PDA

View Full Version : Great New Toy

Swino
3rd December 2013, 07:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

As NZ Carver mentioned in a previous post at the Recent Gold Coast Woodturners open day a new product was unveiled. I have been waiting for the manufacturer to get back to me to give permission for the product to be unveilled. I didn't think it was appropriate to post pics before this occurred.

So now I have permission I'll share with everyone. Vicmarc has produced a sharpening system.

1) V00437, Grinding Jig - Simliar to the Trugrind for fingernail grinds. My initial views are that it is well built and has a solid clamping system.

2) V00438, Grinding Station - sharpening platform with preset pins for angles.

I'll attach the owners manual to provide everyone with more info.

Cost wise the Grinding jig is cheaper than other compatible models on the market. They are / will be available shortly through the usual Vicmarc stockists.

brendan stemp
3rd December 2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks Swino.

Well I'm not convinced it was quite worth the hype it got but it looks quite good. I'll certainly get one (being a Vicmarc agent) and give it a good work out. I know of one company that wont be all that happy about it ie Woodcut so it will be interesting to see how it compares with the Trugrind.

nz_carver
3rd December 2013, 09:02 PM
Id like to say thanks Swino mate I know you had a lot on but you take time to help out another member.

id like to say thanks allso swino and the Gold Coast boys that gave in put in this new toy

thanks Marco from your a gentleman

Colin62
3rd December 2013, 09:29 PM
I'm keen to see an independent review, and am curious to know how they differentiate this from the tru-grind and the one-way systems.

Cheaper than the opposition can't be bad for the consumers, but I wonder how much cheaper and if that's just the introductory price.

All-in-all I don't see myself dropping my (already paid for and working well for me) jigs to spend money on a new jig unless I'm convinced that it's going to be significantly better than my current setup.

brendan stemp
3rd December 2013, 10:00 PM
This is the type of hype I was refering to (Dave you might recognise the comment) "its a tool no woodturner can be with out trust me it's a game changer!!"

By the looks of it is the exact same principle as a few other grinding jigs on the market so how is it a "game changer"? And how is it a tool "no woodturner can do without"? I could do without one because I have a Trugrind. What does it do that the Trugrind doesn't?

After reading the pdf link Swino provided, I don't need to see the actual article to understand what its all about, and know that it ain't no game changer. That's what I call hype, Dave and that is NOT being crtitical of the product in any way.

I appreciate your enthusiam over it and your willingness to promote it but there was a large degree of hype surrounding your initial comments.

Now I'm sure if it is Vicmarc it will be well made and if had input then it will be well designed with the bugs ironed out. I'm glad it's made in Australia and that Australian turners will have a well priced alternative to a style of jig that I like.

I will order one and will probably do a video review of it to put on my YouTube channel just as I have done with other non-Vicmarc products. And, just like other retailers of woodturning product, I will promote products I think are worth promoting, Vicmarc or otherwise, because I like to support them as best I can.

Sturdee
3rd December 2013, 10:43 PM
I will order one and will probably do a video review of it to put on my YouTube channel just as I have done with other non-Vicmarc products. And, just like other retailers of woodturning product, I will promote products I think are worth promoting, Vicmarc or otherwise, because I like to support them as best I can.

Brendan,

Can you also compare it with the Tormek turning jigs used with the bench grinding attachment on a bench grinder. I'd be interested to see if it's better as I already have those.

Peter.

RETIRED
3rd December 2013, 11:32 PM
First off let me say that I had no real direct input into the design of the jig but some of the modifications I have made to my jigs may have had an influence.

I was asked by Marco to say what i thought of it whilst checking something else.

It is very well made and extremely smooth and precise in operation.

It has the best tool locking and centering in the grinding jig that I have ever seen in any jig marketed in Australia. It is easy to positively lock the tool in place but easier to release the tool as well than other models.

Where the grinding jig pin goes into the arm is a much better and more positive hold than most but can still be lifted out if you are inattentive.

Like all jigs there is a learning curve but anyone who uses a similar type would have no problems adapting to this setup.

There is no numbering system on the grinding jig or sliding arm but I personally don't see that as a problem because i work off the existing bevels but a newbie may have a little trouble to get the right angles.

All in all a nice bit of equipment that should be considered if looking at a new or upmarket jig.

Brendan,

Can you also compare it with the Tormek turning jigs used with the bench grinding attachment on a bench grinder. I'd be interested to see if it's better as I already have those.

Peter.Peter. As you know I consider the Tormek jigs the best on the market, however they have some limitations in the size of tools that can fit in the gouge jig.

If you own the set and they do what you want and need there is no need to change. :)

That applies to most things in woodturning but if looking at replacements for any tool or equipment it pays to get the best that one can afford.

This jig is one such item.

Willy Nelson
4th December 2013, 12:53 AM
Sorry Gents
But I didn't see a price
Willy

brendan stemp
4th December 2013, 05:46 AM
Sorry Gents
But I didn't see a price
Willy

I have just received the prices from Marco at Vicmarc. Jig is $149.50 and the Station $175.50. I'll be ordering one today.:) Stay tuned for the video:D

Oldgreybeard
4th December 2013, 08:40 AM
I have just received the prices from Marco at Vicmarc. Jig is $149.50 and the Station $175.50. I'll be ordering one today.:) Stay tuned for the video:D

Brenden, am I correct in assuming that you need to buy both the Jig and the station or can the jig be fitted to any bench grinder?
If I have to spend $325.00 I, for one, will be in no hurry to change from the Tormek.

Jim Carroll
4th December 2013, 09:14 AM
Brendan obviously the Hype has worked as you are now purchasing one when there is obviously no need for one as you have all the other brands of jigs and fixtures available.

This is what hype does.

Have also ordered some for me and the shop as I am keen to see how they work and if there is going to be any real benefit to the end user.

One flaw I have noticed with the skew jig is that there is no allowance for the 10 degree angle to suit the vicmac dovetail angle.

Waiting for answers on other questions.

Peter as indicated I think with the setup you have on the tormek there would be no real benefit in changing over.

This will be targeted at those that dont have any set up or are ready to improve on what they have.

nz_carver
4th December 2013, 09:28 AM
At the end of the day I support product that are made here in Australia and I'm just happy that there is another woodturning product made here in Australia

Sturdee
4th December 2013, 10:18 AM
Peter as indicated I think with the setup you have on the tormek there would be no real benefit in changing over.

Thanks and Jim for the confirmation of what I thought.

The only improvement to the setup would be getting new CBN wheels but that will have to wait until the wide white wheels on my 6" Creusen grinder wears down enough to justify them.

Peter.

DaveTTC
4th December 2013, 10:21 AM
$325 does not seem that cheap. By station is that meant to mean the platform?

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Swino
4th December 2013, 11:52 AM
There are two different products:

- the first is the fingernail jig with the associated 'rail' that sits underneath the wheel. (This is comparable to the Woodcut Tru Grind Sharpening Station)

- the second is the sharpening platform (for skews, bench chisels, etc.). (This is comparable to the Tru Grind Sturdy Rest and base)

A simple search of one of the sponsors website will provide a price comparison for people thinking of purchasing the system (either part of both).

The products can be purchased together or separately. I posted the information so that people are aware of a new product coming on to the market. Vicmarc (in my opinion) is a great company that makes quality lathes and components and remains Australian owned and built. I personally prefer to buy Australian made whenever possible (particularly when the product is often well constructed and at a reasonable price).

Whether you wish to upgrade or whether you feel that this product is value for money is a personal choice that only the end user can make., I would be interested to see what peoples feedback is that do choose to purchase one.

Let's keep this thread focussed on the topic - that is a new product on the market and for people to provide feedback if they try it.

DaveTTC
4th December 2013, 12:13 PM
I am keen to try out the set up. Sadly I not long got the trugrind jig

Buying Australian is great.

Nz_carver - thanks for starting the 'hype' as some call it. In glad to know about a new tool, look forward to reviews, will talk to about it and how to try one out at some point

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

brendan stemp
4th December 2013, 12:13 PM
Brendan obviously the Hype has worked as you are now purchasing one when there is obviously no need for one as you have all the other brands of jigs and fixtures available.

This is what hype does.

Have also ordered some for me and the shop as I am keen to see how they work and if there is going to be any real benefit to the end user.

One flaw I have noticed with the skew jig is that there is no allowance for the 10 degree angle to suit the vicmac dovetail angle.

Waiting for answers on other questions.

This will be targeted at those that dont have any set up or are ready to improve on what they have.

Yep, the hype has worked by creating a lot of interest in this product, but give me a little more credit Jim. I'm buying one not because I was sucked in by the hype but because I need another jig and I need to see and try them first before I invest in stock. I would've found out about this product regardless of any air-time on this forum.

I look forward to seeing how good they are.

Christos
4th December 2013, 01:39 PM
I will look at this as an addition to the craft/hobby that I have chosen.

I will have to add it to my list of things to keep an eye out for. So far I think I have over 20 eyes out. :D

Colin62
4th December 2013, 05:10 PM
The only improvement to the setup would be getting new CBN wheels but that will have to wait until the wide white wheels on my 6" Creusen grinder wears down enough to justify them.

I think we have the same grinder, and the same upgrade plans :)

But always keen to learn about new equipment, even if I'm not in the market for it right now. Never know when someone will ask for advice, and it's better to be up to speed with the newest stuff out there.

Mobyturns
4th December 2013, 09:23 PM
I'm a strong supporter of buy Australian & Queensland (& even Kiwi) made so it is very good to see a manufacturer developing and manufacturing wood turning tools here & I hope they get plenty of support. Vicmarc & Vermec both make high quality tools that work well and are worth the slight cost premium in my book.

As for being new & revolutionary well all pivoting jigs are variations of the ball ended goniostat adapted for use with a powered grinder. The goniostat goes well back in turning history into at least the 1700's and perhaps earlier and was also in use in lapidary applications.

I'm not particularly in favour of single point pivot and handle end sharpening jigs as they present hazards to the user if they are not used correctly and more particularly when the jig pivot starts to wear and or if the locking devices are not secured correctly. The hazard is created by locking clamps moving; the heel of the pivot moving from the support hole or not being located/seated correctly allowing the tool to move down the wheel surface untill the tool is either jambed against the moving wheel and slammed downwards or thrown sideways. Both actions can be quite violent when the device is used with conventional grinders. Pivoting jigs are a very handy tool for accurately replicating preferred tool grinds but require a degree of skill and concentration to use safely. (Mike Darlow covers jigs quite well in "Woodturning Techniques")

The Vicmarc jig does address these issues quite well as it appears to be very robust with good locking systems and has a very well designed pivot stop compared to similar competitors products.

Now as for a game changer, well it may be a very good pivioting sharpening system, but I think I will be sticking to my Heligrind and Tormek jig systems.

Scott
4th December 2013, 09:47 PM
Nothing like a thread discussing sharpening options to get the argument juices flowing.

What I'd like is 'something' to sharpen my tools 'sharp' which doesn't take a lot of time and conserves steel. This new Vicmarc jig 'seems' like it's okay. A game changer it is not. Not unless it sharpens 'sharp', gets the job done quick and conserves steel.

Brendan, I look forward to your review on Youtube.

artme
5th December 2013, 10:09 AM
Mobyturns makes some very pertinent comments about this jig.

I have always been a little concerned by the flimsy tool holding
Methods used by some jigs. Years ago I bought a Heligrind But have
hardly used it for this ery reason. THe desifn is sound but the
execution of the design is lacking in this one area,

Many of the jigs on the market remind me of the line from that
qonderful bokk"1066 and All That" ---- a good thing but a bad king.

robo hippy
7th December 2013, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, another grinding jig set up in an already crowded market. I won't be buying one, but will check out at the next Symposium I go to. Since I haven't seen it in person, I can only guess. I don't really see anything that is an improvement over any of the others out there. The gouge jigs seem to be rather large compared to Oneway and the Ellsworth jigs that I am familiar with. The platform looks to be the same. Well, I do need to see them.

One thing I am curious about. I have Vicmark chucks, and love the dove tail on them. I measured once a long time ago, and I thought the angle was 7 degrees, which is what is recommended for dove tails in joinery. Is it 10 or 7?

robo hippy

hughie
7th December 2013, 12:39 PM
...for me the hype was a put off. Just put the thing on the market and let me make up my own mind.

But looking at the instruction manual from an engineering angle it impresses. OK its bigger than my Trugrind and a bit heavier I dont see that as a negative. The method of locking certainly will hold with a great deal of pressure and that cant be bad. It is definitely an improvement on my Trugrind. The grinding station is the only part that interests me at the moment having the other jig.

As to safety, in all these things there is measure of learning and appreciating the risks involved. As we are familiar with the need to sharpen and sharpen often. I would expect this particular jig, not to add any greater risks than other models, but time will tell.

All in all it looks well made and solid, characteristics of a good jig and typical of the Vicmarc attitude to quality. I see no reason why it wont be a success, this is sight unseen and would love to have a play with it.

Brendan look forward to your comments and any comparisons you care to offer up.

Jim Carroll
7th December 2013, 01:42 PM
One thing I am curious about. I have Vicmark chucks, and love the dove tail on them. I measured once a long time ago, and I thought the angle was 7 degrees, which is what is recommended for dove tails in joinery. Is it 10 or 7?

robo hippy

10 degrees :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2013, 02:40 PM
I've seen the item(s), it is a 'better mouse trap.'

If you already have a trap that catches mice, you may not buy it.

I have a Unijig 5 & a Hiturn that I bought in 1999 & I have adapted both to suit me & my situation so I don't need to buy it.

If somebody was asking my opinion on what to get or I lost all my tools in a fire/cyclone/robbery, then this is what I would recommend to others & buy for myself.

Hermit
8th December 2013, 11:03 PM
After chatting to and perusing the pdf manual, I'm definitely up for one of these as soon as they're on sale.
I don't have one at all yet, and if the Vicmarc is both a little cheaper and a little better than the Tru-Grind, I'm in.

ubute
12th May 2014, 03:09 PM
Given it's been a few months now, does anyone have anymore thoughts on this jig? I'll be in the market for my first sharpening jig soon so will be tossing up between the Tru Grind and this one, and reading so far it will be most likely the Vicmarc by the sound of things.

Hermit
12th May 2014, 04:02 PM
Given it's been a few months now, does anyone have anymore thoughts on this jig? I'll be in the market for my first sharpening jig soon so will be tossing up between the Tru Grind and this one, and reading so far it will be most likely the Vicmarc by the sound of things.

This was a lot of hype over nothing, wasn't it?
I was waiting for Brendan's promised review, but I think it's been forgotten.

In the end, I decided on the Gary Pye jig, purely based on cost, since I have no way of comparing the Vicmarc to the others.

ubute
12th May 2014, 04:13 PM
This was a lot of hype over nothing, wasn't it?
I was waiting for Brendan's promised review, but I think it's been forgotten.

In the end, I decided on the Gary Pye jig, purely based on cost, since I have no way of comparing the Vicmarc to the others.

Hmm, the Gary Pye jig looks a lot like the Oneway Wolverine with the Vari-grind. Pretty decent price too. I'm assuming you're pretty happy with it?

Hermit
12th May 2014, 04:25 PM
Hmm, the Gary Pye jig looks a lot like the Oneway Wolverine with the Vari-grind. Pretty decent price too. I'm assuming you're pretty happy with it?

I haven't actually got it yet, so can't comment on it's quality. I won't be buying it for a couple more weeks.

Beesncheese
28th May 2014, 09:24 AM
Just seen Brendan Stemps review on Facebook, brilliant, thanks Brendan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brendan stemp
28th May 2014, 10:14 AM
Not forgotten, I've just been very busy.

Here is my overview of the Vicmarc Grinding System:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMi3bWEakbo&list=UUYJ4e0XACGJQjJvfmVUcE-Q

I particularly like the new 1/2 speed grinder.

As as been mentioned the jig and platform are "new mouse traps" but they are well made and provide us with an Australian-made option.

dai sensei
28th May 2014, 12:31 PM
Interesting Brendan, certainly gives you a good idea on what it is and how it works.

One thing I did pick up though was the way the triangular guide had to be adjusted for each side of a skew. I wondered why you didn't just flip it, but then answered my own question, the locking nut is not centrally located. Makes me wonder why the locking nut was positioned off-centre, perhaps because the pin locations would otherwise be an issue?