PDA

View Full Version : New to woodturning

woodtryer
27th November 2013, 09:00 PM
Hi all, I have decided to go and purchase my first lathe. I really only want to do small projects, handles for chisels and files, small bowls/dishes, that kind of stuff. Can you please tell me if the Carba-Tec Mini Lathe MC1018 is a good lathe for beginners? Also, would it be a good idea to purchase a good quality chuck like a Nova Precision Midi Chuck to go with it. Thanks for the feedback. Pete.

DaveTTC
27th November 2013, 09:25 PM
Good quality always pays off.

Welcome to wood turning!!!

How much is the lathe you are looking at?

It may be better to spend the same money on a second hand lathe that is a better and maybe bigger lathe. Check the forum and see of there are any for sale here.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Sturdee
27th November 2013, 09:38 PM
Hi all, I have decided to go and purchase my first lathe.

As you're in Mooroolbark why don't you go and have a chat with Brian of Pop's shed (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Contact_Us.aspx) in Chirnside. I buy a lot of stuff from them and can recommend them.

BTW if you join a wood turners club first he will give you 10 % discount on all your purchases.

Peter.

jay h
28th November 2013, 01:29 PM
Hi, I live in Clayton and drive to Pop's shed ---- too often; they are the good guys. I also own and use their mini lathe, the older version, I recommend it highly. Go have a look. Jay

woodtryer
28th November 2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I will head out there Saturday morning and have a look. Pete.

Hermit
28th November 2013, 11:50 PM
I can recommend the 10"/18" mini-lathe from Pop's Shed too. I bought one a couple of months ago.
As well as the 10% woodies club discount, they do a package deal of the lathe and a 50mm scroll chuck with 4 sets of jaws. (It's mentioned on their home page.)
Great for getting started.

Edit: Take note of what Dave said, though, and if you can get a bigger, 2nd-hand one in good nick for a similar price.....