PDA

View Full Version : Another new addict

Hermit
4th December 2013, 12:11 AM
I got my first lathe recently, and after a bit of spindle turning practice over the last few weeks, thought it was time to tackle a couple of 'real' projects.

First came these, made with the threaded-inserts/axle/string kits from Carroll's.
They're Camphor Laurel and Blackbutt, finished in satin WOP:

295948 295949

Having succeeded at those, I got a bit more adventurous and tried a little 165mm x 40mm QLD Maple bowl, also finished with satin WOP. I'm fairly happy with it for a first attempt, but would certainly welcome any criticisms, especially concerning form.

295950 295951

The bottom's nothing fancy, but I did hollow it slightly so the bowl would sit solidly on the outer edge.

295952 295953

Now I understand why you guys all like turning so much - it's the most relaxing form of woodworking that I've tried so far. :2tsup:

Beedeejay
4th December 2013, 12:35 AM
Now you have started you may just never sD,

Great work on the Yo-yo. I might have to get a few of them I think, they could be a hit with my nieces and nephews,

In regards to the bowl, again well done, my first bowl is poor in comparison, and when it comes to shape and form, I have found that there are more experienced / professional turners that have told me of "rules" when it comes to shapes, but at the end of the day if you are happy with it and it is pleasing for you to look at, then does it realy matter? It is a form of artwork after all and every artists point of view is different!
Keep up the good work!
cheers Ben

Hermit
4th December 2013, 12:49 AM
Now you have started you may just never sD,

Great work on the Yo-yo. I might have to get a few of them I think, they could be a hit with my nieces and nephews,

In regards to the bowl, again well done, my first bowl is poor in comparison, and when it comes to shape and form, I have found that there are more experienced / professional turners that have told me of "rules" when it comes to shapes, but at the end of the day if you are happy with it and it is pleasing for you to look at does it realy matter? It is a for of artwork after all and every artists point of view is different!
Keep up the good work!
cheers Ben

Thanks for the kind words Ben. And it's settled - I like the bowl.

The little yo yos were fun, both during and after turning. Before making them, I watched a couple of vids on YouTube and picked up a tip - the halves have to be within <0.5g for the yo yo to work well, so you need to dust off the kitchen scales. Mine are 0.5g resolution, but worked well enough.
The kit, ($3 at Carroll's) and the inside of a yo yo:

You can also get bearing-type yo yo kits, (not from Carroll's though), but these were good enough for me.

Edit: I pressed/glued the inserts in first, then made a mandrel to screw into them and fit into the scroll chuck.

Dalboy
4th December 2013, 02:08 AM
Some great pieces Steve especially as you are a beginner with the lathe, "NOW GET BACK TO MAKING SOME TOYS":roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::harhar: hope you continue to enjoy your new toy

Hermit
4th December 2013, 02:28 AM
Some great pieces Steve especially as you are a beginner with the lathe, "NOW GET BACK TO MAKING SOME TOYS":roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::harhar: hope you continue to enjoy your new toy

Hello Derek. I'm up burning the midnight oil planning the shape of my next bowl. :dev:

Thanks for the encouragement.

And the VW is happening - I ran out of aerosol poly, (satin Estapol), and had to wait until yesterday to get more. I got the final coat on it today, so tomorrow I'll glue on the bumpers and wheels and it's done. Will post some finished pics (in the VW thread) in a day or two.

brendan stemp
4th December 2013, 06:27 AM
Well, if these are some of your first turnings I'm not going to offer you any advice. I think you'll work it all out pretty quickly judging on what you have already achieved. Great job on both pieces.

artme
4th December 2013, 08:17 AM

My sentiments too!!!

Now you can turn boilers, wheels and other round bits to help feed that other habit!:):):)

Welcome along mate!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
4th December 2013, 09:20 AM
Thats torn it he'll now just become more of a Hermit shed bound tethered to the lathe just wait till he discovers PEN TURNING :doh:

Yo Yo's look cool have been planning on making some for the grandies like the look of those for sure. I am seriously mystified why the gizmos every Yo Yo I ever pulled apart (think smashed apart:B) only had a wooden dowel joining them even some high quality Pro ones.

Everything else looks tops also well done I see no pics of the lathe tho :p

Hermit
4th December 2013, 02:15 PM
Well, if these are some of your first turnings I'm not going to offer you any advice. I think you'll work it all out pretty quickly judging on what you have already achieved. Great job on both pieces.

Thank you Brendan. Coming from you, that means a lot to me.
(You've already given advice, I've watched your skew vids on YouTube. :2tsup:)

Edit: is coming through here tomorrow, too, so I'm hoping to pick up a few more tips then. :cool:

Hermit
4th December 2013, 02:16 PM
My sentiments too!!!

Now you can turn boilers, wheels and other round bits to help feed that other habit!:):):)

Welcome along mate!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks Arthur. And yeah, the yo-yos were actually sort of practice for wheel-making for my models.

Hermit
4th December 2013, 02:24 PM
Thats torn it he'll now just become more of a Hermit shed bound tethered to the lathe just wait till he discovers PEN TURNING :doh:

Yo Yo's look cool have been planning on making some for the grandies like the look of those for sure. I am seriously mystified why the gizmos every Yo Yo I ever pulled apart (think smashed apart:B) only had a wooden dowel joining them even some high quality Pro ones.

Everything else looks tops also well done I see no pics of the lathe tho :p

G'day Ray. Part of the reason I bought the kits was for the strings. (No knot at the bottom.)
The other reason, though, was because these chromed axles are much lower friction than wooden ones, so the yo-yos are better for tricks involving sleeping. I've never tried a bearing type, but they'd be even better.
The slicker they are, though, the harder they are to wind. I have to wind over a finger first time around, then a few turns over the loop, pull the loop almost out, then continue winding. After that, if you don't stuff up they self-wind. ( I spend a lot of time winding mine. :D )

As a kid we used to make them with a 2 1/4" holesaw and a piece of 1/4" dowel, but they didn't perform anything like these ones do.

Hermit
4th December 2013, 02:48 PM
Sorry Ray, I almost forgot - the lathe is a little 10"/18" mini lathe from Pop's Shed. 1/2 HP motor, electronic speed control, 650rpm to 5000rpm.
It came bundled with a 50mm scroll chuck with 4 sets of jaws. (Also got the 10% discount for being a member of a woodies club.) A good deal and a good little lathe. (Certainly a hell of a lot better than some of the machines I've bought elsewhere. :D)

That's a piece of NGR on it at the moment - gonna be a couple of little tealight candle holders.

turnerted
4th December 2013, 03:46 PM
You're going well Steve.
I've been going to make some YO YOs but never got round to it.
Your bowl's good too . I Like the fact that you have finished off the base properly and not left the mounting showing as many first timers do.
Ted

wheelinround
4th December 2013, 04:10 PM
Nice lathe Steve thanks for posting the pic

yo yo making sounds familiar yeh steel rods did the same thing slip well for use but APIA to get going.

Noted no mention or bite at pens yet

elderly
4th December 2013, 04:24 PM
Great start to your woodturning adventure Steve there will be no stopping you now.
Cheers Frank.

Hermit
4th December 2013, 06:01 PM
Ted, I'm trying to learn the best way of doing things, so the bottom was as important as the top. I did the hard yards and to reverse the bowl for turning off the tenon and finishing I made a plywood faceplate disc with a recess for the bowl lip and 4 little tabs with screws to hold the rim down firmly. I'm learning.

Ray, at this stage I'm not going to get into pen turning. Bowls and lidded boxes etc are my main interest, aside from the scale model wheels and so on.
Also, it's pretty expensive for mandrels, presses and other odds and sods to get started pen turning, whereas I'd rather spend my extra $$ on more gouges etc right now. Got plenty of small scraps, though, so it might well be on the cards in the future. I won't be cutting up any nice-sized bits of wood for pen blanks though.:D

Frank, you're right - this opens up a whole new world to me. It's even keeping me awake at night thinking about it. Much rather play with my toys than sleep.