.
I know some claim that there are finishes that will withstand wine but drinking wine out of a wooden goblet doesn't appeal to me.The base is made from a scrap of hardwood decking and the stem from a bit of salvaged fencepost.The original goblets came from Woolies 4/$11 .The finish is spraycan polyurathane.
Comments welcome.
Ted

stuffy
25th November 2013, 12:22 PM
Very nice, Ted.
:2tsup:
Are the goblets glass or plastic?
How are the stems attached?

:)

Steve

DaveTTC
25th November 2013, 12:43 PM
That is actually a nice mix. I like it.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

turnerted
25th November 2013, 04:38 PM
Steve
These goblets are glass.The stem projects about 15mm in to the wood. I sanded the end with a bit of 150 grit to give a key and glued them in with epoxy.
Ted

tdrumnut
25th November 2013, 04:47 PM
Now thats added a bit of style to them I reckon.

Hermit
25th November 2013, 04:52 PM
Steve
These goblets are glass.The stem projects about 15mm in to the wood. I sanded the end with a bit of 150 grit to give a key and glued them in with epoxy.
Ted

Hello Ted. Nice work on the goblets. Practical, too. :2tsup:

A question if you don't mind - what did you use to cut the original stems off the glass goblets? Dremel?

turnerted
25th November 2013, 05:20 PM
Hemit
I started off using a Dremil cutoff wheel.You just need to make a nick.Put gloves on,hold the goblet with the nick away from you and your thumbs either side of the nick.The breaking action is to push with the thumbs while pulling the two halves apart. It may sound complicated but is quite easy to do in fact sometimes too easily. I have had one snap off while cutting the nick and then had to clean up the broken glass from the stem when it hit the concrete floor of my shed,so do it over a work bench. I have also found that you can make the nick on the edge of a grinding wheel, either aluminium oxide or CBN.This has the advantage that you have a hand for each half while cutting so there is no risk of dropping.It doesn't matter if the cut is not perfect since it is hidden inside the wood.
Ted

Hermit
25th November 2013, 05:30 PM
Hermit
I started off using a Dremil cutoff wheel.You just need to make a nick.Put gloves on,hold the goblet with the nick away from you and your thumbs either side of the nick.The breaking action is to push with the thumbs while pulling the two halves apart. It may sound complicated but is quite easy to do in fact sometimes too easily. I have had one snap off while cutting the nick and then had to clean up the broken glass from the stem when it hit the concrete floor of my shed,so do it over a work bench. I have also found that you can make the nick on the edge of a grinding wheel, either aluminium oxide or CBN.This has the advantage that you have a hand for each half while cutting so there is no risk of dropping.It doesn't matter if the cut is not perfect since it is hidden inside the wood.
Ted

Thanks for the nice, descriptive reply Ted.
I've just started turning and am looking for small projects for practice. These look perfect. A combination of spindle and faceplate turning will be great practice. I'll buy some Woolies glass goblets tomorrow.
I assume that you made the bases 2-piece for grain orientation - across the base, but along the stem, if that makes sense.

DaveTTC
25th November 2013, 05:45 PM
you may have started something here ... not that i have the time to try it atm.

All us guys will owe you the credit ;)

dr4g0nfly
26th November 2013, 06:19 AM
I've seen goblets with a stub stem for doing things like this for sale, but were always stupidly expensive - cut the stems off standard glasses, good thinking....

Box, what box?

Dalboy
26th November 2013, 10:20 AM
I've seen goblets with a stub stem for doing things like this for sale, but were always stupidly expensive - cut the stems off standard glasses, good thinking....

Box, what box?

I know what you mean £3.95 per glass from Turners Retreat I was going to get some think I will do as turnerted has done:2tsup:

dai sensei
26th November 2013, 10:34 AM
Nice job :2tsup:

I bought quite a few second hand glasses from the op-shops a while back, usually $1 each or $5 for a set of 6, to make them from. I was going to make a new stand for the top half similar to yours, except forming a small cone that cradled the glass as well as the tennon, then make a cup out of wood to use with the bottom of the glass. Hence I would get a glass top with a wooden handle and a wooden cup with a glass stand out of each one. Another one of those project for when i had spare time :rolleyes:

elderly
26th November 2013, 02:47 PM
You can pick them up at garage sales for 5 to 10 cents each. Cheers Frank.

turnerted
26th November 2013, 04:41 PM
Hermit
The only reason I made these out of two pieces was to save wood. There is no reason why you couldn't turn it all out of one piece just as if you were making a complete goblet.
I look forward to seeing your effort posted.
Ted

Hermit
26th November 2013, 08:07 PM
Hermit
The only reason I made these out of two pieces was to save wood. There is no reason why you couldn't turn it all out of one piece just as if you were making a complete goblet.

Thanks Ted, I guess I was over-thinking (again). :D

I look forward to seeing your effort posted.Ted

Will do, either if they look good or if they look shocking. Possibly not, though, if they're just mediocre. :wink:
I'm in the midst of my first bowl right now - same goes for that.