PDA

View Full Version : Beech Bowl

Dalboy
29th November 2013, 10:30 AM
Had some spalted beech which I payed next to nothing for (I know paying nothing would have been better) measures 7 1/2" by 1 3/4" that is why I left the chucking recess in it. Tried to keep it a simple form as the wood says it all

tea lady
29th November 2013, 02:06 PM
Nice and chunky. Looks like it would be nice to hold too. And I like foot rings, being an ex-potter.

dr4g0nfly
30th November 2013, 08:01 AM
That is some heavy spalting you've got there, I'd say it was caught just in time, and you achieved a nice finish on a timber that was moments away from turning to mush.

So well done on the (almost) freebie.

Dalboy
30th November 2013, 09:25 AM
Thank you tea lady I was in two minds about turning it like this or going for a thinner bowl so I turned it to this shape and unscrewed the chuck from the lathe and took one long look at it before deciding to keep it as is

That is some heavy spalting you've got there, I'd say it was caught just in time, and you achieved a nice finish on a timber that was moments away from turning to mush.

So well done on the (almost) freebie.

Thank you dr4g0nfly I have about another 6 or 7 ranging from 5" dia to about 10"pieces yet to turn which I managed to get out of these two pieces each piece is about 2"-3" thick and quite large.
On one of the pieces I have already turned I did have to give it a good soak with some sander sealer to help stabilise it. This piece was out of the second one near the top and just to the right of centre, the dark streak can be seen in the bottom of the bowl as well as the uncut piece

piece 1

piece 2

each piece cost me £2 the guy was selling them for £3 each (well you have to barter) at a Steam Rally I attended