PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel Symptons and workarounds

RufflyRustic
2nd June 2005, 09:41 AM
I've suffered RSI for years due to playing the piano, typing and using a mouse. I've tried to be fairly careful of what I do, but have found that hand sanding has brought on CTS-like symptons. I cannot hammer or paint for very long, so tend to use rebates, dowels and screws more often than not.

The Questions:
Does anyone suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS), sore wrists and arms, Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)? If so, have you changed your wood working habits so as to relieve the strain and pain? Have you found particular tools to be better than others? Have you made any jigs to help in your work?

PS - Yes - I've searched for previous postings and have found some good discussion and information there.

thanks
RufflyRustic

keith53
2nd June 2005, 09:55 AM
I do sympathise. In my work as a Comms Tech I used to make a lot of data cables & ended up having my left middle finger sieze in the closed position on occasion. Very painful. Ended up having to have it operated on & haven't had any probs since.

Being a 10 finger typist and a computer user since they were invented (almost) I don't believe this has contributed. In this area, pay attention to the height of your chair and keyboard rest. Your elbows should be roughly equal the height of the keyboard so that your arms are level or at worst have a slight downward trend when typing. This is the ergonomically recommended position and it is actually quite comfortable.

Try that little change but if pain persists, I recommend Fosters Larger. Consume one can after the other till the symptoms subside then lie down and rest...:)

Cheers,
Keith

flea1607
2nd June 2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Rustic

I to suffer from RSI from years of bashing the keyboard - My doctor put me onto Therma Skin Wrist Guards which saved me a lot of pain. In the early years, it was like uniform always had it on. Even still almost 20 years later, (although i definately dont do as much keyboard bashing) I still have to use only occasionally.

Although I have not done much woodworking I do know that when sanding a table top down I did use the therma skin as the wrist was geting sore from the vibrations. (Mind you wearing one in Cairns during the wet season was not a comfortable situation but it did help).

Cheers

arose62
2nd June 2005, 12:08 PM
I'm a touch-typist and worked in IT for about 15 years. I found that after about 10 yrs, my arms & fingers were starting to play up, so I switched to the MS Natural keyboard (the one thats all curvy, and has the keys divided into two separate sections). This helped for about a year, then the pain started to come back.

I did some research, and then switched to the Dvorak layout (instead of the standard QWERTY). It took a couple of weeks to get back up to speed, but I've never had any problems since.
As a bonus, my co-workers now never touch my PCs, as they can't work out the way that press one key gives a different character.

Cheers,
Andrew

RufflyRustic
2nd June 2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info to date.

I used to have a wrist guard, but I developed too much muscle doing woodwork and bowling so it no longer fits. However, I do have a wrist wrist for mousing work which makes a big difference.

I am sitting up straight, egronomically etc, but did need the reminder :o - thanks Keith.

I have a natural keyboard at home, but have found I don't need it at work anymore as I'm not so keyboard-oriented anymore as I was for data entry and hours of straight typing. But - the natural keyboard stopped people using my pc which was good.

I haven't needed to get a Dvorak keyboard yet, but looked into it a few years ago. Yes, it would be the keyboard I'd use if things go bad. I'd love to see their faces when they see your keyboard and try to use it :D

Thanks
Wendy

AlexS
2nd June 2005, 09:37 PM
Heard today about a new keyboard for supernerds - it's a natural keyboard, but there are no markings on any of the keys. The idea is that it shows you're a supernerd because you don't need them, and stops people borrowing your keyboard.

SWMBO reckons that all typists of her vintage learned to type blind anyway.

DavidG
2nd June 2005, 09:43 PM
Don't muck round. Get both wrists cut. No problems then. :D :D :D

Seriously I had Carpal tunnel in both wrists. Terrible pain, particularly at night. After the ops I am as good as new. :)

gatiep
2nd June 2005, 10:16 PM
As a bonus, my co-workers now never touch my PCs, as they can't work out the way that press one key gives a different character.

Cheers,
Andrew

Mmmmmmm maybe I've got one of dem keyboards. I always get different characters when I "type" and I peck with one finger only!

Studley 2436
2nd June 2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Wendy
Being a Chef before I was a Pro Photographer I suffered both tennis elbow and golfers elbow. It was nasty and debilitating. It bothered me recently enough too. Getting a wrist rest helped me past it this time. Nurofen is a really great help getting better too. What I did in the past which worked really well for me was excercising it out with light weights. You hold a 2kg barbell in your hand palm facing down with your arm resting on a bench and flex down then lift it up and turn it outwards as you lift up. Do 15 reps followed by another 15. It got me back from a nasty injury I had from rolling too many Pizza doughs by hand.

Stevo

bitingmidge
2nd June 2005, 10:40 PM
I actually had an RS Eye for a year, but a special lens and a leather patch and it's almost good as new now.

P
:D

Harry72
2nd June 2005, 11:42 PM
I've got a bad elbow/hands and sholder/neck problems, nothing to do with keyboards... caused by using large jackhammers cutting up lead spills at work where cranes and forklifts couldnt get to it, we would cut it up into 8-10"x 1" thick squares so it could be lifted out by hand(hot backbreaking young mans work...).
Thank god they got rid of the old continous flow process and comisioned a batch based process instead.
As a result with my right elbow I cant use a screw driver more than about 2 20mm screws or play my stringy piece of wood for more than 1/2hr, makita helps me with the screws and I dont play the guitar much anymore!

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2005, 11:57 PM
I suppose you wouldn't use one of these then????

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=135914&postcount=1

journeyman Mick
2nd June 2005, 11:59 PM
Wendy,
no carpal tunnel problems (yet :rolleyes: ) but ongoing problems with both shoulders (worn out) and elbows/forearms (tendons tearing :( ) all caused by (industrial) woodworking :rolleyes: . Doctors keep recomending anti-inflamatories (which I can't have) and pain killers (which I don't want as I reckon if it doesn't hurt I'll just damage it more). They then suggest surgery which I'm not keen on, but I know lots of guys that have had surgery for all these complaints. I try to avoid using hand tools where possible and also hand held power tools. If hand sanding is causing problems then you need to avoid it like the plague but using a sander may cause more problems because of the vibrations.

Mick

Cliff Rogers
3rd June 2005, 12:02 AM
...an RS Eye ....and a leather patch ...AArrrrhh! Thart'll be th' reason for th' loiking fer wooden boats... ;)

keith53
3rd June 2005, 10:23 AM
Perhaps this might help http://www.glasbergen.com/images/g18.gif

:D

RufflyRustic
3rd June 2005, 10:45 AM
I suppose you wouldn't use one of these then????

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=135914&postcount=1

Why use that when I have my own :eek:

RR

RufflyRustic
3rd June 2005, 11:01 AM
Stevo - Thanks for the exercise. Spot on actually.
AlexS - I learnt to type with a box over the keyboard - worked well too.
BitingMidge - :D :D :D

JourneyManMick - yes - avoiding sanding like the plague would be nice. Having tools that do it for me is good but would have to do a lot of trying before buying. I am concerned about the vibration too, it does funny things to my hands. Soundman showed me a nice Metabo orbital sander at the Bris WShow which was a good weight with little vibration. DeWalt have a light & small sander too for about $158, but testing is needed. Maybe I should simply hire someone to the the sanding for me, barter a deal, I'll make it, you sand it....

Cheers
Wendy

arose62
3rd June 2005, 01:03 PM
Hey, you don't need to pay anything if you want to switch to the Dvorak layout.
Keep your existing keyboard - you just install a new "language layout", which comes standard with just about all versions of Windoze, and most recent Linuxes.

Under Control Panel, Keyboard, then Add. Pick English again, but with the Dvorak layout.

The default is to press the left hand Alt+Shift keys to switch from Dvorak to Qwerty and back, so mere mortals can use the keyboard too if needed.

Cheers,
Andrew

arose62
3rd June 2005, 01:29 PM
Hey, you don't need to pay anything if you want to switch to the Dvorak layout.
Keep your existing keyboard - you just install a new "language layout", which comes standard with just about all versions of Windoze, and most recent Linuxes.

Under Control Panel, Keyboard, then Add. Pick English again, but with the Dvorak layout.

The default is to press the left hand Alt+Shift keys to switch from Dvorak to Qwerty and back, so mere mortals can use the keyboard too if needed.

Cheers,
Andrew

AlexS
3rd June 2005, 07:32 PM
Somewhere in the latest AWR there are gel gloves that are suposed to help avoid white-knuckle etc when sanding - I'll see if I can find it & post the details.

The Metabo ROS is a beauty, very little vibration, but I don't have RSI so can't comment on it from that aspect.

E. maculata
3rd June 2005, 08:07 PM
The vibration esp fast oscillation can cause circulatory and nerve damage to the fingers and hand areas, known as "whitefinger" or reynads syndrome, found frequently in jackhammer operators and old tree fellers who used the old solid mount chainsaws, My own issues of a broken wrist and carpal tunnel can be a bugga, but if I rest the hand (being relatively ambidextrous can be a bonus :p )and wear a good wrist brace and all comes good for a while. Unfortunately different bodies respond to different stimulii, so what works for me may be a dead loss for others.

johnc
3rd June 2005, 10:17 PM
I get a bit of RSI from time to time, although the physio I go to says it's not but the osteopath I alternate with says it is. These days I sit at a key board although it doesn't get constant use, but sitting up straight with elbow higher than hands is supposed to help and if the elbow is annoying me I will rest the wrists on something. I tend to put on thick leather gloves when sanding to cut down the vibration on the old Bosch ROS, I must look at the metabo mentioned earlier in the posts. Hammers and screwdriving remain a problem. I no longer drive in garden posts with a 4lb dump, but stick to a 2lb toy. Even hammering I tend to pick up the lightest hammer for the job, but screwdriving remains a problem, thank goodness for battery operated drills, sometimes a bit and brace, but seldom with a straight driver except for the last bit to adjust the screw home.

JohnC.

ROB NZ
4th June 2005, 09:12 PM
I sympathise with all sufferers of afflictions of the hands, (shoulders, elbows and other moving parts).

I have had "tenotomy" to release "trigger finger" in both hands, and have been warned carpal tunnel affliction, which is a near neighbour of trigger finger, and also Dupuytrens syndrome, is a future possibility for me.

Trigger finger, (referred to by a previous infamous NZ Minister of Finance who had it, as "taxgatherers claw") is a hereditary condition, exacerbated by use of the fingers (and who doesn't).

One or more of your fingers will not release naturally after you have gripped something, and forcing the finger to release, results in a painful snap, the "trigger" effect.

Anyway, for sufferers, get to an orthopaedic surgeon without delay and have the op. The pain afterwards, in the hand, and in the credit card is relatively shortlived..

My hands were dealt to, separately 4 and 6 years ago, and the freedom to use my hands now is marvelous. I have been cladding a large shed (12m x8m in 250x50 boards and batten) over the last few months, and have had no had problems.

Also recommended for bone and joint "lubrication" is glucosamine and condroitin, as well as a regular beer or so.

Cheers,

ROB

glenn k
4th June 2005, 09:28 PM
wendy
Try Glucosamine Chondroitin before anything else. Look at http://drtheo.com/ to read about it. A friends knees were bone on bone he started taking the stuff now he plays squash again.
I take it every now and again and do some stretches by pushing my hands back and forwards. Since doing this I have little to know trouble with my fingers, wrists, elbows and knees.

barryr
5th June 2005, 12:16 PM
Don't muck round. Get both wrists cut. No problems then. :D :D :D

Seriously I had Carpal tunnel in both wrists. Terrible pain, particularly at night. After the ops I am as good as new. :)
Lucky , lucky bastard . Had both mine done in the mid nineties for a double failure . The keyboard isn't the problem for me , it's holding the mouse , or for that matter holding anything for long (no , my thingy doesn't count) .
Basically use as many power tools as you can , even then holding on to em hurts !
I just put up with the pain or start scoffing Nurofen's , besides , my back usually gives out first (hmm , more Nurofen)

AlexS
5th June 2005, 11:18 PM
Somewhere in the latest AWR there are gel gloves that are suposed to help avoid white-knuckle etc when sanding - I'll see if I can find it & post the details.

Sorry, couldn't find the ad, but I reckon if you try a chainsaw place they could point you in the right direction.

if I come across the ad I'll post it straight away.

RufflyRustic
6th June 2005, 09:56 AM
Very interesting reading - thank you. Great website too - thanks.

Yes - am slowly training my left hand to do some sanding for me. Looks like I'll be getting a friend's belt sander in the next two weeks, which will certainly help a lot.
I got the girls to do some sanding for me this weekend - was working well, then I turned my back and they were gone :(

I have to watch the neurofen - especially if it's the Plus-type. Interesting side effect of getting high, very quickly, for an hour or so.

Cheers
Wendy

RufflyRustic
6th June 2005, 03:02 PM
Therma Skin Wrist Guards

Hi Flea1607

Could you tell me some more about the Therma Skin Wrist Guards? How do you find them? Do they get too hot or uncomfortable?

Thanks
Wendy

barryr
6th June 2005, 04:36 PM
I have to watch the neurofen - especially if it's the Plus-type. Interesting side effect of getting high, very quickly, for an hour or so.

Cheers
Wendy
really , how many you taking at a time ? or is there just not much of you for it to have to work on ?
I take a couple of the Plus and after about an hour I get some pain relief (I do weigh a lot though) , a couple of beers on top don't seem to make much difference either (not recommended for other people).
Might pester my doctor to send me back for another go at the wrist op's , I heard it's a different procedure these days !
Maybe get em to fit a wooden back and neck while there at it , the bone ones that came standard seem to have worn out too quick .:eek:

scooter
6th June 2005, 04:46 PM
Why use that when I have my own :eek:

RR

Ruffly's got you there Cliff :p

Would be useful to relieve stress for the rest of us tho' ...

Cheers........Sean the brinkman

AlexS
6th June 2005, 10:14 PM
Came across a couple of letters in an old FWW that recommended gel palm cycling gloves. Any good bike shop should have them.

flea1607
7th June 2005, 12:07 AM
Hi Wendy

Thermoskins I get from the chemists. My guard slips over hand. Thumb slip through a hole and so from knuckes down about 18cm in length (about 10cm past wrist). I find they are very comfortable but I have been using it for probably 15 or 16 years. Not so much now though. The only time it got hot and uncomfortable was when playing volley ball (I swear it improves the serve), from sweat. Otherwise no probs. Hope this helps.:)

Cliff Rogers
7th June 2005, 12:32 AM
Ruffly's got you there Cliff :p

Narh, you try & use a mouse on ya chin & see how ya go. :D

RufflyRustic
7th June 2005, 09:37 AM
really , how many you taking at a time ? or is there just not much of you for it to have to work on ? ....

Hi Barry,

Let's just say I won't fade away too quickly. It seems to be a family thing being sensitive to the 'deine of pain killers. I get high - only takes two N+ and I'm up there Kazally [sic]. My niece hallucinates but the doctor gave her way too much, an OD actually, I think she was about 6. Very scary time. Had a day op about 4 years ago, the doctor had the best time watching me come down from the drugs. Thank Goodness I'm a happy high drunk :D

RufflyRustic
7th June 2005, 09:40 AM
Narh, you try & use a mouse on ya chin & see how ya go. :D
At least the wrist would be supported, more than comfortable, :D but holding the mousemat under the chin would hurt the neck after a while. ;)
RR

RufflyRustic
7th June 2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks Flea1607

I'll see what I can find about the place.

cheers
Wendy

Simomatra
16th June 2005, 02:17 PM
Hi Rustic

Try Cliff's, link,it looks great real thing much better though

I had both done years ago and no probs since. the op is much simplier today may even be day surgery.

Have a look at accurpuncture they say they can fix without the op.

Both at one time is a real pain but the nursing was great

regrards
simomatra

Ashore
16th June 2005, 02:37 PM
Both at one time is a real pain but the nursing was great

regrards
simomatraUntil your wife made you come home after a shower wasn't it

Rgds H.S.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Simomatra
16th June 2005, 05:15 PM
Ashore

Should have stayed annoyimages/icons/icon10.gifimages/icons/icon10.gifimages/icons/icon10.gif

Ashore
17th June 2005, 12:50 AM
Ashore

Should have stayed annoyimages/icons/icon10.gifimages/icons/icon10.gifimages/icons/icon10.gifYou should never have told me sam

. They call it PMS because "mad cow disease" was already taken.

RufflyRustic
18th July 2005, 04:47 PM
An update: Since I first posted this message, I've been careful of what I've done with my hands while sanding. I got HWMNBO's orbital out of his shed and also got a friend's gmc belt sander. While both are pathetic they are better than hand sanding, and, no pain!!!! It's funny, I get more twinges from everyday stuff than from sanding, but even the twinges are very few and far between now. Have been given some more finger/hand exercises and they seem to be working too.

Moral of the story - rest hands unless doing wood work :D

cheers
RufflyRustic

Stuart
18th July 2005, 04:56 PM
Not to belabour what has already been a full topic, and no, I haven't searched closely to see if has been suggested yet, but have a look at Dragon - saves typing at all (or at least a lot less!) A basic version is built into Windows XP, although it is like version 5 when they are up to about version 8 in the wild.

Good to hear things are settling down :)

rod1949
19th July 2005, 11:38 AM
Wendy,
no carpal tunnel problems (yet :rolleyes: ) but ongoing problems with both shoulders (worn out) and elbows/forearms (tendons tearing :( ) all caused by (industrial) woodworking :rolleyes: . Doctors keep recomending anti-inflamatories (which I can't have) and pain killers (which I don't want as I reckon if it doesn't hurt I'll just damage it more). They then suggest surgery which I'm not keen on, but I know lots of guys that have had surgery for all these complaints. I try to avoid using hand tools where possible and also hand held power tools. If hand sanding is causing problems then you need to avoid it like the plague but using a sander may cause more problems because of the vibrations.

Mick
Try using Turmeric powder (a natural anti-inflamatory), sprinkled on your meals

Barry_White
19th July 2005, 12:22 PM
Like some have said its been done to death but I suffered Carpel Tunnel and RSI from working in the building trade for years.

Like others have suggested to use the Glucosimine but also add to that high potency vitamins and minerals such as Usana, Neways or Natures Nutritionals Mega Potency Womens Multi Vitamins with selenium.

The first two you would have to find a distributor for the last one is available from any chemist. The last one is also the cheapest. But as the saying goes are you going to trust your health to the lowest bidder.

Try here.
www.usana.com

or here
http://www.neways.com.au/