PDA

View Full Version : Treated pine stumps

Bear
1st June 2005, 06:07 PM
The ongoing saga of the restumping of the house. I have priced different stumps and was recently advised to use treated pine stumps, which seemed like a good idea. That was untill I spoke to the council the first reply was that should be Ok but don't quote me, when I said that was not good enough I was told that I would have to use stressed stumps. I rang the local supplier and they wasn't sure what they meant by stressed. Any one have any ideas. I am reluctant to talk to the guy at the council without some tools of torture

Regards

Bear

knucklehead
1st June 2005, 06:38 PM
I thought the only timber stumps that were used these days were for hertitage type houses. Even then they normally only use them where they are visable.
Gal RHS in 100mm and 75mm are the main stay of the restumping buisness. These generally also the cheapest becuase of the volume. Infact I often use this stuff for other projects because it is cheap relative to other types of steel.

johnc
2nd June 2005, 09:17 AM
Concrete stumps are still the main stump of choice in this area with gal stumps only just starting to get a mention. Treated pine has a limited life, just like all timber in the ground, its life span depends on the penetration of the treatment and soil type. We had a trellis supported by poles two of which rotted out in ten years, the rest were fine. Personally I would only touch concrete or steel at least you are less likely to have any trouble down the track.JohnC